White Zimbabwean farmer frogmarched from farm after claim by black British doctor

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
As moronic students at Oxford say they "refuse to back down" after Oriel College refused to take down the statue of Cecil Rhodes - students who should devote more of their time to actually studying rather than worrying about the university's statuary and who, in many cases, are only able to attend Oxford due to them having their entire fee covered by the Cecil Rhodes Foundation, which the great man set up - this is what is going on in Zimbabwe, a country Rhodes founded...

White Zimbabwean farmer frogmarched from farm after claim by British doctor

Police raid Phillip Rankin's farm, place him in handcuffs and pack up his possessions to enforce a claim for land by a Nottingham GP, Dr Sylvester Nyatsuro

Phillip Rankin and his wife Anita Photo: Tsvangirayi Mukwazhi/The Telegraph

By Peta Thornycroft, Harare and Aislinn Laing in Johannesburg
31 Jan 2016
The Telegraph

A white Zimbabwean farmer has been handcuffed and forcibly removed from his farm after police stormed the property to enforce a claim made by a British doctor.

Phillip Rankin was first ordered off his tobacco farm in September last year following a claim for land made by Dr Sylvester Nyatsuro, who was born in Zimbabwe but now has British citizenship.

At dawn last Friday police dug their way under the fence around the Rankins' homestead, banged on the side door and told Mr Rankin that they would force their way in if he did not open the door.

Eventually, Mr Rankin said he let the police in, who proceeded to take all his furniture outside the house and loaded it onto lorries, then drove away.

Police stormed the property at dawn

Mr Rankin said he prepared to leave the house and police dragged him from his vehicle, handcuffed him and drove him to a police station nearly 90 miles from the farm.

Mr Rankin, who was later released and is now staying with relatives on a nearby farm told the Telegraph he was “terribly shocked”. His lawyer said the police had no arrest warrant and told her “leave us” when the officers were informed their actions were unlawful.

Barry Rankin, 32, the older of the three Rankin children who worked on the farm, said on Sunday: “I think we have finally accepted that we are not going back to the farm. I have also cleared out our house on the farm to avoid our things being broken up as happened when the police took my parents' furniture and their piano.”

He took the precaution of moving his wife and three young children to Harare late last year.

"We have now consulted with our pastor and we know it is over,” he said. “I don’t know what will happen to the tobacco crop as we are not allowed to be here and work.”

He said his parents were staying with relatives in the area. “We are all finished,” he said.

The Rankins' lawyer Nyarodzoh Maposa said: “All of this is lawless. It’s disgraceful. There’s no charge against him.”

Phillip Rankin and his wife Anita Photo: Tsvangirayi Mukwazhi/The Telegraph

Zimbabwe (formerly Rhodesia) became independent of Britain in 1980

An arrest warrant was issued for Mr Rankin, 57, in January when he failed to vacate the property as per the land claim, but was later suspended.

Dr Nyatsuro, a 45-year-old GP who runs a slimming clinic in Nottingham, arrived at the tobacco farm, Kingston Deverill, in September with a letter from the government allocating the land to him.

Political sources in Harare suggested the doctor - whom Mr Rankin said was accompanied by his wife, Veronica and government officials, had family connections to Grace Mugabe, the president’s wife.

Two weeks after Dr Nyatsuro departed, around 20 settlers moved into a vacant cottage on the farm in Centenary district, 145 miles north of Harare.

When the Telegraph visited the property earlier this month, the settlers were living in the cottage on the estate and one of them was using a car registered to Dr Nyatsuro according to documents at the vehicle registry office in Harare.

Mr and Mrs Rankin said they were facing mounting legal bills to defend themselves against a prosecution by the state for allegedly “trespassing” on the land they had farmed for over 30 years.

Dr Sylvester Nyatsuro with wife Veronica Nyatsuro

Earlier this month the Rankins said they could not “take the pressure any more”, but did not want to leave before harvesting a £300,000 tobacco crop they obtained a loan to plant.

“I would leave this farm, walk away, if the British pay me compensation for my farm and all the things on it," said Mr Rankin.

The couple, who used to own 2,000 acres which has gradually been whittled away, also employ 40 permanent workers who live with their families on the farm and at least 20 “casuals” during peak season.

Outside the tobacco farm

About 20 white farmers and their workers were killed and many more assaulted during the land invasions that started in 2000 and saw around 90 per cent of white-owned farms seized, helping to bring the country’s economy close to collapse. In February last year, there were warnings that Zimbabwe's approximately 300 remaining white farmers were under renewed threat from a rash of new land claims.

Peter Steyl, the president of the Commercial Farmers’ Union, said that Mr Rankin had been doing “the best he could under difficult circumstances”.

“Zimbabwe is in deep trouble and no one is taking responsibility,” he said.

A Foreign Office spokesman voiced concern that the seizure of the farm "did not follow the process as described by the constitution".

"We are aware of the allegation that the beneficiary of this farm may be a British citizen," added the spokesman. "We will consider what further action to take."

Lawyers for Dr Nyatsuro said he is a mere third party in the dispute which is between Mr Rankin and the state.

They deny Dr Nyatsuro’s applied for specific ownership of Mr Rankin’s farm and say it was allocated to him because it was state land and it was up to Mr Rankin to prove otherwise. They also said that the police intervention was not at the behest of Mr Nyatsuro and he has not been awarded possession of the farm following police action.

In a statement to the Nottingham Post, a lawyer acting for the couple said they were awarded the farm “in full accordance with the requirements of the Government’s Minister of Land and Rural Settlement”.

The statement denied that Dr Nyatsuro was among those who went to take possession of the farm.

White Zimbabwean farmer frogmarched from farm after claim by British doctor - Telegraph

Last edited:

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
All tobacco farms should be destroyed. Cigarettes cause diseases .

If somebody wants to smoke who the hell are you to tell them not to? You sound like the British Nanny State. Bloody Elf N' Safety Madness.

Ludlow

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 7, 2014
wherever i sit down my ars
All tobacco growers and tobacco company CEO's should be flogged,,,,and then hung,,,and then shot by firing squads for producing a substance that has killed millions.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Of course, I fully expect this to be THE big news story of the week for the BBC, who'll cover it incessantly non-stop.

I expect it'll make the front page of The Guardian which, in typical Guardianista fashion, will have a poignant front page showing photos of all those white farmers who have been forcibly evicted from their land by a tyrranical, brutal and racist regime with the headline "MUGABE'S SHAME".

There will be a big debate on the issue on the BBC's Question Time, in which the vetted Left-wing audience will clap and cheer incessantly any of the politicians on the show who say that Britain will "get tough" on Mugabe and return the white farmers to their land.

Students at Oxford, who obviously care so much about racism and bigotry that they want certain statues of people they deem to be racist and bigoted removed from their college, will take to the streets of that city holding up placards saying "RACIST MUGABE OUT!" and "WE SUPPORT THE RANKINS".

Oh, sorry. I must have been dreaming...

Last edited:

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Sit and watch your sister slowly waste away from small cell lung cancer and tell me how you feel about tobacco dipshyt.

Why my sister? Why not my brother or my father or my mate Stuart?

I hate the bloody anti-smoking brigade. If someone wants to smoke then it's up to them. What the bleeding hell has it got to do with you whether people smoke or not? It's a pleasurable activity which millions of people partake in everyday.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
I love it when you support Israel's claim to their land.

They never inhabited the land Palestine never. In all their years of digging for archeological proof they have not unearthed even one pot shard of proof. Their history is very well known though not widely. They are not Semites, they have no valid claim to Palestine, and they have no valid claim to the title Israel, they are not Israelis. They are liars thieves and murderers. And that's all there is to them. The city Jerusalem never existed in it's present geographic location. All that was ever there was a tiny little dust bowl known to the Arabs as Al-Quds.

Last edited:

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
They never inhabited the land Palestine never. In all their years of digging for archeological proof they have not unearthed even one pot shard of proof. Their history is very well known though not widely. They are not Semites, they have no valid claim to Palestine, and they have no valid claim to the title Israel, they are not Israelis. They are liars thieves and murderers. And that's all there is to them.
Your grasp of history is as funny as your understanding of common law.

Ludlow

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 7, 2014
Good idea, blame someone else for your sister's inability to control herself.
If you know for a fact that you produce a substance that is responsible for the death of millions and you continue to do so then you are guilty of putting profit ahead of the health of human beings. I don' t buy your fvcked up justification for irresponsible actions of corporations killing people. Fvcking idiots declare drugs that kill illegal yet it's okay to produce a drug that kills more than any of those illegal drugs. Your rationale is hypocritical, and one sided. Legalize every damn thing that kills people and then it will be justified. Put profit ahead of human lives and at least be honest about it hypocrite.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
If you know for a fact that you produce a substance that is responsible for the death of millions and you continue to do so then you are guilty of putting profit ahead of the health of human beings. I don' t buy your fvcked up justification for irresponsible actions of corporations killing people. Fvcking idiots declare drugs that kill illegal yet it's okay to produce a drug that kills more than any of those illegal drugs. Your rationale is hypocritical, and one sided. Legalize every damn thing that kills people and then it will be justified. Put profit ahead of human lives and at least be honest about it hypocrite.
That's nice.

At least I know you think alleged criminality is OK, as long as you don't dig the victim.

I hope you find yourself in the same position one day.

Ludlow

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 7, 2014
Many are quitting these days as I have and my other sisters have and maybe one day we can put the bastards out of business that way since you fvcked up freedom for killers fighters want to protect your "right" to kill.

That's nice.

At least I know you think alleged criminality is OK, as long as you don't dig the victim.

I hope you find yourself in the same position one day.
yeah that made sense

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Yes lots of stupid comments that don't make sense go over my head. Maybe I need to learn to see things from the fvcked up point of view.
I never though of being against human rights violations as being a f@cked up point of view.

I can only imagine how stupid one would have to be to think so. But here we are.