No bloody wonder serious crime is running rampant!

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta

HarperCons

Council Member
Oct 18, 2015
Plus his insinuation that a torturous prison setting is an effective deterrent - which is more than just demonstrably false but makes a human even more susceptible to violence. Not even the death penalty has been an effective deterrent.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Plus his insinuation that a torturous prison setting is an effective deterrent - which is more than just demonstrably false but makes a human even more susceptible to violence. Not even the death penalty has been an effective deterrent.

That S.O.B. has no business even being on the planet. On your second point you are dead wrong. I've yet to hear of a single recurrence after the A$$hole's been executed!

davesmom

Council Member
Oct 11, 2015
Southern Ontario
I read about this MURDERER this morning . According to him, prison life is all fun and games. That's a wonderful incentive to get into prison for anyone struggling to get along in today's society!
The story made me so mad I didn't even finish reading it. How long is this guy in for?

Once upon a time we had a prison farm in my area. There was a high percentage of prisoners there who were rehabilitated. They learned trades and discovered the satisfaction of a job well done. And due to their labours the prison was self sustaining.
Repeat offenders (those who didn't rehabilitate) were given a couple of lashes with the cat-o'-nine and that usually cured them permanently.
When society started getting soft on criminals the training stopped, the farming stopped, the land was sold off and the prisoners sat around all day with nothing to do but plot their next criminal act.
Is it cruel and unusual punishment to make a criminal pay the consequences of his crime? What about the cruel and unusual punishment he has inflicted on his victims.
I'm all for rehabilitation but only the individual can rehabilitate himself. No amount of coddling, therapy or persuasion can make it happen. To motivate prisoners to rehabilitate there should be an incentive. what incentive is there when there is no consequence for their behavior and no direction given to them to improve their skills or do something to feel good about themselves?
As it stands now there is no justice for victims of crime. The only training prisoners get is how to be better criminals.

HarperCons

Council Member
Oct 18, 2015
That S.O.B. has no business even being on the planet.
maybe not , but torturing him as revenge doesn't help anyone.

On your second point you are dead wrong. I've yet to hear of a single recurrence after the A$$hole's been executed!

there's been plenty of studies that show the death penalty doesn't discourage crime. to your witty remark, prison in life will just as well ensure the person is kept from committing further atrocities in society.

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa
On your second point you are dead wrong. I've yet to hear of a single recurrence after the A$$hole's been executed!

Deterrent never refers to the person being executed.

Id rather keep 1000 serial killers alive in prison than to risk killing one innocent person with them. You need an absolutely perfect system if you want it to have that power. I dont see that happening anytime soon.

Also your thread title is dead wrong. Just look at the crime rates. Murder ones too. They've been trending downwards for some time.

The story made me so mad I didn't even finish reading it. How long is this guy in for?

Indeed. The headline was enough for me. I dont particularly care about what Magnotta says or does behind bars. Realistically he stands 0 chance of ever getting out so Im not worried at all about him.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Hopefully until someone/something kills him!

The Forum Genius is angry again. Can only disagree but doesn't have an inkling why! :) :) :) :)

You need an absolutely perfect system if you want it to have that power.

Not quite! There isn't a single aspect of life that comes with 100% guarantees. You can get pretty close if you just limit it to those guilty of 3 or more qualifying crimes OR a combination of photography and D.N.A..

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
Id rather keep 1000 serial killers alive in prison than to risk killing one innocent person

Agreed. Additionally, I generally find that government screws up everything it does. I wouldn't want to give them the power to execute me when they have a difficult time running a school.

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.

there's been plenty of studies that show the death penalty doesn't discourage crime. to your witty remark, prison in life will just as well ensure the person is kept from committing further atrocities in society.

Like a few on here, he could become a tad butthurt.:roll:

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
Deterrent never refers to the person being executed.

Id rather keep 1000 serial killers alive in prison than to risk killing one innocent person with them. You need an absolutely perfect system if you want it to have that power. I dont see that happening anytime soon.

Also your thread title is dead wrong. Just look at the crime rates. Murder ones too. They've been trending downwards for some time.

Magnotta, an affirmed homosexual, being in a segregated area (only sex offenders) is likely not too hard for him to adapt to.

But more to your first response......

Romeo Phillion, wrongfully imprisoned for 32 years, dies at 76

Phillion spent 32 years in prison for a wrongful conviction for murder and was in the process of suing the Crown and police for $14 million.

The government referred Phillion’s case to the Ontario Court of Appeal, which ordered a new trial — but not an acquittal — in 2009.

The court found that it was never disclosed to the defence at the first trial that police had verified Phillion’s alibi, showing his innocence.

The police report confirming the alibi might never have surfaced, had a parole officer not shown it to Phillion in 1998, according to his biography on the AIDWYC website.

http://m.thestar.com/#/article/news...-wrongfully-convicted-of-murder-has-died.html

AIDWYC – The Association in Defence of the Wrongly Convicted – Historical Cases

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island

Until they are let out. Ready to reoffend.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
Magnotta, an affirmed homosexual, being in a segregated area (only sex offenders) is likely not too hard for him to adapt to.

But more to your first response......

Romeo Phillion, wrongfully imprisoned for 32 years, dies at 76

Phillion spent 32 years in prison for a wrongful conviction for murder and was in the process of suing the Crown and police for $14 million.

The government referred Phillion’s case to the Ontario Court of Appeal, which ordered a new trial — but not an acquittal — in 2009.

The court found that it was never disclosed to the defence at the first trial that police had verified Phillion’s alibi, showing his innocence.

The police report confirming the alibi might never have surfaced, had a parole officer not shown it to Phillion in 1998, according to his biography on the AIDWYC website.

http://m.thestar.com/#/article/news...-wrongfully-convicted-of-murder-has-died.html

None of that matters to vindictive a$$holes. To death penalty advocates, common sense, statistics, fiscal responsibility and reason go right out the window when the subject is broached

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012

I am of the mind that the Nat Post and Sun Media did Canadians a favour in giving Magnotta the attention he was seeking by publishing his story.

They have enlightened us as to how much of a sham and simplistic lip service the Harper CONS paid to their 'constituents' via their supposed 'hard on crime' bafflegabbing agenda.........