First Nations leader questions why she was treated like a thief in Winnipeg store

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
If a white guy like myself wearing a suit were loitering in the pseudoephedrine aisle...

Methamphetamine use is a growing problem across Canada and the United States. Law enforcement officials have raised concern about the illegal diversion of substances found in everyday items into underground methamphetamine production.
Meth Watch supporters encourage law enforcement efforts to stop the production and trafficking of methamphetamine. That's why we have introduced the Meth Watch Program to Canada to curtail the theft and suspicious sale of products containing pseudoephedrine and ephedrine, as well as other household items that can be used in the illegal manufacturing of methamphetamine. Industry retailers, law enforcement agencies, pharmacy organizations and government have come together to implement an effective national program to prevent diversion of legitimate products for illegal use.
A Manitoba chief is speaking out after she says she was racially profiled in a Winnipeg store.

Manitoba Keewatinowi Okimakanak (MKO) grand chief Sheila North Wilson said she's experienced racism while shopping before. But on a recent trip to a St. James pharmacy, North Wilson said she was treated like a potential thief.

"I heard a lady on the intercom say, 'Security aisle five, security aisle five,' so I looked up and sure enough it says 'aisle five' and I'm the only one standing there," North Wilson said, adding she then approached management.

"I asked her, 'Why are you targeting me? Because I'm dressed like this? Because I have this face? Why did you decide that I needed to be checked on — to see if I was stealing anything?"

North Wilson's trip to the pharmacy happened on Jan. 2. She said while she is still upset, she doesn't plan to disclose the store's location.

"I wanted to focus on the issue more than the stores, because if we target one store then it lets others off the hook," she said.

North Wilson said she thinks attitudes that lead to everyday-racism stem from deeply entrenched ignorance about indigenous people.

"People in Canadian society, in Winnipeg, in Manitoba grow up learning negative stereotypes about indigenous people and they don't bother to correct these stereotypes on their own as they become adults," she said.

More confused by reality found here:First Nations leader questions why she was treated like a thief in Winnipeg store - Manitoba - CBC News

Poor Princess, what is she doing about gangs, dope growing and meth operations on her Rez that put her in this position?

Retired_Can_Soldier

The End of the Dog is Coming!
Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
How were they doing their job if she wasn't stealing anything? I would be pissed off if somebody called security on me?

Last edited:

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
You have never been tailed by a floor walker before? I enjoy the hell out of picking them out. As for the intercom, they are automated "canned" messages when motion sensors trigger it off in high target areas of stores.

Motion sensors can't be set to detect race.

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
You have never been tailed by a floor walker before? I enjoy the hell out of picking them out. As for the intercom, they are automated "canned" messages when motion sensors trigger it off in high target areas of stores.

You seem to be as bad as me, I've been tailed before also when i forgot to grab a basket or a cart and have too much stuff to hold in my hands and put it in my coat pockets, but I have a good laugh when at the cash I dig everything out of my pockets to pay for it, then turn around and wink at the guy that was tailing me, because they can't do a thing until you walk out the door.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta

I don't know much about retail setups but, given your obvious lack of knowledge on other things you claimed to be knowledgeable about, I'm sure you can understand why I would ask for some evidence to back up your claims.

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
There's not enough trust, no respect for the customer, in the good old days staff would help you make a selection.

Even further back in the gooder older days...well before that you had to ask the clerk to let you look at something in a store...you couldn't just pick it up like now.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
Even further back in the gooder older days...well before that you had to ask the clerk to let you look at something in a store...you couldn't just pick it up like now.

I don't know, that was before my time but the level of attention given the customer and potential sales would have inclined the merchant toward sevice above all in the pursuit of profit disregarding entirely the number or arrangement of feet of the customer.