Muslims must denounce terror like the West does

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com

The terrorist attacks in Paris have sent shockwaves of fear across the world, but the Muslim community fears something different: a backlash.

An arsonist attacked the Masjid Al-Salaam mosque in Peterborough in an apparent hate crime.

A Muslim woman was attacked in Toronto after picking up her children from school.

The assailants hurled racist remarks at her, calling her a terrorist.

A man on Youtube threatening to kill Arabs has been arrested in Quebec.

These are barbarous incidents that no society should tolerate.

However, they are rare and predictable.

Some guilt by association within irrational and bigoted minds is no surprise and authorities have taken appropriate measures to ensure the safety of Muslims.

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau was quick to condemn the arson attack in a show of solidarity with mosque officials.

Toronto Mayor John Tory and local councillor Jon Burnside met with children and parents outside the school where the Muslim mother was attacked in a show of support.

The response of the neighbors of the Peterborough mosque went even further.

Local residents rushed to rally behind the mosque community.

They have already helped to raise funds to repair the massive damage.

Now compare this to the Islamic world’s response to the slaughter in Paris.

Some progressive Muslim groups have denounced the attack forcefully, but in general the condemnations of ISIS have been feeble, compared to the repugnance or rage felt in the West.

Most Muslim groups are more concerned about what they call Islamophobia.

I too have been accused by some Canadian Muslims of stoking Islamophobia.

They tell me I constantly fault them for the woes that plague the Islamic world.

In fact, I am describing the situation as I see it.

There would be far less Islamophobia if Muslims en masse robustly condemned the terrorist threat that a plethora of Islamist murderers pose to the world.

I see instead, justifications on social media, and misplaced outrage in comments like “white lives matter more”, because the West raises no hue and cry when innocents die in terrorist attacks in Muslim countries.

Yet it is often Muslims who perceive people outside their group as “others”, less deserving of sympathy.

To be clear, many individual Muslims have demonstrated genuine solidarity towards the victims of the Paris attacks.

But many Muslim organizations appear more concerned about combatting “Islamophobia” than condemning terrorism.

The first thing these organizations should do is organize rallies against Islamist terrorism, as they do when they protest insults to Islam and the prophet.

They must denounce the jihadist ideologies that lead to terrorism.

Let them show the world they care not just about Muslims, but about all of humanity.

Let them understand why Islamophobia takes root.

As it stands, Islamist terror is followed by rationalization or limp denunciation.

Muslim Canadian Congress President Munir Pervaiz aptly sums it up when he says, “It is time we recognized our common humanity by denouncing Islamist terror everywhere, and also understood that terrorism hurts Muslims more than anyone else.”

Finally, a correction to my column of last week. I said Minister of Democratic Institutions Maryam Monsef had been assigned the special task of assessing the eligibility of Syrian refugees to Canada. She is in fact one member of a nine-person cabinet committee chaired by Health Minister Jane Philpott which is addressing refugee intake issues. I apologize for the error.

source:: Muslims must denounce terror like the West does | HASSAN | Columnists | Opinion

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
Do you mean all 1.6 billion (minus 8%) have to apologize......?

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
The west denounces terrorism because it's good to constantly reenforce the big lie. Terrorism is the western form of government. Ask the third world?

Boomer is caught in it.

That cycle is not stupid it works very well, it's the ruling economic model of the world. Competition is good for business war is the ultimate competition.

personal touch

House Member
Sep 17, 2014
alberta/B.C.

The terrorist attacks in Paris have sent shockwaves of fear across the world, but the Muslim community fears something different: a backlash.

An arsonist attacked the Masjid Al-Salaam mosque in Peterborough in an apparent hate crime.

A Muslim woman was attacked in Toronto after picking up her children from school.

The assailants hurled racist remarks at her, calling her a terrorist.

A man on Youtube threatening to kill Arabs has been arrested in Quebec.

These are barbarous incidents that no society should tolerate.

However, they are rare and predictable.

Some guilt by association within irrational and bigoted minds is no surprise and authorities have taken appropriate measures to ensure the safety of Muslims.

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau was quick to condemn the arson attack in a show of solidarity with mosque officials.

Toronto Mayor John Tory and local councillor Jon Burnside met with children and parents outside the school where the Muslim mother was attacked in a show of support.

The response of the neighbors of the Peterborough mosque went even further.

Local residents rushed to rally behind the mosque community.

They have already helped to raise funds to repair the massive damage.

Now compare this to the Islamic world’s response to the slaughter in Paris.

Some progressive Muslim groups have denounced the attack forcefully, but in general the condemnations of ISIS have been feeble, compared to the repugnance or rage felt in the West.

Most Muslim groups are more concerned about what they call Islamophobia.

I too have been accused by some Canadian Muslims of stoking Islamophobia.

They tell me I constantly fault them for the woes that plague the Islamic world.

In fact, I am describing the situation as I see it.

There would be far less Islamophobia if Muslims en masse robustly condemned the terrorist threat that a plethora of Islamist murderers pose to the world.

I see instead, justifications on social media, and misplaced outrage in comments like “white lives matter more”, because the West raises no hue and cry when innocents die in terrorist attacks in Muslim countries.

Yet it is often Muslims who perceive people outside their group as “others”, less deserving of sympathy.

To be clear, many individual Muslims have demonstrated genuine solidarity towards the victims of the Paris attacks.

But many Muslim organizations appear more concerned about combatting “Islamophobia” than condemning terrorism.

The first thing these organizations should do is organize rallies against Islamist terrorism, as they do when they protest insults to Islam and the prophet.

They must denounce the jihadist ideologies that lead to terrorism.

Let them show the world they care not just about Muslims, but about all of humanity.

Let them understand why Islamophobia takes root.

As it stands, Islamist terror is followed by rationalization or limp denunciation.

Muslim Canadian Congress President Munir Pervaiz aptly sums it up when he says, “It is time we recognized our common humanity by denouncing Islamist terror everywhere, and also understood that terrorism hurts Muslims more than anyone else.”

Finally, a correction to my column of last week. I said Minister of Democratic Institutions Maryam Monsef had been assigned the special task of assessing the eligibility of Syrian refugees to Canada. She is in fact one member of a nine-person cabinet committee chaired by Health Minister Jane Philpott which is addressing refugee intake issues. I apologize for the error.

source:: Muslims must denounce terror like the West does | HASSAN | Columnists | Opinion
and Joe Oliver must give us his reasoning why the numbers do not add up.

Sparrow

Council Member
Nov 12, 2006
Quebec
Hundreds of Muslims rallied in Rome and Milan on Saturday to show solidarity with the victims of jihadist attacks, condemning violence in the name of religion and chanting "we are not the enemy".
"The message is clear, terrorism cannot continue to attack everywhere in the name of Muslims. We want the whole world to listen," Abdellah Redouane, head of the Islamic Cultural Centre in Rome, said at the demonstration in the capital.
"The Koran is against violence", "Islam is peace" and "Solidarity with Paris victims" read banners held up by members of the Muslim community, who gathered in the rain in a square in central Rome under a heavy police guard. The rally, under the slogan "Not in my name", began with a minute's silence for the victims of the attacks on Parisian nightspots last week which left 130 people dead.
Muslims hold peace rallies in Italy to show solidarity with Paris victims | Latest News & Updates at Daily News & Analysis

We need to see more of this.

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
Hundreds of Muslims rallied in Rome and Milan on Saturday to show solidarity with the victims of jihadist attacks, condemning violence in the name of religion and chanting "we are not the enemy"....

......We need to see more of this.

Yes, I agree. Hundreds are good. Hundreds of Thousands would be better!!!

Hundreds of Thousands protesting these violent attacks would go a long way
to reducing the concerns in the Muslim communities regarding perception
of Muslims by non-Muslims.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
Hundreds of Muslims rallied in Rome and Milan on Saturday to show solidarity with the victims of jihadist attacks, condemning violence in the name of religion and chanting "we are not the enemy".
"The message is clear, terrorism cannot continue to attack everywhere in the name of Muslims. We want the whole world to listen," Abdellah Redouane, head of the Islamic Cultural Centre in Rome, said at the demonstration in the capital.
"The Koran is against violence", "Islam is peace" and "Solidarity with Paris victims" read banners held up by members of the Muslim community, who gathered in the rain in a square in central Rome under a heavy police guard. The rally, under the slogan "Not in my name", began with a minute's silence for the victims of the attacks on Parisian nightspots last week which left 130 people dead.
Muslims hold peace rallies in Italy to show solidarity with Paris victims | Latest News & Updates at Daily News & Analysis

really, more, how much more? How many do you need to see where you would say "ok, we've seen enough"?

I don't see "Christians" holding rally's and condemning the murder of homosexuals in Africa and South America. I don't see any body condemning India for their anti homosexual laws.

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
MSNBC's Chuck Todd did something pretty unusual for a cable news host. He invited on an actual Muslim American person, Dalia Mogahed, who also happens to be an expert on Muslim attitudes in the US and globally, to politely ask her about all this.

Todd was asking her about American leaders who demand that more Muslim leaders come out to condemn ISIS. Mogahed, rather than pointing out that they already are condemning ISIS, made an important point: this is the wrong question entirely, and we need to stop demanding that Muslims condemn terrorism.

I think we should take a step back and ask a different question, which is: 'Is it justified to demand that Muslims condemn terrorism?' Now that might sound a little radical. The reason I say that is this.

Condoning the killing of civilians is, to me, about the most monstrous thing you can to do. And to be suspected of doing something so monstrous, simply because of your faith, seems very unfair. Now when you look at the majority of terrorist attacks in the United States, according to the FBI, the majority of domestic terror attacks are actually committed by white, male Christians.

Now that's just the facts. When those things occur, we don't suspect other people who share their faith and ethnicity of condoning them. We assume that these things outrage them just as much as they do anyone else. And we have to afford this same assumption of innocence to Muslims.

She's absolutely right.

This ritual, in which Muslim leaders and regular Muslims alike are expected to repeatedly denounce terrorism, is bigoted. (Will McCants, a scholar of jihadist ideology at Brookings, thinks it might also be counterproductive.) It implies that every Muslim is under suspicion of being sympathetic to terrorism unless he or she explicitly says otherwise. The implication is also that any crime committed by a Muslim is the responsibility of all Muslims simply by virtue of their shared religion.

What we're asking for isn't really a denunciation,

it's an apology: an apology for Islam and for Muslims. This sort of thinking — blaming an entire group for the actions of a few individuals, assuming the worst about a person just because of their identity — is the very definition of bigotry.

video

A very simple explanation of why it's wrong to demand that Muslims condemn terrorism - Vox

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
Tay...my evaluation of MSNBC is about the same as yours of Fox ....

But I actually watch MSNBC......probably more than you watch Fox news

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC

So what? What does that have to do with the information in the article or the subject of the thread? It seems that is all you do, divert attention away from the message by attacking the messenger. I'm beginning to think, like Smack, you are getting paid to divert attention away from the truth.

personal touch

House Member
Sep 17, 2014
alberta/B.C.

the pope should have been there ,this is very important in a united front,"all"should be together for the same message.
have not heard anything regarding the pope's response to the tragedies of the world,maybe i will google.

MSNBC's Chuck Todd did something pretty unusual for a cable news host. He invited on an actual Muslim American person, Dalia Mogahed, who also happens to be an expert on Muslim attitudes in the US and globally, to politely ask her about all this.

Todd was asking her about American leaders who demand that more Muslim leaders come out to condemn ISIS. Mogahed, rather than pointing out that they already are condemning ISIS, made an important point: this is the wrong question entirely, and we need to stop demanding that Muslims condemn terrorism.

I think we should take a step back and ask a different question, which is: 'Is it justified to demand that Muslims condemn terrorism?' Now that might sound a little radical. The reason I say that is this.

Condoning the killing of civilians is, to me, about the most monstrous thing you can to do. And to be suspected of doing something so monstrous, simply because of your faith, seems very unfair. Now when you look at the majority of terrorist attacks in the United States, according to the FBI, the majority of domestic terror attacks are actually committed by white, male Christians.

Now that's just the facts. When those things occur, we don't suspect other people who share their faith and ethnicity of condoning them. We assume that these things outrage them just as much as they do anyone else. And we have to afford this same assumption of innocence to Muslims.

She's absolutely right.

This ritual, in which Muslim leaders and regular Muslims alike are expected to repeatedly denounce terrorism, is bigoted. (Will McCants, a scholar of jihadist ideology at Brookings, thinks it might also be counterproductive.) It implies that every Muslim is under suspicion of being sympathetic to terrorism unless he or she explicitly says otherwise. The implication is also that any crime committed by a Muslim is the responsibility of all Muslims simply by virtue of their shared religion.

What we're asking for isn't really a denunciation,

it's an apology: an apology for Islam and for Muslims. This sort of thinking — blaming an entire group for the actions of a few individuals, assuming the worst about a person just because of their identity — is the very definition of bigotry.

video

A very simple explanation of why it's wrong to demand that Muslims condemn terrorism - Vox
thanks tay,as usual you are a breath of fresh air for higher thinking,love reading your stuff.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Muslim leaders do denounce terrorism. Over and over and over. Boomster just never hears it because Fox and Ol' Rush don't report it.

Interesting I never heard Boomster condemn any of the attacks listed in the article.

Bar Sinister

Executive Branch Member
Jan 17, 2010
Edmonton
I expect the thousands of Muslims murdered by other Muslims in terrorist attacks probably would have denounced terrorism.

According to the Global Terrorism Database about 60% of all terrorist attacks took place in three countries: Afghanistan, Iraq, and Pakistan, all of which are overwhelmingly Muslim in population.

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012

Oh I'm not letting Chuck Todd off as he could slide over to a seat at Fox and fit right in. He is indeed part of the media cabal that tries to mold his masters (NBC) message to the masses which is why it was so unusual for him to allow that person on to explain why all Muslims or Jews or Christians etcetera have to explain crimes committed supposedly in their religions name.......

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
Ex-Muslims often find themselves caught between the anti-Muslim bigotry of the far right that demonizes all Muslims

I've lost count of how many times I've heard this question. The answer is both unsurprising and heartbreaking. In Muslim-majority countries, they are often being lashed and imprisoned for blogging, hacked to death in open daylight, or sentenced to death for writing poetry. Here in the West, they are often being disowned from their families, ostracized from their communities, and even murdered by their own families in "honor killings."

As for those who choose to leave the religion altogether, the outcome is even more sinister. There are thirteen countries, all Muslim-majority, where atheism is punishable by death. And Saudi Arabia -- the birthplace of Islam, its Prophet, and the location of its two holiest sites, Mecca and Medina -- has declared that all atheists are terrorists. Remember, this is also the home country of not only Osama bin Laden, but fifteen of the nineteen hijackers from 9/11.

When simply changing one's mind comes at such a high cost, it isn't surprising that you don't hear much from secularists, atheists, or agnostics in the Muslim world.

But this last Thursday, that changed. Maryam Namazie's Council of Ex-Muslims of Britain started the #ExMuslimBecause campaign last week, encouraging dissidents from across the Muslim world to come out and say why they left Islam.

The response was tremendous. By early Friday morning, #ExMuslimBecause was the U.K.'s top trending hashtag. We heard from secret LGBT Saudis; women who had been forced into marriages; closeted atheists in Egypt and Pakistan tweeting under pseudonyms; young women disowned by their families in the U.S.; and more

I've compiled some of the most popular tweets below. Some come from a purely rational place, and others are understandably angry -- which is relatable if you think of what so many ex-Muslims go through. There are also tweets from Muslims who did not take this trend too well, as well as those who were supportive. What you'll see below is the often unheard, third side to the international conversation we have been witnessing since the Paris attacks -- a conversation that represents an increasingly reverberating alternative narrative that is developing across the Muslim world, where atheism is on the rise. While some of it may seem shocking, it is important and should be read by everyone who wants to understand narratives from the Muslim world otherwise all too often silenced before reaching us.

#ExMuslimBecause: Thousands of Former Muslims Are Speaking Out After Paris -- and It's AmazingÂ*|Â*Ali A. Rizvi