The extraordinary death of an Australian fisherman snatched from his boat by a ...

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
Further proof that everything in Australia is trying to kill you....

CANBERRA, Australia — The extraordinary death of a fisherman snatched from his boat by a leaping crocodile prompted a coroner on Friday to urge authorities to warn boat users of the growing crocodile danger in northern Australia.

Wildlife rangers in the Northern Territory have heard reports of crocodiles launching at, nudging and biting boats, the territory government told a coroner’s inquest into Bill Scott’s death last year. The inquest ended on Friday with Coroner Greg Cavanagh making his report and recommendations.

Family and friends watched in horror as a 4.74 metre crocodile leapt from a waterhole and clamped its jaws around the left shoulder and chest of Bill Scott as he stood in his 3.5-metre aluminum boat. The crocodile then flipped the 62-year-old man into the water and he was never seen again alive.

Cavanagh said Scott might be the first person known to have been taken by a croc from a boat. But it was not the first time a croc had tried, Cavanagh said.

Fisherman Jeff Bolitho had testified to the inquest that a 4-metre croc once leapt over the side of his boat, knocking Bolitho off his chair and leaving teeth marks in the back of his head and shoulder.

Cavanagh recommended that the Northern Territory government add to its public crocodile warnings that: “Saltwater crocodiles can attack people in boats and the smaller the boat, the greater the risk.”

Wildlife rangers have added protective railings on their own boats since the death. But authorities are reluctant to recommend that the public do the same in case leaning on railings makes some types of hull less stable.

Scott’s death happened in the World Heritage-listed Kakadu National Park at a waterhole named Bill Dean Billabong. It was crocodile hunter Bill Dean’s favourite place to shoot crocodiles until they became a protected species under federal law in 1971.

With hunting banned, croc numbers in the Northern Territory have exploded from 3,000 to an estimated 80,000 to 100,000.

Because saltwater crocodiles can live up 70 years and grow throughout their lives, reaching up to 7 metres, the proportion of large crocodiles is also rising.

Cavanagh found that crocs had become familiar with boats and generally no longer fear humans as they did when humans were predators.

Of the 21 people killed by crocs in in the Northern Territory since 1974, four died last year. That was the largest annual toll since records began. There have been no fatal attacks in Australia this year.

The extraordinary death of an Australian fisherman snatched from his boat by a leaping crocodile | National Post

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
Oz's ideas of wildlife management have been a disaster since I can remember.
Rabbits, mice, cane toads, rats, etc. and now crocs. Oz, the land of plagues. I wonder if they will bring back the cane toads to kill a few crocs.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Fishing makes no sense. You can buy that stuff at Costco or Safeway for one tenth the hassle
It makes a lot more sense than golf. At least you get to eat your catch. Can't eat golf balls and it costs you nothing but money, not to mention all the arable land that golf courses use up.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
It makes a lot more sense than golf. At least you get to eat your catch.

Nope. After 4 hours of golf, you're guaranteed completing your goal which is to play a round of golf. You don't have to stop at Costco after golfing and buy a golf game because you failed to golf

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
It makes a lot more sense than golf. At least you get to eat your catch. Can't eat golf balls and it costs you nothing but money, not to mention all the arable land that golf courses use up.
Yeeaah......One thing we agree on ....and none of that catch and release, only catch what I or family can eat!

Ludlow

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 7, 2014
wherever i sit down my ars
Fishing makes no sense. You can buy that stuff at Costco or Safeway for one tenth the hassle
Actually I enjoy the sport. Not really all that keen on eating fresh water fish I prefer seafood but it is relaxing to sit on a river bank, enjoy the outdoors and nature and drop a line in the water. The fish can be released to fight another day

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
Fishing is no hassle to some people. Going to a store is a hassle to some people. And you still have to hit costco to replace the balls you lose when golfing.

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003

I think most people who go to fish do so to get out of the house, get into the wilds and drink.

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
Golfers have hydrophobia.
And you can't easily eat golf balls and they can't fight back.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
Some folks like fishing. Some do not. Big deal. Apparently some are willing to die for the fun in fishing.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
I think most people who go to fish do so to get out of the house, get into the wilds and drink.

I'm all for that. I live 1/2 mile from a river. Love to go down to the river bank on a nice sunny day have a few beers, maybe wade in the water. Wouldn't want to ruin that by having to hold a fishing rod.

PoliticalNick

The Troll Bashing Troll
Mar 8, 2011
Edson, AB
Like they say...

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day. ;-)