'Black lives are cheap at Oxford' - Uproar over decision to keep Cecil Rhodes statue

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Finally, sanity prevails!

After getting used to seeing, in recent years, certain institutions, celebrities, scientists and politicians cowardly backing down under the onslaught of the PC Twitterati after the PC Twitterati were "offended" by the un-PC actions or un-PC words of said certain
institutions, celebrities, scientists and politicians, it's nice to see an institution not backing down and telling the PC Twitterati to go f*ck themselves...

Uproar over decision to keep Cecil Rhodes statue at Oxford College

Students say they will keep their fight to remove the statue as they say the decision shows "black lives are cheap at Oxford"

By Javier Espinoza, Education Editor
29 Jan 2016
The Telegraph
536 Comments

Angry students at Oxford University have vowed to keep campaigning for the removal of the statue of Cecil Rhodes after a college decision to keep it.

Follow

Sizwe Mpofu-Walsh
@SizweMW

The Rhodes statue issue is far from over. By reneging on their agreement, Oriel & co have made a big mistake. Stay tuned. #RhodesMustFall

10:33 AM - 29 Jan 2016

14 19

Oriel College has said it decided after "careful consideration" to keep the statue despite a campaign by student activists who claimed it represented racism and oppression.

The college said it received an "enormous amount of input" when it consulted on whether to keep the statue, including a petition by campaign group Rhodes Must Fall, signed by more than 2,000 people.

Oriel College with its statue of Cecil Rhodes

The Telegraph exclusively reported that donors had threatened to withdraw gifts and bequests worth more than £100 million if it was removed.

An Oriel spokesman insisted the financial implications were "not even a major factor" in the decision, despite a letter sent to the governing body of the college from Sean Power, Oriel's development director and the man in charge of fundraising, warning of the financial implications of removing the statur.

Power noted in his report that the college had been criticised by "major public figures across the political and academic spectrum" and that little had been written in support of its actions.

But now members of the Rhodes Must Fall (RMF) movement have said that the college has made “a big mistake” and have threatened more action.

Sizwe Mpofu-Walsh, one of the student leaders, wrote on Twitter: “The Rhodes issue is far from over. By reneging on their agreement, Oriel (and company) have made a big mistake. Stay tuned.

Last December, Oriel College had said they would hold a six-month “listening” exercise from next month to see whether the statue should stay. That’s no longer the case and they will only discuss what sort of context should be placed around the statue.

Ntokozo Qwabe, the Rhodes Scholar who has campaigned to remove the statue, wrote on his Facebook page: "The decision by Oriel College to unilaterally reverse its public commitments on Rhodes, without any consultation, basically reminds us that black lives are cheap at Oxford."

In a statement, the group Rhodes Must Fall said: "This recent move is outrageous, dishonest, and cynical.

"This is not over. We will be redoubling our efforts and meeting over the weekend to discuss our next actions." The group added: "The struggle continues."

A spokesman for the college said: "The overwhelming message we have received has been in support of the statue remaining in place, for a variety of reasons.

The statue of Cecil Rhodes at Oriel College

"The college's governing body has decided that the statue should remain in place and that the college will seek to provide a clear historical context to explain why it is there."

Rhodes served as prime minister of the British Empire's Cape Colony, including South Africa, in the early 1890s and has been linked to apartheid-style policies.

A Rhodes legacy fund provides scholarships for overseas students, but some students argue the statue should be taken down because he was a racist.

The Telegraph can disclose that £1.5m in donations have already been cancelled, and the college feared more wealthy donors could walk.

College leaders admitted the controversy surrounding the statue had shone a light on the low numbers of black and ethnic minority students admitted, and the issue of discrimination on campus.

A spokesman said: "The campaign to remove Oriel's statue of Rhodes has highlighted other challenges in relation to the experience and representation of black and minority ethnic students and staff at Oxford.

"Oriel takes these very seriously and, as previously announced, is taking substantive steps to address them."

And he said the statue was "an important reminder of the complexity of history and of the legacies of colonialism still felt today".

Oriel College will seek expert opinion on how to give context to the statue and a nearby plaque to Rhodes, which they will also keep in place.

Rhodes was a student at Oxford and a member of Oriel College in the 1870s. He left money to the college on his death in 1902.

Scholarships in his name have so far been awarded to more than 8,000 overseas students.

The college has distanced itself from his views, saying in a statement last month: "Rhodes was also a 19th-century colonialist whose values and world view stand in absolute contrast to the ethos of the scholarship programme today, and to the values of a modern university."

The decision comes after the University of Cape Town last year decided to remove a similar statue of the man, following a student protest.

A spokesman for Oriel College said: "The financial implications were absolutely not the overriding consideration - not even a major factor in the decision that was made."

Uproar over decision to keep Cecil Rhodes statue at Oxford College - Telegraph

Ntokozo Qwabe, the Rhodes Scholar who has campaigned to remove the statue, wrote on his Facebook page: "The decision by Oriel College to unilaterally reverse its public commitments on Rhodes, without any consultation, basically reminds us that black lives are cheap at Oxford."
Just like those feminists who protested rabidly against the OED using the term "rabid feminist", these people just don't see the extreme irony, do they?

Here we have a foreigner - Ntokozo Qwabe - who wants the statue of Cecil Rhodes removed yet the only reason why he's studying at Oxford in the first place is because he's on a Rhodes Scholarship, which describes itself as "perhaps the most prestigious scholarship" in the world and which was created by the great Rhodes himself to promote civic-minded leadership among "young colonists" with "moral force of character and instincts to lead," for the purpose of "extending British rule throughout the world...the consolidation of the Empire, the restoration of Anglo-Saxon unity..."and the foundation of so great a Power as to render wars impossible and to promote the best interests of humanity."

So, in other words, if it wasn't for Cecil Rhodes the likes of Qwabe probably wouldn't be studying at Oxford right now. The sheer irony is lost on these people.

Last edited:

Jinentonix

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 6, 2015
Olympus Mons
And yet he's still permitted to attend. I mean I gotta ask, why would someone apply for a college or university with statuary that "offends" them? Will Mr. Qwabe be dropping his title of "Rhodes Scholar" because it's offensive and demeaning?
I'm betting he'll keep it because it'll open more doors for him.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Finally, sanity prevails!

After getting used to seeing, in recent years, certain institutions, celebrities, scientists and politicians cowardly backing down under the onslaught of the PC Twitterati after the PC Twitterati were "offended" by the un-PC actions or un-PC words of said certain
institutions, celebrities, scientists and politicians, it's nice to see an institution not backing down and telling the PC Twitterati to go f*ck themselves...

Uproar over decision to keep Cecil Rhodes statue at Oxford College

Students say they will keep their fight to remove the statue as they say the decision shows "black lives are cheap at Oxford"

By Javier Espinoza, Education Editor
29 Jan 2016
The Telegraph
536 Comments

Angry students at Oxford University have vowed to keep campaigning for the removal of the statue of Cecil Rhodes after a college decision to keep it.

Follow

Sizwe Mpofu-Walsh
@SizweMW

The Rhodes statue issue is far from over. By reneging on their agreement, Oriel & co have made a big mistake. Stay tuned. #RhodesMustFall

10:33 AM - 29 Jan 2016

14 19

Oriel College has said it decided after "careful consideration" to keep the statue despite a campaign by student activists who claimed it represented racism and oppression.

I'm not sure if I understand this but it seems to me there's some who want to see Cecil Rhodes banished from history because his mores and values don't coincide with the mores and values of 2016! Have I got that right?

Jinentonix

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 6, 2015
Olympus Mons
I'm not sure if I understand this but it seems to me there's some who want to see Cecil Rhodes banished from history because his mores and values don't coincide with the mores and values of 2016! Have I got that right?
Yep.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
And yet he's still permitted to attend. I mean I gotta ask, why would someone apply for a college or university with statuary that "offends" them? Will Mr. Qwabe be dropping his title of "Rhodes Scholar" because it's offensive and demeaning?
I'm betting he'll keep it because it'll open more doors for him.

Yep. These Lefties sometimes just don't see the irony in their actions. If it wasn't for Rhodes, Qwabe would not be attending one of the world's greatest educational establishments. Instead, he'd still be living in his mud hut village attending his village school:

It's like those feminists who protested against the OED's use of the phrase "rabid feminist" by protesting rabidly to the OED.

Yep.

But I bet these Oxford Lefties are big fans of Mugabe, who'll they see as a hero opposed to the British rule in the country - British rule which made Zimbabwe (formerly Rhodesia, after the great Cecil Rhodes, of course, who founded the country) the breadbasket of Africa - despite the fact that thousands of Zimbabweans have been killed under his brutal, despotic regime.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Rhodes Must Fall activists blast crowdfunder set up to compensate waitress: ‘the white conservatives are rallying’

Steerpike

The defaced statue of Cecil Rhodes is removed from the University of Cape Town

Steerpike
1 May 2016
The Spectator

On Friday, Mr S reported that Oxford’s Rhodes Must Fall co-founder Ntokozo Qwabe had revelled in making a ‘white waitress’ cry at a restaurant in Cape Town. The incident occurred after Qwabe’s friend wrote a note to the waitress explaining they would only tip her when she ‘returned the land’.

Qwabe — who studies law at Oxford (on a Rhodes Scholarship) — has since refused to apologise, instead hitting out at the response by the ‘hysterical white media’. Happily others are feeling more compassionate. After news of the incident broke, Sihle Ngobese sought out the waitress and gave her a tip in protest of Qwabe’s behaviour:

Follow

Sihle Ngobese
‎@SihleDLK

1) Screw #RhodesMustFall!
2) Screw #NtokozoQwabe!

I gave the waitress a R50 tip & the kindness didn't cost a thing!

8:04 PM - 29 Apr 2016

110 230

Speaking to the South African site News24, Ngobese said that someone who ‘claims to speak to the downtrodden and disenfranchised’ should not ‘bully a working class young woman’. The kind gesture has since inspired a crowdfunder campaign — set up by Roman Cabanac — which aims to help compensate the waitress for the ordeal by providing her with a sizeable tip. This has so far raised over £1,400 for the woman:

The Renegade Report ‎
@Renegade_Report

We're crowdfunding a tip for waitress abused by #RhodesMustFall hate group. Deposits to Capitec Acc 139 287 4317. Admin by @RomanCabanac.

7:22 PM - 29 Apr 2016

104 97

Alas not everyone is so pleased by the gesture. Although Qwabe is a co-founder of the Oxford Rhodes Must Fall movement, the original Rhodes Must Fall campaign in South Africa —- which saw the Cecil Rhodes statue fall in Cape Town — have now got involved. The campaign group — which claims it fights institutional racism — have used their official Twitter account to wade into the debate. They say that the crowdfunder shows ‘the white conservatives rallying behind the protection of their privilege’:

However, given that the original donor cannot be described as a ‘white conservative’, they ought to think again.

Rhodes Must Fall activists blast crowdfunder set up to compensate waitress: 'the white conservatives are rallying' | Coffee House