B.C. man pays Revenue Canada $10 after 19-year battle

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dahs0_AxEHw

Irvin Leroux’s two-decade long, multi-million dollar battle with the Canada Revenue Agency came to an end in B.C. Supreme Court today. Both sides have reached a deal, as the 72-year-old Leroux has agreed to pay 10 dollars towards the CRA’s legal fees.

“I can honestly say I’m pleased that it’s over, but I’m disappointed at the results,” said Leroux.
Leroux’s story goes back almost 20 years, when the Prince George businessman was audited by the CRA in 1996. The government concluded he owed a million dollars, but Leroux said he did nothing wrong, and that he wasn’t paying.
“They took out a writ to seize and sell all my assets,” he said when Global News first reported on Leroux years ago.

Irvin Leroux’s two-decade long, multi-million dollar battle with the Canada Revenue Agency came to an end in B.C. Supreme Court today. Both sides have reached a deal, as the 72-year-old Leroux has agreed to pay 10 dollars towards the CRA’s legal fees.
“I can honestly say I’m pleased that it’s over, but I’m disappointed at the results,” said Leroux.
Leroux’s story goes back almost 20 years, when the Prince George businessman was audited by the CRA in 1996. The government concluded he owed a million dollars, but Leroux said he did nothing wrong, and that he wasn’t paying.
“They took out a writ to seize and sell all my assets,” he said when Global News first reported on Leroux years ago.

More:
B.C. man pays Revenue Canada $10 after 19-year battle | Globalnews.ca

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
one reason why I can't stand this country.

Then fu ck off. I'm tired of listening to how much you hate Canada all the while su cking off the public t*t. You are no better than Kahdr's family.

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
Then fu ck off. I'm tired of listening to how much you hate Canada all the while su cking off the public t*t.

How I'm I sucking off the public tít you old fück... you're the one on CPP and Old pension.. I'm paying taxes to fund your crappy existence.. your living off the Government. Hurry up and die, you'll do Canada's a favour, they need your money to fund a Syrian.

I know I ill never collect from it.. because I plan on living out my retirement in a warmer climate with my savings.

You are no better than Kahdr's family.

Christ keep your alzheimer's in check, in another thread you defended the guy.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
How I'm I sucking off the public tít you old fück... you're the one on CPP and Old pension.. I'm paying taxes to fund your crappy existence.. your living off the Government. Hurry up and die, you'll do Canada's a favour, they need your money to fund a Syrian.

I know I ill never collect from it.. because I plan on living out my retirement in a warmer climate with my savings.

One, I'm not old enough to collect a pension, not by a long shot.

two, I see you're too stupid to realize how much of your existence in this country is subsidized by my taxes.

So, take your complaining, lazy, ignorant a$$ back to the country you love. You are not needed, nor are you wanted, here.

Christ keep your alzheimer's in check, in another thread you defended the guy.

I'd explain the difference between "defending" a child and not his family, but I know you are too stupid to grasp or understand the concept.

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
One, I'm not old enough to collect a pension, not by a long shot.

two, I see you're too stupid to realize how much of your existence in this country is subsidized by my taxes.

So, take your complaining, lazy, ignorant a$$ back to the country you love. You are not needed, nor are you wanted, here.

I'd explain the difference between "defending" a child and not his family, but I know you are too stupid to grasp or understand the concept.
Wow are you the king ?

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
Wow are you the king ?

I gather you have no problem with boomer coming up to Canada to take advantage of our social programs when he hasn't paid into them in years and all he does is complain about this country all the while drooling over the yanks.

If it's so bad here, then he can fu ck off. If it's so great there, then move his a$$ back there.

He's Trudeau's Bítch..

I voted for Kenney.

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
I gather you have no problem with boomer coming up to Canada

I was born in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada, I'm not some Syrian immigrant.. I will come and go as I please... when I please.

The difference is, I had the experience of living outside Canada... seeing what is being missed by Canadians.. you have no idea how sheltered this country's citizens are. "Canuckistan!!"

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
I was born in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada, I'm not some Syrian immigrant.. I will come and go as I please... when I please.

and all we here about is your time is texa$$ and how much you hate Canada. Like I said, no different than Khadr's family. All his mother did was whine about this country.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
Why are you being critical of someone who paid into a fund to collect
CPP and Pension they are not free these benefits were paid for by the
person who contributed to the country over time.
I had a run in twenty years ago too and won but I don't hate anyone.
People have the idea that because they pay taxes they have special
privileges and guess what they don't.
I currently farm I am also a pensioner so what I pay taxes like everyone
else.
The government and CRA are not enemies they have a job to to and a
roll to fill. What happened here is both sides dug in for a long fight and
once a P*ssing contest starts it ends up costing us money in the long run
in the courts. In the end the CRA won if you call it that. The man didn't
owe a million he owed something and the government didn't come to an
agreement like they should have. The guy paid ten dollars and that is an
admission he was wrong on the books.
The old guy should have been more of an adult he cost the country a lot
of money that could have been spent elsewhere had he negotiated.
When he cost the government he cost us we are really the government
and the tax payer

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
A few years ago, I get a letter from C R A,that they wanted my medical receipts for the last year... they seemed to be questioning my medical expenses for the year...I e-file my taxes so I don't have to send receipts but keep all paperwork for ten years.

I realized the reason for that letter was my expenses were about four thousand more than in previous year,so I promptly mailed all receipts to them with a note explaining the reason for the disparity with previous years was that my wife and I both had new dentures done...

A couple of weeks later I got my receipts back with a letter that my expenses were accepted.

Good book keeping is just a matter ofkeeping your receipts organized......__________________________

Johnnny

Frontiersman
Jun 8, 2007
Third rock from the Sun
A few years ago, I get a letter from C R A,that they wanted my medical receipts for the last year... they seemed to be questioning my medical expenses for the year...I e-file my taxes so I don't have to send receipts but keep all paperwork for ten years.

I realized the reason for that letter was my expenses were about four thousand more than in previous year,so I promptly mailed all receipts to them with a note explaining the reason for the disparity with previous years was that my wife and I both had new dentures done...

A couple of weeks later I got my receipts back with a letter that my expenses were accepted.

Good book keeping is just a matter ofkeeping your receipts organized......__________________________

That's old school. My grandma keeps all here receipts ALL OF THEM, shes actually got boxes all organized amazingly. Back in the day CRA came at here too. She sat them in the kitchen and made them coffee, while my grandpa brought them like 5 boxes of receipts. Apparently the guy looked at the boxes, said "holy ****", drank his coffee and bid my grand parents a good day.

3 years ago i misfiled an EI claim, i got the difference i owed in the mail from the government and payed it, end of story?. 2 months later CRA sent me a letter saying i was going to be "yada yada yada and that i had to pay the amount i already payed". Thank god i saved the receipt, just a simple debit receipt.

I keep all my receipts for medical bills, car insurance, rent, hydro, internet bill, school tuiton (im back, my last year though and 4th technical diploma), and government expenses. My Grandma taught me too

The difference is, I had the experience of living outside Canada... seeing what is being missed by Canadians.. you have no idea how sheltered this country's citizens are. "Canuckistan!!"

im in the same boat as you in regards to world travel. I agree we have it great here and most dont realize it. Its no ones fault that most Canadians are sheltered. The best thing i can say to you is live for the moment and enjoy yourself while you can and quit bitching about our country just take it in and enjoy yourself.

Last edited:

Dixie Cup

Senate Member
Sep 16, 2006
Edmonton
Why are you being critical of someone who paid into a fund to collect
CPP and Pension they are not free these benefits were paid for by the
person who contributed to the country over time.
I had a run in twenty years ago too and won but I don't hate anyone.
People have the idea that because they pay taxes they have special
privileges and guess what they don't.
I currently farm I am also a pensioner so what I pay taxes like everyone
else.
The government and CRA are not enemies they have a job to to and a
roll to fill. What happened here is both sides dug in for a long fight and
once a P*ssing contest starts it ends up costing us money in the long run
in the courts. In the end the CRA won if you call it that. The man didn't
owe a million he owed something and the government didn't come to an
agreement like they should have. The guy paid ten dollars and that is an
admission he was wrong on the books.
The old guy should have been more of an adult he cost the country a lot
of money that could have been spent elsewhere had he negotiated.
When he cost the government he cost us we are really the government
and the tax payer

But CRA will NEVER admit they're wrong. As stated in the video, documents were destroyed so he was left holding the bag. His main problem was he allowed his documents to be removed from his home, but then again, he likely didn't have a choice. I would have gone with them to ensure they were copied and that I got the originals back.

The problem is that CRA has extreme powers that no other agency has. While they need them at times for the tax evaders, the average Canadian is pretty honest when filing their taxes so they needn't use those powers if an honest mistake is made. In this guys case, he didn't make the mistake, CRA did and, even though it was only $10 he shouldn't have been made to pay because none of it was his fault. I hope he's successful in his law suit because someone was too "enthusiastic" and screwed up and needs to pay. Hopefully the original auditor was fired because, as you have stated, this whole thing cost a lot of money and it shouldn't have cost a dime!!

I deal with CRA on a daily basis and some of the agents I've dealt with are definitely on a power trip. Fortunately, I am in a position that I can "call" them on it.

JMHO
[/QUOTE]

Absolutely! Keeping good records is key. Hubby & I have records going back years. The problem with this gentleman was that CRA took his "original" records and when they were supposedly "destroyed" he couldn't prove a damn thing. And so all I'm saying is while it wasn't his fault, he should never have let those records out of his sight. Should be a lesson learned for everyone!

JMHO

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
The thing that amazes me is how social conservatives want to give these people the ability to execute citizens. I guess it makes sense in somebody's fu cked up mind

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
Absolutely! Keeping good records is key. Hubby & I have records going back years. The problem with this gentleman was that CRA took his "original" records and when they were supposedly "destroyed" he couldn't prove a damn thing. And so all I'm saying is while it wasn't his fault, he should never have let those records out of his sight. Should be a lesson learned for everyone!

JMHO
And any time they ask to send them your receipts, send it by registered mail ......and on every one that I sent them, I wrote "copied to file" and kept a photocopy....

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
It goes without saying that nobody should face continuous persecution by the Crown. Some sort of ombudsman/auditor is needed as part of our taxation system as CRA cannot be trusted to be honest and fair and citizens have no power at all.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
CRA has...dig this....integrity. They use that word in their training manuals as a response to why they are to be trusted.