Duchess of Cambridge carries out first engagement as honorary head of the Air Cadets

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
The Duchess of Cambridge dazzled crowds yesterday with a daring Alexander McQueen coat as she carried out her first engagement as Honorary Air Commandant of the Air Cadets.

While speaking to cadets, she revealed that Prince George has a passion for aeroplanes suggesting he would one day join the organisation himself.

Lucinda Conder, 19, said that the Duchess told her she had shown Prince George images of Spitfires following a Royal engagement which had fired his imagination.

"He is now obsessed with the air cadets and wants to join," said Ms Conder, from Hammersmith in west London.

"We are going to have to push that one when he gets to age 12."

Kate assumed her new role in December, taking on the post from the Duke of Edinburgh who had been involved with the organisation for more than 60 years. The organisation this year celebrates its 75th anniversary.

True Blue: The Duchess of Cambridge wows in Alexander McQueen outfit as she carries out first engagement as honorary head of the RAF Air Cadets

Kate celebrates the group's 75th anniversary after taking over the role from the Duke of Edinburgh

By Agency, video source ITN
07 Feb 2016

The Duchess of Cambridge has dazzled crowds with a daring Alexander McQueen coat as she carried out her first engagement as Honorary Air Commandant of the Air Cadets.

Catherine Duchess of Cambridge RAF Air Cadets 75th Anniversary at St Clement Danes church, London Eddie Mulholland / TELEGRAPH

While speaking to cadets, she revealed that Prince George has a passion for aeroplanes suggesting he would one day join the organisation himself.

Lucinda Conder, 19, said that the Duchess told her she had shown Prince George images of Spitfires following a Royal engagement which had fired his imagination.

"He is now obsessed with the air cadets and wants to join," said Ms Conder, from Hammersmith in west London.

"We are going to have to push that one when he gets to age 12."

Kate assumed her new role role in December, taking on the post from the Duke of Edinburgh who had been involved with the organisation for more than 60 years. The organisation this year celebrates its 75th anniversary.

Catherine Duchess of Cambridge RAF Air Cadets 75th Anniversary at St Clement Danes church, London Eddie Mulholland / TELEGRAPH

The Duchess now represents 42,000 air cadets aged from 12 to 19 and 15,000 adult volunteers at more than 1,200 units across the UK and abroad.

At the RAF church of St Clement Danes in central London on Sunday Kate joined the congregation for a service to mark the anniversary.

The Duchess of Cambridge at a service at RAF church St Clement Danes Photo: Eddie Mulholland/The Telegraph

She wore an Alexander McQueen coat, Lock hat and Air Cadets Dacre brooch that was traditionally presented to the best female cadet. The brooch was presented every year between 1982, when girls were first admitted, up until last year, when it was agreed that girls should receive a sword like their male counterparts.

"It is quite an honour (to wear the brooch). I was the last cadet to wear it, and now she is wearing it. It is the best accessory," said Ms Conder who was the best female cadet in 2015.

In a message in the order of service, the Duchess said she was delighted to represent the cadets. "The Air Cadets bring genuine benefit to our young people and indeed wider society," she said.

Baroness Thatcher's funeral was held in the church

Afterwards she will be guest of honour at a reception at the Royal Courts of Justice where the cadets will get the chance to meet their new patron.

Group Captain Carol Vorderman, former co-host of long-running Channel 4 gameshow Countdown Photo: Eddie Mulholland/The Telegraph

The Duchess will also have the chance to learn more about their numerous programmes and activities by chatting to cadets, veterans and adult volunteers.

Follow

Carla Prater
@CarlaPrater

#HRH #Duchess of Cambridge arriving for 75th anniversary of #RAF Air Cadets @DefenceHQ @Forces_TV @bfbs
11:05 AM - 7 Feb 2016

20 38

The RAF Air Cadets comprises both the Air Training Corps (ATC) and the Combined Cadet Force (RAF).

The 75th anniversary year of the RAF Air Cadets Photo: Eddie Mulholland/The Telegraph

The ATC was first established in 1941 during the Second World War, with the aim of training young men in aviation skills before they joined the RAF.

Carol Vorderman, a qualified pilot, described the Duchess as an ideal figurehead for the organisation.

She said: "Her husband is a pilot. Her brother-in-law is a pilot. Her father-in-law is a pilot. Her mum used to work in an airline. She obviously has a great appreciation of the military and enthusiasm for youth. "

Video: True Blue: The Duchess of Cambridge wows in Alexander McQueen outfit as she carries out first engagement as Honorary head of the RAF Air Cadets - Telegraph

Last edited:

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
I joined the Army Cadets in 1994. I was in it for about three weeks or so. It was boring. Just marching around the parade ground and sweeping up. The army cadets place was in a former army barracks just round the corner from where I live which was built in the 1930s. It's now a place where homeless people sell second-hand furniture.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
Public appearances come with a security force and they are not a gift from or to anybody. What happens in Church is between her and God, just like it is for everybody. Any publications on what the sermon said, as that was a speech made to 'the Public'?

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
I joined the Army Cadets in 1994. I was in it for about three weeks or so. It was boring. Just marching around the parade ground and sweeping up. The army cadets place was in a former army barracks just round the corner from where I live which was built in the 1930s. It's now a place where homeless people sell second-hand furniture.

Three whole weeks ...

What a short attention span.

Anyway, It's definitely not for "delicate" children, anyway.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Three whole weeks ...

What a short attention span.

Anyway, It's definitely not for "delicate" children, anyway.

That was actually something of a record. In about 1996 I joined the Boy Scouts. I think I was in it for about a week before I got bored and told them all that I'm resigning.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004

No, just boredom. I also vaguely remember going to the Cubs when I was even smaller with one of my mates from Masefield Primary School, but I wasn't there for long. I was member of Little Lever Secondary School's Chess Club for quite a while, though.