Protesters gather outside African trophy hunting show

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario

Protesters gather outside African trophy hunting show | Toronto Star

“It’s important that the venues are taking a stand,” said Latanville.

The venues aren't taking a stand, they're buckling to pressure.

“It goes to show that trophy-hunting should not be glamourized and is not wanted in Canada.”

Only be certain people. I would hazard a guess that most don't really care. While some do, that really want to try it out.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
“It goes to show that trophy-hunting should not be glamourized and is not wanted in Canada."

What the f-ck?

That jaded eh?

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007
The more controlled hunting that's allowed the more animals there will be.

skookumchuck

Council Member
Jan 19, 2012
Van Isle
There are a lot of humans that need to be culled to preserve our species intact. Particularly those who are proud to be blatantly guilty of anthropomorphism whilst pretending to worry about the planet.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Are they going to contribute 80lbs of ruminant protein?

This just came in my email

Minister Mauro @BillMauroMPP : No Hunting Traps on Trails!

Valerie Strain
Buckhorn, Canada

Sign Valerie's petition

Unfortunately this petition involves some sad and disturbing news. While out walking with my dogs before Christmas, our dog George's head was caught in a baited kill-trap (Conibear). He died a slow death while I struggled unsuccessfully to free him. The trap was located on Crown Land just a few feet from a side trail and within 20 ft of a popular snowmobile/ATV trail.
The Ministry of Natural Resources and Forestry (MNRF), through our local Conservation Officer, was informed of what happened and is investigating. However, they told us that there are no rules about how close to trails the trap can be set and no requirement to notify the public that they are there. There does not seem to be any way for the public to find out where traplines are; they could be anywhere on Crown Land, on your neighbour's property, even in Provincial Parks and you wouldn't know.
Ontario Tourism is currently running ads that show a family cross-country skiing while their dogs run off-leash beside them. Where is it safe to do that? We no longer feel secure anywhere except on our own property. Sadly, at least one other dog died this way in Ontario in December. The Belleville Intelligencer reported the death of a dog in a Conibear trap on the Heritage Trail, a popular all-season multi-use trail. The kill-trap was set within 30 feet of the trail.
My husband and I both grew up in rural areas. We had no idea the risk we were taking every time we took our dogs out on this trail. One of our responsibilities as pet owners is to keep them safe. We failed George in that regard. Please help us make sure this doesn't happen to another family pet, or worse, a child out on a walk with his parents.
To prevent more deaths on Ontario trails and improve the safety of everyone sharing our outdoor spaces, we urge the MNRF to:
1. launch a public awareness campaign about the danger to pets and people from active traps - including publishing maps online that show registered trapline areas, and
2. improve trapping practices and regulations – including setting a minimum distance from public trails, and marking trails that run close to traplines.
We hope we can turn this event into a catalyst for positive change.
Thank you.
twitter: @NoTrapsOnTrails facebook: /notrapsontrails

skookumchuck

Council Member
Jan 19, 2012
Van Isle
And of course it does not occur to "Valerie" that Conibear traps are expensive and often stolen and that someone is trying to make a small living doing a job she could not would not do. Sounds like typical social network crap to me.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister

Only be certain people. I would hazard a guess that most don't really care. While some do, that really want to try it out.

Reminds me of all the do-gooders that protest rodeos around these parts.... The fun part is looking closely at these clowns and counting the number of leather shoes, jackets and belts among the protesters.

I'm thinking that they all get together and treat themselves to a nice burger and beer after a hard days protesting on behalf of the steers

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Be he's mighty tasty.

In another place I haunt, we voted to put Bullwinkle J Moose of the $50 bill. Rocky won over our hearts and secured his place on the $5 bill.

Since we came to an almost unanimous decision that placing any importance on who's on our currency, was ridiculous.

skookumchuck

Council Member
Jan 19, 2012
Van Isle
The problem with Elk is that the hunting season opens after the rut starts and anyone who has tried to eat a skinny rutting Bull Elk is lying if they say it is extra good. If you can get a Cow tag your doing good.
Moose has been my staff of life for most of my life. I never liked Cariboo either.

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
That reminds me, someone gave me some moose steak (Actually filet mignon)
It's in the back of the freezer......Should go better than bacon with eggs tomorrow morning .....yum!

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
The problem with Elk is that the hunting season opens after the rut starts and anyone who has tried to eat a skinny rutting Bull Elk is lying if they say it is extra good. If you can get a Cow tag your doing good.
Moose has been my staff of life for most of my life. I never liked Cariboo either.
Primitive opens late Aug early Sept. In SK they are fat from barley and winter wheat. It's like sending them to a feedlot before butchering. Nice marbling without the after tastes of weeds and grass forage.