Toronto man acquitted of criminal harassment for debating leftists on Twitter

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
because common sense.

After a legal battle that dragged on for three years , Gregory Alan Elliott has been found not guilty.
In 2012, Elliott was charged with criminal harassment after arguing with feminist activists on Twitter. He’s suffered through a tortuous court case that has cost him nearly one hundred thousand dollars.

Anyone following this case knows that Greg is only guilty of the crime of wrongthink. He was arrested for critically engaging with people who disagreed with him. It wasn’t any different from what people do on social media platforms every day.

Greg’s tweets were far milder than some of the vile garbage I’ve seen come through my notifications. He never threatened anyone, and he never gave anyone reason to fear for their safety.

All he did was argue with people that hated him so much they demanded he be shut down.

I don’t believe Stephanie Guthrie or her cronies felt victimized for a second. We’re talking about people who have posted images of themselves drinking from mugs with “male tears” written on them, after all.

They wanted Elliott to pay for having challenged them, nothing more.

The charges in Elliott’s protracted legal case have prohibited him from using the Internet, forced him to quit his job, and left him bankrupt.
The last three years of Greg’s life have been hell, and he won’t ever get them back.

Despite all this, I am joyful, Greg is joyful, and his sons are joyful. Free speech has won the day, and Greg won’t have to deal with the prospect of months of jail time or heavy fines.

People opposed to speech rights won’t get the satisfaction of seeing Greg behind bars.

Most importantly, legal precedent has been established to defend free expression.

Canada is infamous for its ineffectual provisions for freedom of speech. Establishing the legal default to favour allowing offensive speech is a boon for speech rights in Canada.

A new chapter of Greg’s life starts now. He’ll be able to return to some semblance of his prior life, free of the burden of ongoing criminal proceedings. He’ll be able to return to work, and continue making the artwork for which he is renowned.

more

NOT GUILTY: Gregory Alan Elliott verdict means "free speech has won the day" - The Rebel

Twitter Freedom - The Rebel

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
I saw the updates from CTV on my phone earlier today. Glad he was found not guilty.

I think the restrictions placed on a person prior to conviction were inappropriate and costly. The accusers should be held accountable as they were the a-s-s-wipes who no doubt asked for them. If people are truly innocent until proven guilty, they should be treated that way.

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
Dean Skoreyko ‏@bcbluecon

I'm pretty sure this doesn't meet CBC's Standards and Practices

Rick Matton ‏@RickAMatton

@bcbluecon I can reply for CBC Let me say immediately that I regret you found Mr. Bowman's words offensive

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
The man is a malignant troll. He was helped, though because his victims were nasty little things leading him on. He is still a troll, Leftie, Rightie ... A troll is a Troll.

Jinentonix

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 6, 2015
Olympus Mons
The man is a malignant troll. He was helped, though because his victims were nasty little things leading him on. He is still a troll, Leftie, Rightie ... A troll is a Troll.
Sounds to me like the trolls were the b*tches who had him criminally charged for nothing.

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
Sounds to me like the trolls were the b*tches who had him criminally charged for nothing.

... that should read ..ALSO the bitches. There are no good guys, here ... just mean spirited and obnoxious human beings lurking on the net.

Dixie Cup

Senate Member
Sep 16, 2006
Edmonton
As a taxpayer, while I'm happy (and encouraged) at the outcome, since no laws were broken, why and on what grounds was he charged to begin with. What a horrible waste of time and money. If he sues I just hope that the taxpayers don't end up paying again for the stupidity of the DA and police who charged him to begin with.

JMHO

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
As a taxpayer, while I'm happy (and encouraged) at the outcome, since no laws were broken, why and on what grounds was he charged to begin with. What a horrible waste of time and money. If he sues I just hope that the taxpayers don't end up paying again for the stupidity of the DA and police who charged him to begin with.

JMHO

I hope that a mean troll like that will someday get his come-upppance. He may be innocent of a crime but he is no hero.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
YAAAWWWNN! *rubs eyes* 'what time is it?'

His penalty should be to register here.

Sons of Liberty

Walks on Water
Aug 24, 2010
Evil Empire
DA's are generally stupid. We should get rid of them here in Canada.

Forget the DA's, they are doing their job. You should change this article in the constitution;

1. The Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms guarantees the rights and freedoms set out in it subject only to such reasonable limits prescribed by law as can be demonstrably justified in a free and democratic society.

You have to go to the heart of the problem. In my opinion, that's the problem