Patients will pay the price for Ont. nurse layoffs, association warns

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Money for whirly gigs, EV charging stations, corporate subsidies but none for health care.

TORONTO - The Ontario Nurses' Association is sounding the alarm about layoffs of Registered Nurses by cash-strapped hospitals, and warns patients will pay the price.

The union, which represents 60,000 registered nurses, says there were 770 RN positions cut across Ontario last year, and hospitals in Windsor and Kitchener have already announced more RN layoffs this month.

The hospitals decided to "risk the health outcomes of patients by cutting RNs to balance the budget," said ONA president Linda Haslam-Stroud.

Windsor Regional Hospital cut about 120 RN positions this week, but said it plans to hire 80 registered practical nurses, who do not need a university degree. The Grand River Hospital in Kitchener cut 38 RN jobs this week.

More cuts.Ontario Nurses Associations warns hospital layoffs will hurt patients - Winnipeg Free Press

Johnnny

Frontiersman
Jun 8, 2007
Third rock from the Sun
Ontario is run by the liberals... they screwed up mining in this province royally, I guess medical services are next.

We would be so much better off if the bloc was running our provincial government

Jinentonix

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 6, 2015
Olympus Mons
Money for whirly gigs, EV charging stations, corporate subsidies but none for health care.

TORONTO - The Ontario Nurses' Association is sounding the alarm about layoffs of Registered Nurses by cash-strapped hospitals, and warns patients will pay the price.

The union, which represents 60,000 registered nurses, says there were 770 RN positions cut across Ontario last year, and hospitals in Windsor and Kitchener have already announced more RN layoffs this month.

The hospitals decided to "risk the health outcomes of patients by cutting RNs to balance the budget," said ONA president Linda Haslam-Stroud.

Windsor Regional Hospital cut about 120 RN positions this week, but said it plans to hire 80 registered practical nurses, who do not need a university degree. The Grand River Hospital in Kitchener cut 38 RN jobs this week.

More cuts.Ontario Nurses Associations warns hospital layoffs will hurt patients - Winnipeg Free Press
That's just the first step. Wait until the GPs get replaced by nurse practitioners.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
$20M for charging stations could have reopened how many beds?

Well c'mon now, it's not as if the baby boomers are aging and we'll be in need of increased healthcare services!

Charging stations and ridiculous subsidies for electric cars is the feel good story of the year!

*cough, cough* I'm sorry, I chocked a bit in the sarcasm.....I should go get some water.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island

SErves them right for voting NDP.

The people that drive Teslas don't need hospital beds. They need to freely move about the province like people that drive real cars do. Maybe the electric ambulances can be plugged in while they are waiting space in ER for their customers.

Take a trip to the back woods of Kentucky and you'll appreciate what you have.

Little kids with rotten teeth and such,,

Obummer will provide.

personal touch

House Member
Sep 17, 2014
alberta/B.C.
That's just the first step. Wait until the GPs get replaced by nurse practitioners.
won't be happening,each has different expectations and differences on how they are going to operate.

it is not about "opening beds",this is lingo and organizational projection which seems it belongs in the 80's,
you are dating yourself petros.
"opening beds"lingo has a serious history and a predictability.........it just seems like old thinking,in which i struggle to comprehand.

personal touch

House Member
Sep 17, 2014
alberta/B.C.
i guess i was quick on response without explaining,you are correct to point out nurse practitioner's are working towards autonomy within the design of health care,we witnessed this recently with the passing of legislation for nurse practitioners to write prescriptions.
what i should have clarified is nurse practioners are not going to work in a doctors office,health centre,etc as a subbordanate?to physcians.attempts by provincial Health recruiters to place practioners in strange postions in medical/psychiatric/rehab hospitals has failed as no nurse practioner is going to do medical assessments under the authority of physcians,possibly their are practioners,but these are not the professionals I am acquainted with.Practioners are paving their own way and doing a good job of doing so.Just check out nurse Practioner clinics in British Columbia.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Just check out nurse Practioner clinics in British Columbia
Yeah, they are swamped with people who stubbed their toe and will die without paying the $300 bribe charged by nurse practitioners for quasi legit medicinal weed access. That is crossing the line into diagnostics and doing more than Rx refilling. My pharmacist can write an Rx too but he only makes a sale and not dinging Provincial health at $125 for the same thing.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.

Is it possible there are 770 R.N. positions that could be better served by practical nurses? (I'm not sure what R.N.s do that practical nurses can't but I'm sure there are several procedures) Just playing Devil's advocate. :)

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
One is two year college the other four years of university. It's like comparing a skilled labourer to site manager if it were a construction site. impracticals get their orders from RNs who do as ordered by the Dr.

personal touch

House Member
Sep 17, 2014
alberta/B.C.
Yeah, they are swamped with people who stubbed their toe and will die without paying the $300 bribe charged by nurse practitioners for quasi legit medicinal weed access. That is crossing the line into diagnostics and doing more than Rx refilling. My pharmacist can write an Rx too but he only makes a sale and not dinging Provincial health at $125 for the same thing.
would you like some cheese with these opinions?