Albertan ticketed for texting in Tim Hortons drive-thru

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com

An Alberta man who was issued a nearly $300 ticket for using his mobile phone while waiting in line at a Tim Hortons’ drive-thru says the police officer's actions were “heavy-handed.”

A.J. Daoust says, after he replied to a text message while waiting for his coffee at a Beaumont, Alta., Tim Hortons last week, a police officer knocked on his window, asked him to pull over, and gave him a $287 ticket for distracted driving.

"I said, 'In a drive-thru? Really?'" Daoust told CTV Edmonton. "He was definitely within his rights…but to me this is ridiculous. It's just kind of heavy-handed."

The Alberta Highway Traffic Act restricts drivers from using a hand-held cell phone, texting or emailing while behind the wheel. The legislation applies to drivers on publicly and privately-owned property that drivers are permitted to use for the passage or parking of vehicles.

Jeff Kasbrick, vice president of government and stakeholder relations at Alberta Motor Association, said it's up the discretion of the police officer when to issue a ticket.

"There's the classic, that we see all the time, which is at a red light people will sometimes pull out their cell phones," Kasbrick said. "That's considered a distraction."

While Daoust acknowledges what he did, he says he may try to have the ticket fine reduced in court.

"It's stupid," he said. "It didn't have to happen, but I guess that's how it goes."

source: 'Kind of heavy handed': Alberta man ticketed for texting in Timmies drive-thru | CTV News

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
...has it been posted on CanadianContent.net?? No.

You think you're smart.. oh look at the date, it's a week old.. let's trash the story and get B00Mer.. :roll:

Cannuck, what didn't you post the story a week ago? Oh yeah, you to busy being a troll.

How about we just trash boomer because he got the story wrong. Look at the link I provided.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
Take it up with CTV.. did you read the link I posted??

Your like an old lady with no life, living off disability projecting your misery all over the Internet. Oh, wait, are you an old lady?

I read the link you posted a week ago. "I" keep up with current events.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
No, you're just a nit picking old lady on disability, living on the Internet, making everyone else life as miserable as yours.

If that what you need to believe to make yourself feel good about your miserable, lonely, useless life....... go for it.

Ludlow

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 7, 2014
wherever i sit down my ars
Take it up with CTV.. did you read the link I posted??

Your like an old lady with no life, living off disability projecting your misery all over the Internet. Oh, wait, are you an old lady?
" you're " ~ from the spelling demon.

An Alberta man who was issued a nearly $300 ticket for using his mobile phone while waiting in line at a Tim Hortons’ drive-thru says the police officer's actions were “heavy-handed.”

A.J. Daoust says, after he replied to a text message while waiting for his coffee at a Beaumont, Alta., Tim Hortons last week, a police officer knocked on his window, asked him to pull over, and gave him a $287 ticket for distracted driving.

"I said, 'In a drive-thru? Really?'" Daoust told CTV Edmonton. "He was definitely within his rights…but to me this is ridiculous. It's just kind of heavy-handed."

The Alberta Highway Traffic Act restricts drivers from using a hand-held cell phone, texting or emailing while behind the wheel. The legislation applies to drivers on publicly and privately-owned property that drivers are permitted to use for the passage or parking of vehicles.

Jeff Kasbrick, vice president of government and stakeholder relations at Alberta Motor Association, said it's up the discretion of the police officer when to issue a ticket.

"There's the classic, that we see all the time, which is at a red light people will sometimes pull out their cell phones," Kasbrick said. "That's considered a distraction."

While Daoust acknowledges what he did, he says he may try to have the ticket fine reduced in court.

"It's stupid," he said. "It didn't have to happen, but I guess that's how it goes."

source: 'Kind of heavy handed': Alberta man ticketed for texting in Timmies drive-thru | CTV News
You still have blockbuster out there. They went under like a thud here.

relic

Council Member
Nov 29, 2009
Nova Scotia
A friend of mine went to a party, got loaded but did the responsible thing and got a sober driver to get him home. He fell asleep {?} in the BACK SEAT, and when they got home they left him sleeping BUT als left the keys in the car. Law boys came along and tagged him for impared, 1000$ fine and a year suspension, plus the other BS like taking a defensive driving course and the insurance increase. No good deed goes unpunished I guess. So remember kids, if you'er not doing anything wrong, you have nothing to worry about.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
You would think that with all the bad press cops have been getting lately, they would be going out of their way not to look like *******s. Obviously the hiring standards have not improved

Jinentonix

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 6, 2015
Olympus Mons
You would think that with all the bad press cops have been getting lately, they would be going out of their way not to look like *******s. Obviously the hiring standards have not improved
Yeah, it's not like it's the driver's fault for not knowing or understanding the law and then acting like a complete jackass when he got pinched.

At first I thought, hmmm the cop is probably just being a goof and was simply claiming he saw the guy texting before pulling into the Timmies in order to justify the ticket.

But then Mr. I'm Normally An Introvert admitted he went out of his way to make a scene which is something introverts tend to avoid, like a Dipper avoids common sense.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
Yeah, it's not like it's the driver's fault for not knowing or understanding the law and then acting like a complete jackass when he got pinched.

At first I thought, hmmm the cop is probably just being a goof and was simply claiming he saw the guy texting before pulling into the Timmies in order to justify the ticket.

But then Mr. I'm Normally An Introvert admitted he went out of his way to make a scene which is something introverts tend to avoid, like a Dipper avoids common sense.

As with most people, you are confused between the letter of the law and the spirit of the law. You can take solace in the fact that the police officer probably doesn't know either.