Canada ranked ninth least corrupt country in the world

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Britain is tenth.

I'm rather proud of the fact that political corruption in Britain usually consists of nothing more than MPs spending taxpayers' money on buying floating duck houses for their garden ponds.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Britain is tenth.

I'm rather proud of the fact that political corruption in Britain usually consists of nothing more than MPs spending taxpayers' money on buying floating duck houses for their garden ponds.

Corrupt f**king bunch! :) :)

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Corrupt f**king bunch! :) :)

I know. The MPs' expenses scandal back in 2009 showed just how MPs were using their taxpayer-funded allowances to buy things like floating duck ponds and chocolate bars. It was the then Tory MP for Gosport, Sir Peter Viggers, who bought the floating duck house for his garden pond out of his allowances. He ended up stepping down over it.

It was a big scandal that year, but when you compare it to the rampant political corruption that's rife in other countries it just seems relatively minor.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
Scandinavians are scamming everyone with their goodie-two shoes charade. It's all a massive conspiracy.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
I know. The MPs' expenses scandal back in 2009 showed just how MPs were using their taxpayer-funded allowances to buy things like floating duck ponds and chocolate bars. It was the then Tory MP for Gosport, Sir Peter Viggers, who bought the floating duck house for his garden pond out of his allowances. He ended up stepping down over it.

It was a big scandal that year, but when you compare it to the rampant political corruption that's rife in other countries it just seems relatively minor.

How much for the rest of the property? Me thinks that would be the corruption goodies and the duck house his what is income should have gotten him as living accomidations.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
Something tells me we used to be higher in the rating as nobody is claiming we are improving as a society, go figure.

Bar Sinister

Executive Branch Member
Jan 17, 2010
Edmonton
I'll never tell..

Notice that the least corrupt countries are only the size of a medium province or smaller?

Not too surprising. In general the larger the government the more corruption. It is almost automatic for example that the USA will be more corrupt than Canada as it is much larger nation in terms of population with a larger government. Not only that, the US has 50 states governments compared to Canada's 10 provincial governments, which increases the possibility of corruption.

There are other variables, of course, such as the level of democracy (or lack of it) in a country; its level of education; and its traditions of democracy.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Scandinavians are scamming everyone with their goodie-two shoes charade. It's all a massive conspiracy.

I wouldn't worry. With the influx of Muslims coming moving into Denmark and Sweden, those two countries won't be topping lists of least corrupt countries and countries with the highest quality of life for much longer.

Not too surprising. In general the larger the government the more corruption. It is almost automatic for example that the USA will be more corrupt than Canada as it is much larger nation in terms of population with a larger government. Not only that, the US has 50 states governments compared to Canada's 10 provincial governments, which increases the possibility of corruption.

There are other variables, of course, such as the level of democracy (or lack of it) in a country; its level of education; and its traditions of democracy.

I don't believe that. Britain's government is larger than America's (650 MPs compared to 434 Representatives and a whopping 820 Lords compared to just 100 Senators) - Britain's parliament is the only bicameral parliament in the world whose upper house is larger than its lower house - yet Britain is the tenth-least corrupt country in the world and America the sixteenth-least corrupt.

Last edited:

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
I wouldn't worry. With the influx of Muslims coming moving into Denmark and Sweden, those two countries won't be topping lists of least corrupt countries and countries with the highest quality of life for much longer.

Likely still be light years ahead of Old Blighty! :)