"Maybe unionism gives you cancer": Scottish nationalists troll David Bowie

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
David Bowie fans reacted with fury today after twisted Scottish nationalists celebrated the singer's death simply because he had asked Scotland to remain in the United Kingdom.

The singer, who passed away yesterday after a secret 18-month battle with cancer, used his acceptance speech at the 2014 Brit Awards to urge Scotland to vote against independence in the referendum.

He faced a toxic backlash from hardliners over his stance at the time, with one nationalist telling him to 'f*** off back to Mars' – a reference to his song Life On Mars.

But news of his death has done little to quell their anger, with many taking to social media to attack him once again, including a woman who even posted that 'maybe unionism gives you cancer'.

This, people, is the REAL face of Scottish nationalism, as we saw only too well in the run up to the independence referendum in September 2014.

'Good riddance... maybe unionism gives you cancer': Outrage as Scottish Nationalists troll David Bowie just hours after his death because he pleaded for Scotland to stay part of the UK

Star used Brit Awards speech to urge Scotland to stay in UK in referendum

Sick Scottish Nationalists have taken to social media to celebrate his death

One Yes supporter said: 'Bowie was a tax-dodging c***... good riddance'

Another said 'maybe unionism gives you cancer' after he died from disease

F
ans reacted with fury at the remarks, calling the trolls 'bigots and scum'
See more news on David Bowie at www.dailymail.co.uk/davidbowie

By Simon Tomlinson for MailOnline
11 January 2016
Daily Mail

David Bowie fans reacted with fury today after twisted Scottish nationalists celebrated the singer's death simply because he had asked Scotland to remain in the United Kingdom.

The singer, who passed away yesterday after a secret18-month battle with cancer, used his acceptance speech at the 2014 Brit Awards to urge Scotland to vote against independence in the referendum.

He faced a toxic backlash from hardliners over his stance at the time, with one nationalist telling him to 'f*** off back to Mars' – a reference to his song Life On Mars.

But news of his death has done little to quell their anger, with many taking to social media to attack him once again, including a woman who even posted that 'maybe unionism gives you cancer'.

Supermodel Kate Moss (wearing a Ziggy Stardust outfit) reads out an acceptance speech on behalf of David Bowie at the 2014 Brit Awards in which the singer pleaded with Scotland to vote against independence during the referendum. Twisted Scottish Nationalists have celebrated the singer's death because of his stance

Moss wore one of Bowie's Ziggy Stardust outfits to collect the prize on his behalf at the Brit Awards. In the speech, Bowie said: 'In Japanese myth, the rabbits from my old costume that Kate's wearing live on the moon'

Last picture: Bowie attended the premiere of the musical Lazarus, based on his songs, in New York on December 7

Other Yes supporters called Bowie a 'self-serving tax dodging' individual who 'poked his nose into others' affairs'.

Writing on his public Facebook page, Yes supporter John Harvey, from Dundee, said: 'Rip Bowie I telt (told) you no to get involved in politics ya no voting c*** womble.

'Gonna say something here. Bowie deed... life is for the living and your legacy as an individual is for those yet to be born.

'Bowie was a self serving tax dodging c*** who poked his nose into others affairs....good riddance.'

Nationalist Shelley Detlefsen even suggested that supporting the Union may be linked to cancer and said she was 'sickened' to see some fellow Yes supporters 'crying like babies' about Bowie's death.

She wrote on her public Facebook page: 'They say he got diagnosed 18 months ago. Maybe unionism gives you cancer?

'I was actually a big fan. He found Stevie Ray Vaughn. Labyrinth, etc, but I'm a bit sickened to see a bunch of "nationalists" crying like babies over a foreign unionist's death.'

Responding to Ms Detlefsen's cancer jibe, Mr Harvey wrote: 'Ooooof Shelley, you are so naughty hahahahahahahaha.'

Yes supporter John Harvey called Bowie a 'self-serving tax dodging c***' in a Facebook rant after his death

Scottish Nationalists have taken to social media to attack Bowie for his referendum stance again, including one woman who even posted that 'maybe unionism gives you cancer' after his death from the disease

Yes voter John Gallagher, whose profile picture bears the SNP logo, wrote on his public Facebook page: 'The luvvies are out in force! For Bowie I liked some of his stuff!

'But when the man from Brixton stuck his big nose into politics and said Scotland should stay with Westminster... FFS stick tae yer singin ya twat is what I said at the time.

'Saor Alba Freedom For Scotland. I certainly didn't see him contributing at the food banks!

'He should never had told Scots to vote for the Union with Westminster!

'He was a man from Brixton who contributed nothing to Scotland! We are on our knees with foodbanks and child poverty he was a millionare singer [sic].'

Other social media users reacted with fury at the comments by the Scottish Nationalists.

Sam Moreton tweeted: 'Bigots and Scum. But I expect no different.

'Always an icon and a legend. RIP.'

Another, named Angela, said: 'The ugly face of nationalism. #snp should be ashamed, this is their doing.'

Craig Thomas branded the trolls 'filth'.

Scottish First Minister Nicola Stugeon, who helped to spearhead the independence campaign, also paid her respects to the singer.

In a tribute on her Twitter account, she said: 'What dreadful news about David Bowie. A hero for so much more than just one day.'

Bowie had made his plea in a speech read out by supermodel Kate Moss who accepted his Brit Award prize for Best British Male on his behalf two years ago.

The catwalk star was on hand for the ceremony because Bowie, 67, chose to stay at home in New York rather than attend the event to pick up his best British male award - his first Brit for 18 years.

Moss wore one of Bowie's Ziggy Stardust outfits to collect the prize on his behalf at the Brit Awards.

Reading a statement, Moss said: 'Good evening ladies and gentleman, David has asked me to say this.

'In Japanese myth, the rabbits from my old costume that Kate's wearing live on the moon.

'Kate comes from Venus and I from Mars, so that's nice. I'm completely delighted to have a Brit for being the best male, but I am, aren't I Kate? I think it's a great way to end the day.

'Thank you very, very much and Scotland - stay with us'.

A woman leaves a bouquet at a mural of David Bowie in Brixton, south London, after his death from cancer

Bowie was among a number of celebrities to suffer online abuse during the Scottish referendum.

Sir Chris Hoy, the six-time Olympic gold medallist, was called a 'bigoted anti-Scot' and a 'traitor' after he mentioned that most Scottish athletes rely on facilities across the rest of the UK.

And Harry Potter author JK Rowling, who donated £1 million to the No campaign, received a torrent of vile abuse. Among other insults, she was branded a 'traitor', a 'quisling' and a 'unionist cow-bag'.

The star, whose new album came out just last week, passed away from the illness yesterday surrounded by his family, according to an announcement posted on his official website and Facebook page today.

A spokesman for the singer said this morning: 'David Bowie died peacefully surrounded by his family after a courageous 18-month battle with cancer.

'While many of you will share in this loss, we ask that you respect the family's privacy during their time of grief.'

A flood of celebrities and other public figures such as politicians and even the Archbishop of Canterbury have since paid tribute to the impact he had on the cultural landscape of his era.

His longtime producer Tony Visconti suggested that Bowie knew for a year that his cancer was incurable, and added that his final album Blackstar was 'a parting gift' to the world.

'SCOTLAND STAY WITH US': KATE MOSS DELIVERED BOWIE'S 2014 BRITS SPEECH IN ZIGGY OUTFIT

David Bowie had made his plea for Scotland to stay in the UK in a speech read out by supermodel Kate Moss who accepted his Brit Award prize on his behalf months befroe the referendum vote.

The catwalk star was on hand for the ceremony because the singer chose to stay at home in New York rather than attend the event to pick up his best British male award, his first Brit for 18 years.

Moss wore one of Bowie's Ziggy Stardust outfits to collect the prize on his behalf at the Brit Awards.

Reading a statement, Moss said: 'Good evening ladies and gentleman, David has asked me to say this.

'In Japanese myth the rabbits from my old costume that Kate's wearing live on the moon.

'Kate comes from Venus and I from Mars, so that's nice. I'm completely delighted to have a Brit for being the best male, but I am, aren't I Kate? I think it's a great way to end the day.

'Thank you very, very much and Scotland - stay with us'.