New Zealand to blow off Union Jack on flag and choose new.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Sorry Blackloaf... another nail in the British Empire coffin.

New Zealand faces a stark choice today about what they might want their new flag to be: a) a fern, b) a fern with stars, c) another fern with stars in different colours, d) a Maori symbol of a fern, or e) not a fern?

From today until Dec. 11, New Zealanders can vote in the first of two referendums to decide on whether to replace the country’s flag. They are asked to choose between five proposed designs; then, next March, a second referendum will ask whether the new option should replace the existing flag.

New Zealand begins referendum: Five flags enter, one flag*leaves - The Globe and Mail

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
Time marches on and they are doing what we did in the sixties oh the stress of it all
I remember the whole issue being overblown. While we were trying to right the whole
economy Dief and friends spent their time fighting over a flag. Time for NZ to get on
with it

coldstream

on dbl secret probation
Oct 19, 2005
Chillliwack, BC
I've always thought we could have done a lot better job with the Canadian flag, when it replaced the old Red Ensign. The problem with it was it was designed in the full blush of modernist 'less is more' design maxims and we ended up with a very simple and (imho) mediocre flag.

Flags work better when they contain some complexity and symbolism and especially when they are cleary drawn from historical contexts and symbols. There's certainly a case for retaining the 'cross' in flags and some internal dynamic.

I guess i like the ones with Southern Cross (Crux) retained and the Silver Fern.. especially the black and blue one. Or they could just keep the old ensign.. seemed to work fine.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
I've always thought we could have done a lot better job with the Canadian flag, when it replaced the old Red Ensign. The problem with it was it was designed in the full blush of modernist 'less is more' design maxims and we ended up with a very simple and (imho) mediocre flag.

Flags work better when they contain some complexity and symbolism and especially when they are cleary drawn from historical contexts and symbols. There's certainly a case for retaining the 'cross' in flags and some internal dynamic.

I guess i like the ones with Southern Cross (Crux) retained and the Silver Fern.. especially the black and blue one. Or they could just keep the old ensign.. seemed to work fine.

I think the Great Tree of Peace would have been more hysterically rooted in North America, maybe a long with a cross. Other North American symbols could have been considered too.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
Sorry Blackloaf... another nail in the British Empire coffin.

New Zealand faces a stark choice today about what they might want their new flag to be: a) a fern, b) a fern with stars, c) another fern with stars in different colours, d) a Maori symbol of a fern, or e) not a fern?

From today until Dec. 11, New Zealanders can vote in the first of two referendums to decide on whether to replace the country’s flag. They are asked to choose between five proposed designs; then, next March, a second referendum will ask whether the new option should replace the existing flag.

New Zealand begins referendum: Five flags enter, one flag*leaves - The Globe and Mail

I rather like the one top right....it has this Zen thing going for it.

I think the Great Tree of Peace would have been more hysterically rooted in North America, maybe a long with a cross. Other North American symbols could have been considered too.

Hysterically rooted eh...............that's a new one on me.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
New Zealanders are about to vote on a new flag design, but two thirds want to keep the current one that has a touch of Britain in it, according to a new poll.

Kiwis will have to submit their ballots by December 11, electing one of five proposed new designs, three of which feature the fern – an unofficial but frequently featured symbol for New Zealanders. A fourth one features the curving Koru Maori emblem and the fifth is a white chevron with red, black and blue triangles.

Prime Minister John Key believes that the current design that has flown for 114 years, with a Union Jack in the corner, is too similar to Australia’s, but a poll shows that 65 per cent want to keep it.

The five flag finalists are being displayed across the country on flagpoles so communities can see them in person before they make their decision.

The country’s veterans group, the Returned and Services’ Association, is encouraging people to not vote in the referendum and instead write ‘I support the current flag’ on their ballots.

Two thirds of New Zealanders want to keep Britain's Union Jack flag design according to a new poll

Kiwis will have to submit their vote of the best new flag by December 11

The winner will go head-to-head with the current flag in vote next year

The Flag Consideration Panel received more than 10,000 entries

By Ted Thornhill for MailOnline
25 November 2015
Daily Mail

New Zealanders are about to vote on a new flag design, but two thirds want to keep the current one that has a touch of Britain in it, according to a new poll.

Kiwis will have to submit their ballots by December 11, electing one of five proposed new designs, three of which feature the fern – an unofficial but frequently featured symbol for New Zealanders. A fourth one features the curving Koru Maori emblem and the fifth is a white chevron with red, black and blue triangles.

Prime Minister John Key believes that the current design that has flown for 114 years, with a Union Jack in the corner, is too similar to Australia’s, but a poll shows that 65 per cent want to keep it.

About 65 percent of New Zealanders have stated in a poll that they would prefer to keep their current flag, which features the UK’s Union Jack (pictured)

The five proposed new designs and the current New Zealand flag (pictured). New Zealanders will vote on which shortlisted flag they like the bets by December 11.

The 3News Reid Research Poll, taken from November 9 to 17, showed that just 28 per cent wanted a change.

One of the most striking aspects of the shortlist is that none of the options include the Union Jack, which of course features in their current flag.

The Flag Consideration Panel received more than 10,000 entries for ideas of the new national symbol.

The current flag is too similar to Australia’s flag and doesn't represent the modern New Zealand, Prime Minister John Key told BBC.

He said the south pacific country needs a new flag that ‘screams New Zealand.’

An October poll suggests that a white fern on a red and blue background will win out of the five contenders.

The five flag finalists are being displayed across the country on flagpoles so communities can see them in person before they make their decision.

The country’s veterans group, the Returned and Services’ Association, is encouraging people to not vote in the referendum and instead write ‘I support the current flag’ on their ballots.

An October poll suggests that a white fern on a red and blue background (pictured) will win out of the five contenders

Three of the proposed flags feature the fern – an unofficial but frequently featured symbol for New Zealanders

The five flag finalists are being displayed across the country on flagpoles so communities can see them in person before they make their decision

A fourth flag features the curving Koru Maori emblem

The fifth flag is a white chevron with red, black and blue triangles called ‘Red Peak’ (pictured). It was included in the vote after a social media campaign was launched asking it be proposed to the public

The group has criticised the country’s leadership for spending NZ$25 million (AUS$16.4 million) on the proposed change, saying it is a waste of money.

People should select a flag they feel represents ‘New Zealand’s proud, pioneering past and its exciting, ambitious future,’ Deputy Prime Minister Bill English said.

‘This is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity,’ he said.

‘Very few governments around the world have ever asked their citizens for their views on the design of their national flag.’

New Zealand is now independent from the British Empire but Queen Elizabeth II remains the head of state.

For a new flag to replace the current one it will need to beat it in a second vote that’s being held next year.

I like the bottom middle one -- not that that matters at all.

I like the one on the bottom right the best, as so do our New Zealand brothers, it seems.

Even though you are all Britain's daughters, I've always felt that America is now so alien to Britain that it's like our fourth cousin three times removed. Canada is our first cousin. Australia and New Zealand, however, with their love of cricket and rugby and whatnot, are like our sisters, so much more similar to Britain than Canada and, especially, America. New Zealand and Australia are just so much more culturally similar to Britain than Canada and America are.

There's no way the New Zealanders will get rid of their current flag. These people (unlike many in North America) appreciate and recognise the fact that Britain created their country. They also have family ties in Britain. Most Kiwis have mothers, fathers, sons, daughters, grandparents, cousins, uncles and aunts etc in Britain. They will want to keep their close links with Great Britain alive. In fact, the Kiwis are so fond of their close ties with Britain they still haven't forgiven the British for leaving them in the lurch by joining the EU in 1973, which caused a downturn in the New Zealand economy. Britain should leave the EU and start forging closer links with the Commonwealth.