Settlement for residential school survivors sought from federal government

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Are they saying people who enjoyed the schools and made lives for themselves after graduating won't get paid too?

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
Since those schools ran until quite recently there should be some hard-copy records around and what was recorded might point to what the important issues were when not dealing with the children as far as 'individual help'. If they were exposed to certain conditions as a group then individual incidents do not matter as much as the effects as that alone will show the treatment was to see just what would happen to some human lab rats.
Luckily the prison story involving Baffin Island has been offering living conditions that were substandard for 20 years or more so the lab rats may have continued the experiments, just on a more secluded group that would never be mixing with the 'general public'. If nothing else those records and conditions should be looked at to see how many things are the same rather than concentrating on things that might appear to be totally different after a closer examination takes place.
It wouldn't take much to see who got the medical records of both inmates and staff. Experimentation without legal consent is torture and that pays a lot more than 'abuse in class'. (16 hrs/day with 8 hrs taken off for the time spent in the school atmosphere)

It wouldn't surprise me to see a few wounded pets around said schools.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
Thank you for the offer but no thanks. Now could you please stick to the topic of the OP for once in your miserable life. Clear enough??
Are they saying people who enjoyed the schools and made lives for themselves after graduating won't get paid too?
If they win any money what they got by any means prior would be subtracted as that is showing not all income was affected. It might only amount to 10% of the settlement for each person.

grumpydigger

Electoral Member
Mar 4, 2009
Kelowna BC
Even if they did get money, it would not make no difference.

2 to 5 years later another group would come forward and claim more wrongdoing and demand more money.
Only in Canada can someone want all people to be equal.
And be called racist.

Retired_Can_Soldier

The End of the Dog is Coming!
Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
Prime Minister Trudeau was asked why federal lawyers are still fighting the case in court following the release of the Truth and Reconciliation Commission's final report.

"We know that it does no one any good for issues like this to have to be settled in court," said Trudeau.
"We need to move forward responsibly but as we make that decision, in a responsible way, which we will certainly ask our justice minister to do. We'll have more to say on that case and others."

We'll be waiting.

davesmom

Council Member
Oct 11, 2015
Southern Ontario
What's this?
Paying compensation will not undo wrongs. An apology has been given, not that an apology will undo wrongs either, but it was an olive branch, a nice touch.
Paying out money is not fair. The taxpayers did not have any hand in what happened in those residential schools and didn't even know about it. If anyone has to pay, let it be the organizations who ran the schools.
Jeez, Trudeau! Stop throwing OUR money away unnecessarily! Just because you can!

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
I got the strap in school for reasons that by today's standards would never fly let alone the violence but I should be thanking and paying them.

Getting the strap gave me a reputation as a badass and the eye of all the girls.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
I got the strap in school for reasons that by today's standards would never fly let alone the violence but I should be thanking and paying them.

Getting the strap gave me a reputation as a badass and the eye of all the girls.

Funny the things the mind blocks out - I'd forgotten all about the strap until you wrote about it. It was standard punishment for a multitude of minor 'sins' when I was in grade school. No one questioned it's use at the time - not even parents.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
What's this?
Paying compensation will not undo wrongs. An apology has been given, not that an apology will undo wrongs either, but it was an olive branch, a nice touch.
Paying out money is not fair. The taxpayers did not have any hand in what happened in those residential schools and didn't even know about it. If anyone has to pay, let it be the organizations who ran the schools.
Jeez, Trudeau! Stop throwing OUR money away unnecessarily! Just because you can!

Do you KNOW how the residential schools came about? Do you KNOW what their purpose was? Do you KNOW who ran them and who funded them? Do you KNOW anything more than the odd snippet you have picked up here and there?

Please tell me this is an anecdotal, off the cuff, story that you know has nothing to do with the topic at hand and that you are not comparing the 2.

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
You mean, ANOTHER settlement for residential school survivors? The Churches, (Presbyterian and Anglican anyway,) have paid out millions. Any Federal settlemnwent will be gone in a flash, the damage will not be fixed one iota and there will be an outcry for another settlement. This is a problem that throwing cash at it can't fix.

Last edited:

coldstream

on dbl secret probation
Oct 19, 2005
Chillliwack, BC
Most residents of Residential Schools were placed for two semesters, spring and fall, with a week home during and long breaks in between.

Probably amounted to 6 months or so of organized education, good diet, community.. and likely some evangelization as well. The rest of time they spent at home. Most teachers and administrators were dedicated, caring and competent at the tasks. The kids often found refuge from households where alcoholism and brutality predominated.. and their lives consisted of nomadic trapping and illiteracy and domestic violence.

It has now become the 'accepted truth' that these insitutions were filled with sexual predators, systemic abuse, cultural denigration... especially when it became obvious that some money could be got by validating this fable. The cardinal crime here, of course, was that of evangelization and conversion... as the concept of the 'noble savage' now holds primacy in our culture.. over degenerate white Christian civilization.. fostering 'white man's guilt'.

And no one accepts that guilt more personally than our incompetent little twit of a Prime Minister, Justin.