Gravitational waves finally detected in massive breakthrough Einstein predicted a cen

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003

The first direct detection of a gravitational wave by a pair of observatories in the United States will offer science a new way of seeing the universe, a sort of gravitational wave astronomy, physicists say.

Leaders of the LIGO experiment, twin observatories in Louisiana and Washington State, announced Thursday that, back in September, their devices detected a split-second ripple through space-time caused by some distant cosmic cataclysm.

“Until this moment we had our eyes on the sky and we couldn’t hear the music,” said Columbia University astrophysicist Szabolcs Marka, a member of the discovery team. “The skies will never be the same.”

It was the shock wave from the merging of two black holes 1.3 billion years ago, each about 30 times the mass of the Sun, said David Reitze, a physicist and a spokesman for the team.

“What’s really exciting is what comes next,” said Reitze, comparing it to Galileo’s pioneering use of the telescope. “We will also hear things that we never expected, and as we open a new window onto the universe, we may see things we have never seen before.”

September’s discovery prompted a flurry of analysis to make sure this was a real signal. It marked the first time a binary black hole has been observed merging. Most importantly, though, it was the first direct observation of a gravitational wave, predicted a century ago by Albert Einstein, in his theory of general relativity, which introduced the concept of a four-dimensional structure to the universe, known as space-time. Einstein predicted that waves could ripple through this structure, like a swell on the ocean or sound through the air, and the century since has seen many efforts to detect the biggest of these, created in the explosions of supernovae, the collision of two black holes, or the whirling orbital dance of a pair of neutron stars.

Ligo, which uses lasers to measure the distance between two large mirrors as it is distorted by passing gravity waves, was the biggest investment ever made by the National Science Foundation, and a huge risk. Reitze called it a “scientific moon shot,” and said its significance will be measured by what comes next, in the new field of gravitational wave astronomy.

It is in this sense like discovering a new wavelength of light. The Planck surveyor satellite, for example, looked out into the cosmos in the microwave and infrared spectrum. It was able to see back in time all the way to the orangey reddish lingering flash of the Big Bang, and prove how the universe is expanding.

Being able to observe gravitational waves will likewise offer a chance to watch the grandest events in the cosmos.

“This is the first time that you’re really testing general relativity in the limit that the gravitational fields are very very strong. It’s not just a new window in astronomy, but it’s a new window in terms of testing gravity, and I think that’s one of the big questions — how well can we test Einstein’s theory and how well does it predict these signals that we’re seeing, and what can we learn,” said Sean Tulin, a theoretical physicist at York University.

the rest and videos: Gravitational waves finally detected in massive breakthrough Einstein predicted a century ago

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
Cool stuff, Twila.

Yes, very cool but there is a sad and melancholy edge to it. Once again, Einstein has been proven right. He is yet to be proven wrong and it is looking as if he not be. That will mean that deep space, interstellar exploration will be all but impossible, that we will never meet another intelligent species out there. The best that we can hope for is perhaps capturing a wisp of electromagnetic transmission from thousands or millions of years ago to prove that we are not alone.

It is a very lonely thought but the relativistic problems of distant space flights will keep us below sub-light speeds as Einstein's speed of light is a limit that we can never actually reach without attaining infinite mass and therefore infinite kinetic energy. If we reach the speed of light we will, essentially become everything.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
Eat it up guys.

Stephen J. Crothers: Black Holes, General Relativity and Newtonian Gravitation

Posted on November 28, 2012 by B Talbott
For several years now, far from the spotlight of mainstream media, a controversy has been brewing over the mathematical foundations of black hole theory and other widely accepted cosmological theories. Mathematician Stephen J. Crothers has offered the proofs that he says refutes the very … Continue reading →

The first step to understanding the issues is to see that black hole theory and big bang theory are contradictory and therefore mutually exclusive. A black hole universe and a big bang universe cannot coexist. The simplest way to see this is by merely comparing the list of generic defining characteristics of black hole universes and big bang universes.
All alleged black hole universes:
(1) are spatially infinite
(2) are eternal
(3) contain only one mass
(4) are not expanding
(5) are either asymptotically flat or asymptotically curved.
The alleged big bang universes:
(1) are spatially finite (one case) or spatially infinite (two cases)
(2) are of finite age
(3) contain radiation and many masses, including multiple black holes (some of which are primordial)
(4) are expanding
(5) are not asymptotically anything.
A simple comparison of the two lists immediately reveals that the black hole and the big bang are defined very differently. The defining features of the black hole contradict the defining features of the big bang. Consequently the black hole and the big bang are mutually exclusive. No mathematics is required to see this because it is a matter of elementary logic.
The terms asymptotically flat and asymptotically curved need perhaps a few more words of explanation. Asymptotically flat simply means that with increasing radial distance from the black hole the alleged infinite spacetime curvature at its singularity changes and gets closer and closer to zero (i.e. flatness). Asymptotically curved simply means that with increasing radial distance from the black hole the alleged infinite spacetime curvature at its singularity changes and gets closer and closer to a finite non-zero value (i.e. to some curved spacetime such as anti-de Sitter spacetime). The spacetimes of all alleged types of big bang universes are not asymptotically anything.
Now, upon what set of Einstein's field equations and upon what solution thereto do the proponents of the black hole and the big bang rely for multiple black holes in an expanding big bang universe that is of finite age and is not asymptotically anything? None! They have no such set of field equations let alone a solution. They simply superpose black hole universes upon big bang universes and generally don't even specify which type of black hole universe and which type of big bang universe they superpose. In this way the black hole big bang universe is arbitrarily manufactured.
The types of black hole alleged are: (1) non-rotating, electric charge neutral; (2) non-rotating, and electrically charged; (3) rotating, and electric charge neutral; (4) rotating, and electrically charged.
There are three alleged types of big bang universe: (1) spatially finite (constant positive spacetime curvature); (2) spatially infinite (flat - or otherwise of zero spacetime curvature); (3) spatially infinite (constant negative spacetime curvature).
THE PRINCIPLE OF SUPERPOSITION
Einstein's field equations are nonlinear. Consequently the Principle of Superposition is invalid in General Relativity. One cannot th

Black Holes and Big Bangs Contradictory

( So which type of black hole was found in which type of universe?)

Last edited:

Ludlow

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 7, 2014
wherever i sit down my ars
Eat it up guys.

Stephen J. Crothers: Black Holes, General Relativity and Newtonian Gravitation

Posted on November 28, 2012 by B Talbott
For several years now, far from the spotlight of mainstream media, a controversy has been brewing over the mathematical foundations of black hole theory and other widely accepted cosmological theories. Mathematician Stephen J. Crothers has offered the proofs that he says refutes the very … Continue reading →

The first step to understanding the issues is to see that black hole theory and big bang theory are contradictory and therefore mutually exclusive. A black hole universe and a big bang universe cannot coexist. The simplest way to see this is by merely comparing the list of generic defining characteristics of black hole universes and big bang universes.
All alleged black hole universes:
(1) are spatially infinite
(2) are eternal
(3) contain only one mass
(4) are not expanding
(5) are either asymptotically flat or asymptotically curved.
The alleged big bang universes:
(1) are spatially finite (one case) or spatially infinite (two cases)
(2) are of finite age
(3) contain radiation and many masses, including multiple black holes (some of which are primordial)
(4) are expanding
(5) are not asymptotically anything.
A simple comparison of the two lists immediately reveals that the black hole and the big bang are defined very differently. The defining features of the black hole contradict the defining features of the big bang. Consequently the black hole and the big bang are mutually exclusive. No mathematics is required to see this because it is a matter of elementary logic.
The terms asymptotically flat and asymptotically curved need perhaps a few more words of explanation. Asymptotically flat simply means that with increasing radial distance from the black hole the alleged infinite spacetime curvature at its singularity changes and gets closer and closer to zero (i.e. flatness). Asymptotically curved simply means that with increasing radial distance from the black hole the alleged infinite spacetime curvature at its singularity changes and gets closer and closer to a finite non-zero value (i.e. to some curved spacetime such as anti-de Sitter spacetime). The spacetimes of all alleged types of big bang universes are not asymptotically anything.
Now, upon what set of Einstein's field equations and upon what solution thereto do the proponents of the black hole and the big bang rely for multiple black holes in an expanding big bang universe that is of finite age and is not asymptotically anything? None! They have no such set of field equations let alone a solution. They simply superpose black hole universes upon big bang universes and generally don't even specify which type of black hole universe and which type of big bang universe they superpose. In this way the black hole big bang universe is arbitrarily manufactured.
The types of black hole alleged are: (1) non-rotating, electric charge neutral; (2) non-rotating, and electrically charged; (3) rotating, and electric charge neutral; (4) rotating, and electrically charged.
There are three alleged types of big bang universe: (1) spatially finite (constant positive spacetime curvature); (2) spatially infinite (flat - or otherwise of zero spacetime curvature); (3) spatially infinite (constant negative spacetime curvature).
THE PRINCIPLE OF SUPERPOSITION
Einstein's field equations are nonlinear. Consequently the Principle of Superposition is invalid in General Relativity. One cannot th

Black Holes and Big Bangs Contradictory

( So which type of black hole was found in which type of universe?)
There now by gawd let that be a lesson to all you posers not to tread on Darkbungchute's area of expertise.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
Hmm when I started reading this I thought What?
But it actually is somewhat understandable if one
can piece it together life a matching rotating puzzle
I can't claim to understand it all but i get enough to
be interested in learning more thanks for the lesson
Notice this topic has not yet been filled with anger and
debate

Jinentonix

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 6, 2015
Olympus Mons
So just what is the BFD anyway?

Have the basic laws of physics been changed somehow?

Please use small words since I'm Not Very Smart.
Well, it's evidence that definitely suggests there are more than 3 dimensions.

It does bring up one other remote possibility, a budget version of "warp drive". If you could somehow harness the power of gravitational waves, a spacecraft could "surf" them and achieve speeds otherwise unobtainable. Of course inertial dampeners will have to be invented to prevent any crew on board from becoming stains on the ship cabin's back wall.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
Einstein was a circus act and a con man, he stole everything he published from a patent office he worked in. The weak force gravity does not exist in the absence of the EM field that permeates the whole extent of the universe. The last fifty years of his work produced nothing usefull except headlines.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
I think it is 'cool' because 100 years ago a man with nothing more than his brain and a chalk board was able to envision something like this.

Jinentonix

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 6, 2015
Olympus Mons
Einstein was a circus act and a con man, he stole everything he published from a patent office he worked in. The weak force gravity does not exist in the absence of the EM field that permeates the whole extent of the universe. The last fifty years of his work produced nothing usefull except headlines.

SCIENCE: because nothing was ever discovered by people praying for sh*t.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
I think it is 'cool' because 100 years ago a man with nothing more than his brain and a chalk board was able to envision something like this.

Read his history, he was scum right from the beginning, his mission was to eclipse Tesla who actually made the twentieth century what it was and his work is still applicable. Einstien was a despicable liar and con man, he is responsible for the retardation of physics. The garvity particle nor waves exist anywhere in the universe, they do not work on paper they do not work in the real universe. Hawkings has replaced him as the worlds science poster boy.
If the bakers and thier government minions had not starved Tesla of funding and marginalized him and his work, energy would be just about free and the world would be a very much more civilized place. While most of the electrical gear we use everyday is Teslas work he has been relegated to oblivion by liars and fools. Nobody can calculate the damage done to human development done shuntting Tesla into the shade of the vermin Einstien. You've heard of AC electricity well it fills everyones house and lives

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
No arguments from me about Tesla, DB. I've read about him and watched documentaries on his many inventions.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
No arguments from me about Tesla, DB. I've read about him and watched documentaries on his many inventions.

Oh good, I was reaching a steaming flip out. I need a tiny rest now, at least the heart didn't explode. I get really crazy when I run into the Eistienian myths.

SCIENCE: because nothing was ever discovered by people praying for sh*t.

Hmmm, I have left a list of Einstiens contributions to phyics below.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
Oh good, I was reaching a steaming flip out. I need a tiny rest now, at least the heart didn't explode. I get really crazy when I run into the Eistienian myths.

Hmmm, I have left a list of Einstiens contributions to phyics below.

I just find it fascinating that decades and decades after some dude came up with a new theory their hypothesis is supported by modern science.

Jinentonix

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 6, 2015
Olympus Mons
Read his history, he was scum right from the beginning, his mission was to eclipse Tesla who actually made the twentieth century what it was and his work is still applicable. Einstien was a despicable liar and con man, he is responsible for the retardation of physics. The garvity particle nor waves exist anywhere in the universe, they do not work on paper they do not work in the real universe. Hawkings has replaced him as the worlds science poster boy.
Einstein and Tesla were working completely different areas in physics. Einstein was purely a theoretical physicist, Tesla was interested in the more applicable aspects of physics, particularly power generation.