R.i.p. George kennedy, star of 'cool hand luke,' 'airport' and 'the naked gun'

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
R.I.P. GEORGE KENNEDY, STAR OF 'COOL HAND LUKE,' 'AIRPORT' AND 'THE NAKED GUN'

George Kennedy, who won an Academy Award for his role alongside Paul Newman in 1967's Cool Hand Luke, passed away Sunday in Boise, Idaho. He was 91.

The New York native, who got his start in show business at the age of two, became a fixture of television westerns in the 1960s. In between, he served 16 years in the U.S. Army. His credits include just about every oater of the small screen, titles such as Have Gun - Will Travel (in which he played seven different roles), Gunsmoke, Bonanza, The Virginian, The Big Valley and more.

In the 1970s, Kennedy became a household name as the star of Hollywood distaster films, including four Airport flicks and Earthquake. He shifted gears into comedy in the subsequent decade, becoming a fixture of The Naked Gun movies late in his career. He was no stranger to humor, however, as he got his break in television as an advisor on The Phil Silvers Show.

He also appeared as a cop in the great Blue Knight, which we recently included in our top TV movies of the 1970s, and as a recurring character on Dallas.

R.I.P. George Kennedy, Academy Award-winning actor dead at 91 | Consequence of Sound

Ludlow

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 7, 2014
wherever i sit down my ars
Rest in peace "Dragline". ~ shut your mouth motherhead about my Lucille~

Cool Hand Luke is without question my favorite movie and all of the characters seem like old friends to me. I have my DVD of the movie and still watch the movie from time to time. I feel somewhat melancholy right now if that is the right word because most of my old friends on that movie are gone. Now, it's dragline. Paul Newman, Ralph Waite, Dennis Hopper, Wayne Rogers, Strother Martin and others, all gone now. George Kennedy played in a lot of shows never the lead role but a character actor and one of the best. I watched a clip of his academy award acceptance speech and there were no political causes, no social issue to grandstand like Dicaprio forced on us last night. Just pure gratitude, humility and class by the man. I miss the old actors and actresses. I guess because I'm getting old. I'm from a different era , a different generation. And the good ole days seem to be passing away. I hope Mr. Kennedy fairs as well as he did here, on his next journey.

Dixie Cup

Senate Member
Sep 16, 2006
Edmonton
Simply loved the guy! He was so good as a dramatic as well as a comedic actor. Ludlow, you couldn't have said things better - he was a class act!