Cheap gas leaves electric vehicle sales stuck in neutral

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Americans bought about 13,000 battery-powered and plug-in hybrid vehicles in December – one of the best months on record for those kinds of cars and trucks.

But that’s only about four days worth of sales of the Ford Motor Co. F-Series pickup, underlining how difficult it is to convince drivers to buy more fuel-efficient vehicles when a gallon of gas at U.S. pumps costs considerably less than $2 (U.S.).

Cheap gas leaves electric vehicle sales stuck in neutral - The Globe and Mail

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
We will all be snickering at the 'smart' people who decided to buy pick ups etc., when the price goes back to $1.30 a litre and they start complaining about how much it costs them.

As for electric cars, they will find their way when they get better battery life.....

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
We will all be snickering at the 'smart' people who decided to buy pick ups etc., when the price goes back to $1.30 a litre and they start complaining about how much it costs them.

As for electric cars, they will find their way when they get better battery life.....

Electric cars are not feasible.. you can't go long distances.. they are only good for city driving.. are you going to pay $50,000 for a car you can leave the city with???

Hydrogen cars are the future..

Hydrogen Fuel Cell vs. Electric Cars: Which Will Drive Us Into the Future?

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit

And every Saturday morning I will still tell my friends "no, I will not help you pick up blah blah blah from IKEA."

Last edited:

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Even a trip to Costco is out of the question for an EV.

Not unless you put you box of cheerios on a roof rack.

davesmom

Council Member
Oct 11, 2015
Southern Ontario
I can't imagine electric vehicles catching on in any big way. Drivers like to drive, they don't want to stop and recharge.
Anyhow what's the big advantage? Producing hydro is not exactly environment friendly is it? Neither are batteries.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan

Yeah, those poor buggers....

Campare that to Hybrids with same sized motors....

I found these here: Fuel Economy

The truck is an EcoDiesel....& it's a Truck.

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
I can't imagine electric vehicles catching on in any big way. Drivers like to drive, they don't want to stop and recharge.
Anyhow what's the big advantage? Producing hydro is not exactly environment friendly is it? Neither are batteries.
Yea here in B.C. they want every body to drive an electric or hybrid but don't want site c.

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
And anyone who believes that a pick up gets even equal mileage, never mind better than cars , just based on aero dynamics alone, qualifies for a zero%, no payments for 6 months, 8 year loan.

After the Volkswagen, Ford, Honda, Hyundai etc., lawsuits we should all be aware by now that the claims are submitted to the govt by the manufacturers and are indeed compiled under 'laboratory conditions' and 'actual results will vary upon, weather and (I like this one best) "the individuals driving style"

But don't let that stop you from buying one, just don't complain when the price of gas goes higher......

The Environmental Protection Agency wants auto makers to road test the mileage claims they submit after a rash of recent inflated fuel-economy claims based on wind tunnel and other laboratory measurements.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/epa-wants-mpg-claims-road-tested-1405355624

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Sorry Poopsie. I use an OB2 to read my mileage on F-150. It's precise and I do get 26mpg on us gal

That is with a V8 Coyote engine not V6 twin turbo egoboost.

bill barilko

Senate Member
Mar 4, 2009
Vancouver-by-the-Sea
Not just electric car sales-low fuel prices reverberate all over the planet.

Canals Feel Ripples of Container Shipping Crisis as Vessels Go the Long Way Round

An intersection of the new and existing lanes of the Suez canal.

(The Loadstar) – The Panama and Suez canals could be the next institutions to be affected by the ongoing crisis in the container shipping industry, according to new analysis from Africa ports analyst and monitoring service portoverview.com

The twin factors of cellular overcapacity and rock-bottom bunker costs have, over the past year, led carriers to divert multiple sailings away from the world’s two principal trade arteries and reroute vessels around the southern African cape.

Its six-month report for the second half of 2015 quoted analysis from SeaIntel (portoverviw.com co-owner), which showed that since the end of October 2015, 115 vessels deployed on Asia-USEC and Asia-North Europe services have made the back-haul trip to Asia by sailing round the Cape of Good Hope rather than through the canals despite using them on the headhaul legs.

Three of these vessels were deployed on Asia-North Europe services, while the remaining 112 were returning to Asia from the US east coast.

“Normally, 78 of those voyages would have gone through the Suez Canal, and as 53 of the voyages were in 2015, it would have meant that the number of container vessel passing the Suez Canal in 2015 would ‘only’ have decreased by 1.9% year-on-year, instead of the reported 2.8%. The other 37 vessels would normally have passed through the Panama Canal,” portoverview.com said.

“SeaIntel concludes that both the canals face a significant challenge in the current low bunker price, as it means that for many services it is cheaper to sail south of Africa on the backhaul than to use the canal routings,” it added.

“The canals have a particular disadvantage in regard to the USEC-Asia services, where it is currently economically viable for 14 out of 22 services to sail south of Africa on the backhaul, and it would probably be viable for almost all of them if intermediate port calls were dropped.”

It is even viable for sailings from North Europe to Asia to route via South Africa, “if the intermediate calls were dropped or switched to other services”, it said.

“Currently, the carriers are only using the south of Africa routing on the backhaul legs and retaining the transit time, but considering the financial situation of most carriers, and keeping in mind the relative ‘ease’ with which the carriers implemented both slow-steaming and super slow-steaming, going south of Africa on the head-haul is going to look very alluring for some carriers, if indeed they can re-route the cargo from the intermediate port calls.”

There is a further, compelling, reason for carriers to route via South Africa: in addition to avoiding canal transit fees, the elongated sailing route, which adds another week to transit times, could potentially “soak up” between 60-80 vessels, of which half would be ultra-large container vessels, and take out some of the industry overcapacity which is causing freight rate volatility.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
I live on the prairies and I put a lot of miles on my SUV. Pretty sure and electric car wouldn't work for me.
In theory you get so much engine fuel from 1 barrel of 'average oil', the rest goes to the molds for all the products that are in demand. In driving terms if the plastic industry is busy vehicles should be getting 12mpg average. Big block engines get that whether you are sitting at a light or hauling it up at hill at full throttle. The real advantage is when you let off the gas you actually show down and downshifting one gear is a force that few cars can generate going forward. With tickets the way they are no body would have a driving permit longer than 6 months. The fastest big block was in a early Camaro and a cop once asked me asked me what size engine I had as he handed me a ticket for $75 and let me keep the rest of the beer. Great car for driving on mountain highways. 20 cars in one swoop on the Glacial Parkway. The trip from Lake Louise to Banff and back would had had one jail filled if they had grabbed anybody involved. At 1 point the Harley was 10 ft in front of my bumper and the engine was at 3500 so it was close to 100mph. Actually we would have all got shot dead today, and rightly so considering how drunk we all were and the number of traffic infractions.

Since those days will never be back a method of replacing the manufacturing is the answer and 50mpg engines would be the norm. Rather than shipping just oil and wheat and money east a few trains of raw hemp will let them learn how to weave hemp stalks.
AB imports wooden mats from the southern US swamps to use as mats on well sites that flex under heavy loads. They are reused many times before they are broken.. Canadian Hemp mats could replace that should they be needed in the future. Being 'cheap and long lasting' the various weaves can be used on any road that flexes to the extent it needs endless maintenance. Expensive and long lasting doesn't justify the expense once profits are included. Fixing you own 'trail' means your road is smooth and long lasting once the hemp is incorporated. The advantage is it isn't lumber so you can use it in more than one application.
You need fields for the plants so that means the Prairies, where the equipment comes from is optional. Since is a non-existant industry today the steel mills could be used to manufacture the equipment needed to make the growing and harvesting easy. The experimenting would be in the harvesting methods and letting the stalks freeze over the winder might result in finer fibers than the green plant being bundled soon after being.
Being at a certain latitude should allow you carbon credits under a northern living allowance mandate before you pay any such tax. The ones in the tropics are charges so much so they have to use gadgets that create carbon as the green parts add add too much O2 that get a check rather than a bill at the end of a decade.

What time does the night crew show up?

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
Did I mention I'm peed at Notley for raising the price of Oil, hence gas.......?

Tesla’s state-of-the-art Battery is backed by this Battery Limited Warranty, which covers the repair or replacement of any malfunctioning or defective Battery, subject to the limitations described below. If your Battery requires warranty service, Tesla will repair the unit, or replace it with a factory reconditioned unit that has an energy capacity at least equal to that of the original Battery before
the failure occurred. Your vehicle’s Battery is covered under this Battery Limited Warranty for a period of 8 years or for the number of miles/km specified below for your Battery configuration, whichever comes first:

• 60 kWh - 125,000 miles (200,000 km)

• 85 kWh - unlimited miles/km

https://www.teslamotors.com/sites/d.../model_s_new_vehicle_limited_warranty_2.1.pdf