Bill Bennett, former B.C. premier, dead at 83

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
Bill Bennett, former B.C. premier, dead at 83

Former B.C. premier Bill Bennett died Thursday night in Kelowna, B.C., at age 83, his brother Russell has told CBC News.

Bennett had been suffering from Alzheimer's disease for several years.

Bennett succeeded his father, former premier W.A.C. Bennett as leader of the B.C. Social Credit Party in 1973 and was elected premier in 1975, defeating then New Democratic leader Dave Barrett.

His victory — and two re-elections — returned the conservative Social Credit Party to an era of political domination in the province that would last until the NDP was returned to power in 1991.

"Premier Bennett did more than anyone to build and modernize our province," said B.C. Premier Christy Clark on Twitter. "He will be remembered as one of our greatest leaders."

His family spoke publicly about Bennett's battle with Alzheimer's in 2014, when a longtime friend pledged $9.1 million for research on the disease in the former premier's name.

'Ushered in modern era'

Bennett was honoured as a visionary and a builder in 2007 when he received the Order of British Columbia.

He was noted as the leader who brought Expo 86, the SkyTrain, the Vancouver Trade and Convention Centre and the Coquihalla Highway to B.C.

At the time, former premier Gordon Campbell praised Bennett as the man who "ushered us into the modern era."

When elected, Bennett had vowed to "get B.C.'s economy moving again," but he also zeroed in on the pocketbooks of virtually every British Columbian with measures such as a 40 per cent increase in provincial sales tax, a 140 per cent increase in premiums under the government's Autoplan insurance program and a 100 per cent increase in B.C. ferry fares.

In the early 1980s, Bennett gained a reputation as being hard-nosed after cutting thousands of jobs from B.C.'s public service despite massive protests from labour.

'He commanded tremendous loyalty'

Bennett's former cabinet colleagues remember him as a tough political fighter — but also funnier than the public may have known.

"A lot of people don't know this about him, because he had that dour look about him … but he was a very, very witty man," said Rafe Mair, who held the health and education portfolios in Bennett's cabinet, before becoming a well-known radio personality.

"We all would have crawled a mile on our hands and knees over broken glass for the guy. He commanded tremendous loyalty."

Former premier Bill Vander Zalm, who also served in Bennett's cabinet and succeeded him as premier, remembers Bennett as an understanding and sympathetic leader.

"He was a very, very hard worker. Totally committed to the province and its well-being and its progress. And he did a super good job."

Retired undefeated

Bennett retired undefeated from politics in 1986, a year that saw British Columbia host the World Exposition, a key turning point for the province's international reputation.

But Bennett's post-political career was by no means uncontroversial. In 1996, the B.C. Securities Commission found Bennett and his brother Russell, known as R.J., guilty of insider trading in relation to a U.S. lumber company's unsuccessful attempt to take over Doman Industries.

The commission found that the Bennetts sold shares of the company in 1988 using information provided by Doman Industries president Herb Doman. In 1999, the securities commission ordered the Bennett brothers and Doman to pay the commission $1 million to cover the costs of the case.

Bennett is survived by his wife of 60 years, Audrey, his brother Russell, four sons, eight grandchildren and one great-grandchild.

source: Bill Bennett, former B.C. premier, dead at 83 - British Columbia - CBC News

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
It was an era of troubled times and history once it filters all the pros and cons
will be kind to the ex Premier. Bill was not always the nicest guy but he did
make some tough decisions like him or not one had to have a good measure
of respect for him. May he now RIP

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
It was an era of troubled times and history once it filters all the pros and cons
will be kind to the ex Premier. Bill was not always the nicest guy but he did
make some tough decisions like him or not one had to have a good measure
of respect for him. May he now RIP

I don't think he was ever regarded as a "people's person" & not too accessible, but still fairly fiscally responsible. I think he quit suddenly because he could see cost overruns on the Coquihalla & wanted to be gone by the time they came to light. As a person who was directly involved with much of the Coquihalla, I think the biggest mistake of his term in office was the decision in May of '84 to have the construction of phase 1 completed in two years for $250 million. I think it turned out being closer to $600 million. The original paving job was a complete disaster. They were paving in 20 below zero.

bill barilko

Senate Member
Mar 4, 2009
Vancouver-by-the-Sea
I'm familiar with the rumour but certainly not to the point, I'd want to perpetuate it!
It's not a rumour there was even a photo in the Vancouver Sun showing him dressed in a cheap grey suit tilted over about to fall with a stupid grin on his face obviously drunk as a lord-the Queen as we say was Not Amused.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
It's not a rumour there was even a photo in the Vancouver Sun showing him dressed in a cheap grey suit tilted over about to fall with a stupid grin on his face obviously drunk as a lord-the Queen as we say was Not Amused.

I don't doubt you Bill, just erring on the side of caution. (although I guess being a public figure there's not too much risk)

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.

Should a person be characterized by a "snap shot" of their worst possible moment? Walter Gray (ex mayor of Kelowna) spoke at length this morning about Bill Bennett, who he had many dealings with over a good number of years and spoke very highly about many aspects of Bill. (I know many will remember Gordon Campbell for a drunk driving episode in Hawaii while he was on holidays) I guess Mark Antony said it well in "Julius Caesar".