SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Quebec looking at law to limit scattering of ashes

CTVNews.ca Staff
Published Tuesday, February 9, 2016 10:05PM EST
Last Updated Wednesday, February 10, 2016 12:17AM EST
Quebec is exploring the possibility of instituting a new law that limits the areas where people are allowed to scatter the ashes of their loved ones.
The province's proposed Bill 66 bans the dispersal of ashes in various public and private spaces as a way to respect “the dignity of the deceased.”
Some religious groups and funeral institutions are arguing that ashes should only be kept in a cemetery or a columbarium.
"If you want to remember the memory of this person, you (should) have a place where they are," said Yoland Tremblay, general manager of the Notre-Dame-Des-Neiges, which is the largest cemetery in Canada.
Some funeral directors say the current law regulating disposal of remains, which was instituted in the 1970s, is outdated. At the time, a church funeral, a casket and a burial in a cemetery were the traditional rites of passage.
Now, nearly 70 per cent of Quebecers choose to be cremated, and about a third of them want their loved ones to scatter their ashes in their honour.
Denis Desrochers, who represents the province's funeral home directors, told CTV News that having a designated space for ashes will help simplify the process facing grieving families.
"After a while, there is a heavy burden of to deal with the remains of your loved one," said Desrochers.
Most provinces don't have laws imposing strict limits over the scattering of ashes, but other countries, including France, don't allow it and have banned the keeping of urns at home.
But Maureen Rowe, whose husband of 34 years was cremated after he died, says scattering his ashes in her garden, and along the routes where he trained for the marathons he used to run, allows her to keep him close by.
"He was the love of my life," said Rowe.
"We used to talk about growing old together."
And Rowe says that a new law governing where she could spread his ashes, would sever that personal connection to the process.
"This is just an instance of me doing something on my own that just involves me and my husband -- nobody else," said Rowe.
"It is enough we pay income tax, we don’t have to pay with ashes for heaven's sakes."

Quebec looking at law to limit scattering of ashes | CTV News

Interesting. Having recently been involved with dealing with the final decisions after the death of an extended family member, and definitely feeling like it was nothing but a "hand-out, pay me, pay me now" situation, I've been considering scattering cremains as an option for myself.

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
I'm not going to knock Quebec directly here, but I think this
is B.S. The scattering of a loved ones ashes is a personal
thing and the Gov't (any of them) can butt the hell out.

If they bring this law in, I believe (hope?) it's be generally
ignored. My parent's ashes are spread in some Saskatoon
bushes in a very pretty place in the valley close to us, that
was an important place to the two of them. The ashes of
three of my girlfriends dogs are spread there also now for
the same reasons.

Does this somehow contribute to pollution or some other
such dreck? Don't know, but doubt it very much.

Enforcing this rule if it comes in? Good luck Gov't. They'll
have to have their death police running around with battery
powered shop vac's like the Ghost Busters.

If they ban having Urns with ashes at home, bring your Loved
one home in a ziplock freezer bag, 'cuz they wont be in there
for long. This, I'm assuming, is another crazy money grab....

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
My dad wants his ashes put in the sand trap on the #5 hole of the golf course he's been a member at since 1978. He figures he's spent enough time there, he may as well spend eternity. The golf course said they won't "allow" it but they said what they don't know won't hurt them.

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
My dad wants his ashes put in the sand trap on the #5 hole of the golf course he's been a member at since 1978. He figures he's spent enough time there, he may as well spend eternity. The golf course said they won't "allow" it but they said what they don't know won't hurt them.

Exactly!!! A few minutes with some loved ones present,
and it's done. If asked, you respond, "What ashes?".....
and your Dad's wishes are fulfilled.

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009

CTVNews.ca Staff
Quebec is exploring the possibility of instituting a new law that limits the areas where people are allowed to scatter the ashes of their loved ones.
The province's proposed Bill 66 bans the dispersal of ashes in various public and private spaces as a way to respect “the dignity of the deceased.”
Some religious groups and funeral institutions are arguing that ashes should only be kept in a cemetery or a columbarium.
"If you want to remember the memory of this person, you (should) have a place where they are," said Yoland Tremblay, general manager of the Notre-Dame-Des-Neiges, which is the largest cemetery in Canada.
Some funeral directors say the current law regulating disposal of remains, which was instituted in the 1970s, is outdated. At the time, a church funeral, a casket and a burial in a cemetery were the traditional rites of passage.
Now, nearly 70 per cent of Quebecers choose to be cremated, and about a third of them want their loved ones to scatter their ashes in their honour.
Denis Desrochers, who represents the province's funeral home directors, told CTV News that having a designated space for ashes will help simplify the process facing grieving families.
"After a while, there is a heavy burden of to deal with the remains of your loved one," said Desrochers.
Most provinces don't have laws imposing strict limits over the scattering of ashes, but other countries, including France, don't allow it and have banned the keeping of urns at home.
But Maureen Rowe, whose husband of 34 years was cremated after he died, says scattering his ashes in her garden, and along the routes where he trained for the marathons he used to run, allows her to keep him close by.
"He was the love of my life," said Rowe.
"We used to talk about growing old together."
And Rowe says that a new law governing where she could spread his ashes, would sever that personal connection to the process.
"This is just an instance of me doing something on my own that just involves me and my husband -- nobody else," said Rowe.
"It is enough we pay income tax, we don’t have to pay with ashes for heaven's sakes."

Quebec looking at law to limit scattering of ashes | CTV News

Interesting. Having recently been involved with dealing with the final decisions after the death of an extended family member, and definitely feeling like it was nothing but a "hand-out, pay me, pay me now" situation, I've been considering scattering cremains as an option for myself.

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
I would like my ashes to be either shot into the sun, shot into the black hole at the centre of the milky way, put at the centre of the Yellowstone supervolcano. my ashes would probably just end up being dumped into the closest pond, river, lake, or sea. :(

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.

CTVNews.ca Staff

I think I have a better idea- get put on ice so I can come back later as the new and improved version. :) :)

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
I suspect the ashes must be scattered in a French way. If they are scattered in an English way, the scattering must be less prominent than the French.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
I think I have a better idea- get put on ice so I can come back later as the new and improved version. :) :)

Ha I harbour no delusions....I just don't like the idea of being put in the ground or on a shelf somewhere. The idea of being free, scattered to the winds is very appealing.

Might finally be my chance to see the world, lol.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Ha I harbour no delusions....I just don't like the idea of being put in the ground or on a shelf somewhere. The idea of being free, scattered to the winds is very appealing.

Might finally be my chance to see the world, lol.

To each his/her own - the thought of being set on fire doesn't really appeal to me!

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
For what it's worth, the owner of the ashes have ceased to care what happens to the ashes after they have become ashes. The funeral homes should be thankful the ashes are carted away, otherwise they foot the bill and there are not too many disposal sites around that take human ashes. (with no receipt)

You're dead, you won't feel it...

I want my ashes spread in the Caribbean.. In a nice warm place..
Shark's belly is nice and warm.