Oregon standoff ends with gunfire and 1 dead.

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
Oregon standoff ends with gunfire and 1 dead.

The standoff at the Malheur National Wildlife Refuge ended Tuesday with gunfire, leaving one militant dead, one injured and six under arrest after law enforcement stopped them as they drove to a nearby community meeting.

The FBI did not release the name of the person killed, but a Nevada state legislator and the Oregonian identified the deceased as Robert “LaVoy” Finicum, 55, of Canes Bed, Arizona.

Ryan Bundy, 43, of Bunkerville, Nevada, suffered a minor gunshot wound during the highway stop at 4:25 p.m. about 15 miles north of Burns, the Oregonian reported.

In a statement, the FBI said that, “During the arrest, there were shots fired,” and that the Oregon State Police were also involved in the “enforcement action.”

Six men were arrested, including Ryan Bundy and his brother Ammon Bundy, 40, of Emmett, Idaho, who led the Jan. 2 takeover of the wildlife headquarters following a rally on behalf of two ranchers sentenced to five years’ prison for arson.

Also arrested were Ryan W. Payne, 32, of Anaconda, Mont., Brian Cavalier, 44, of Bunkerville, Nevada, and Shawna J. Cox, 59, of Kanab, Utah. A sixth man, Joseph Donald O’Shaughnessy, 45, of Cottonwood, Arizona, was arrested separately in Burns.

All six face federal felony charges of conspiracy to impede U.S. officers from discharging their official duties through the use of force, intimidation or threats.

“One individual who was a subject of a federal probable cause arrest is deceased,” said the FBI statement. “We will not be releasing any information about that person pending identification by the medical examiner’s office.”

Nevada state Assemblywoman Michele Fiore said in a Tuesday night Twitter post that the person killed was Mr. Finicum, a frequent spokesman for the group, which went by the name Citizens for Constitutional Freedom.

Mr. Finicum, who typically wore glasses and a cowboy hat, was interviewed Jan. 6 by MSNBC as he sat outside under a blue tarp with a rifle in his lap, earning the hashtag #Tarpman.

“My heart & [prayers] go out to LaVoy Finicum’s family he was just murdered with his hands up in Burns OR. Ryan Bundy has been shot in the arm,” said Ms. Fiore in a Tweet.

The standoff leaders were reportedly driving on U.S. 395 to a community meeting at the John Day Senior Center in Burns, where they had been scheduled to speak with locals.

The militants, who had held frequent press conferences at the refuge, had called for the release of the two ranchers and for the Obama administration to relinquish control of federal lands to localities.

source: Oregon: 1 dead, Bundy brothers arrested as standoff ends with gunfire - Washington Times

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
Well, that ended badly. I guess that you can't steal public lands after all, no matter how heavily armed you are.

personal touch

House Member
Sep 17, 2014
alberta/B.C.
Well, that ended badly. I guess that you can't steal public lands after all, no matter how heavily armed you are.
the question is were they armed?
i hope this is not wacko all over again,what a disaster and shameful event wacko was,the killing of women,children,etc and for what.
the teapartyers are just as extreme on their beliefs,as are albertans right now,possibly attention should be put on them.
i listened to a man on cbc tonight,does sound like management is taking the wrong direction on where this is going.

They should have shot them all.
the cops or what do you mean?

Bar Sinister

Executive Branch Member
Jan 17, 2010
Edmonton
What a surprising turn of events. Who would have guessed that a bunch of heavily armed idiots engaged in an illegal activity would come to a bad end?

personal touch

House Member
Sep 17, 2014
alberta/B.C.
I wonder about the design of this shooting,
how did the "town hall" meeting come about,I have learnt alot about how "town hall"meeting having significance in the bigger design of prejustices and intentions.
would it be possible the armed what ever they are refering themselves as,could have set the man up,to specifically kill him,that the intentions were from the beginning of the design to murder him,or what ever they want to call it.
how about stopping and agitating him with these intentions,is this possible?
information auditing these questions would be a cake walk,and in the end the discussion of legal murder should be open for conversation.What are legal killings,or possibly in this case "attack with intention"
is it possible individuals who swear to uphold the law,can use the law, to break the law and get away with murder.
I believe the intentions are way beyond what the public knows.
lets start an official "information auditing"conversation,taking the facts and building a perspective of the design,no input is wrong input,what is your theory,on this tragic event.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
They weren't heavily armed. And the occupation of Malheur isn't over.

You didn't read the article, did you?
Facts only get in his way. Shot in the face while kneeling and hands raised above his head. I'll bet the US is so happy they brought all those SS Stormtroopers from Germany after the war, think of all the 'red tape' they are saving these days.

I'm also pretty sure when you are 'holed up' it doesn't mean tareling many miles to attend a 'town meeting', . . just sayin . . .

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
Facts only get in his way. Shot in the face while kneeling and hands raised above his head. I'll bet the US is so happy they brought all those SS Stormtroopers from Germany after the war, think of all the 'red tape' they are saving these days.

Nurse!

Meds for this guy in the next bed!!

personal touch

House Member
Sep 17, 2014
alberta/B.C.

I'm also pretty sure when you are 'holed up' it doesn't mean tareling many miles to attend a 'town meeting', . . just sayin . . .
shot in the face,who?what?what type of derrangement is that,and what type of derangement is to come.
i think i should read more on this case.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
These clowns parade about flaunting the law and they get shot.
Normally I would say the police should be investigated but this
time what took them so long

Serryah

Executive Branch Member
Dec 3, 2008
New Brunswick
1. His hands were up (but in surrender or to help himself balance in the snow?) but THEN he reached for the 9mm in his pocket/holster. Twice.
2. He ran from a legal traffic stop, the cops have a right to shoot.
3. He was given AMPLE time to turn himself in at the first stop. Instead he basically said EffU to the cops and took off.
4. There were rifles fully loaded in the truck.
5. This jerk got what was coming. Remember, he's the "I have foster kids to give me income/be my slaves on my ranch and they won't take me alive" guy. Death by cop is all this was. Couldn't happen to a worse azzhole.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
1. His hands were up (but in surrender or to help himself balance in the snow?) but THEN he reached for the 9mm in his pocket/holster. Twice.
That's what did it.

2. He ran from a legal traffic stop, the cops have a right to shoot.
Incorrect. In the U.S., the police cannot use deadly force merely to prevent escape. Tennessee v. Garner.

3. He was given AMPLE time to turn himself in at the first stop. Instead he basically said EffU to the cops and took off.
4. There were rifles fully loaded in the truck.
Neither of which is determinative under Tennessee v. Garner.

5. This jerk got what was coming. Remember, he's the "I have foster kids to give me income/be my slaves on my ranch and they won't take me alive" guy. Death by cop is all this was. Couldn't happen to a worse azzhole.
The term is "suicide by cop."