Runner Disqualified After Helping Collapsed Rival Finish Race

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
This is what is wrong with the people...

After crossing the finish line in first place during a recent cross-country race, an Iowa runner was disqualified and stripped of his win for helping a rival runner who collapsed before finishing.

And despite an outcry in the local community -- especially since this was the high school senior's last chance to win the upcoming state title -- race officials Tuesday stood by their decision.

Zachary Hougland, 17, was walking to his team’s camp after crossing the finish line and earning the title of district champion, the first in Davis County High School’s history, when he saw Garret Hinson, 17, collapse, Davis County coach Josh Husted told ABC News Tuesday.

"Zach saw him and shouted at other runners, 'Is anyone going to help him?'" he said.

When no one stepped forward to help, Hougland put Hinson’s arm around him and lead him to the finish line during Thursday's race before letting go so Hinson, of Mediapolis High School, also in Iowa, could finish the race on his own, Husted said.

"I was amazed that someone that'd just won the race would come back and help somebody like he did," Hinson told ABC News today. "I never expected something like that to happen to me."

Hougland thought about what it would feel like if no one had helped him, he told ABC News Tuesday.

"Even though he wasn’t on my team, I thought I’d show some good sportsmanship," he said. "I wasn’t thinking about how he was on another team or what officials would say about it."

Although Hougland showed what Husted called "a lot of sportsmanship and character," he was disqualified for helping another runner. As a senior, it was Hougland’s last chance to earn a berth to race for the state championship, Husted said.

Jared Chizek, assistant director of the Iowa High School Athletic Association, told ABC News that race officials follow National Federation of State High School Association (NFHS) rules.

"NFHS rules do not allow a competitor to receive or give assistance from or to another competitor during a race," he said. "If a competitor receives or gives assistance, that competitor is disqualified from the event."

Although Hougland was stripped of his win, he is still eligible to compete in the state meet as part of a team because his team qualified, Chizek added.

Hougland’s mom, Nancy Hougland, said she was proud of her son.

"Cross-country is a sport where in some of these places they’re kind of off by themselves so it’s nice to think that the kids have each other’s backs," she said, also saying she thinks the "rules need to be tweaked."

Hinson said he was upset over Hougland's disqualification and the rules.

"When I first found out from his coach that he had been disqualified, I was more upset over that than I had been over how my own race had went," Hinson said. "Cross-country is a sport that takes months of dedication and training. To take away someone's chances at a state run for helping out someone that was obviously struggling when it was too late to have really affected any results doesn't seem right."

To show appreciation for Hougland, the Mediapolis girls’ cross-country team, which made it to the state meet, made shirts in Davis County colors -- maroon and gold -- instead of their colors -- black and orange, Hinson's mom Kim Hinson told ABC News.

"The back says something like 'He could've celebrated with his teammates but instead he chose to put his arm around me,'" she said. "And underneath the quote it has Garret and

Runner Disqualified After Helping Collapsed Rival Finish Race, But Hero of Rival's School - ABC News

PoliticalNick

The Troll Bashing Troll
Mar 8, 2011
Edson, AB
Some rules are just stupid.

Personally I think he could fight it on the technicality that he had finished so was therfore not a participant at that time but then again why bother....the governing body already look stupid as hell, not worth making them look even worse. Better to just be the better man.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
Yeah, good sportsmanship is vastly better than rigidly sticking to rules anyways. It shows humanity. Rigidly sticking to rules shows lack of reason, and is political and bureaucratic.

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
what ever happened to sportmanship and sportman like conduct?

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
It is still around apparently: it is just not as prevalent as the confrontation & divisiveness.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
Meh. Rules can be changed. Idiocy, not so easy to change. Fortunately, goodness is also hard to change.

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
Roolz is roolz.

Any fool can make a rule
And any fool will mind it.”
― Henry David Thoreau

“Know the rules well, so you can break them effectively.”
― Dalai Lama XIV

and my favourite:
“The greatest crimes in the world are not committed by people breaking the rules but by people following the rules. It's people who follow orders that drop bombs and massacre villages.”
― Banksy,

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
The rules are wrong
Possibly but unless you're willing to move to Iowa, run for a seat on the board of the athletic association, what are you gonna do. The problem we have today is that nobody gets in trouble if they follow policy but risk sanctions if they don't. That wouldn't be a problem if we had competent people in charge. We need to collectively figure out the difference between "authorization" and "qualification".

PoliticalNick

The Troll Bashing Troll
Mar 8, 2011
Edson, AB
He broke the rules. They're right there in black and white.

He got what he deserved.

Thought you were some great legal scholar? He had crossed the finish line so was no longer a competitor. At that time he was simply a spectator and they board has no authority to sanction him.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
Thought you were some great legal scholar? He had crossed the finish line so was no longer a competitor. At that time he was simply a spectator and they board has no authority to sanction him.

Exactly. That's probably why Jim Schoenfeld wasn't suspended for getting into an altercation with Koharski after the game. He was no longer a coach, just a spectator.... oh... wait...

www.youtube.com/watch?v=asOmo8a4hrE

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Compared to you? Yes, I am. As is demonstrated by the fact that you don't appear to understand what "disqualified" means. But here's a hint, just for your pointy little head. A disqualified competitor cannot win.

Here's an example for the particularly slow-witted. Let's say this lad won, and the day after the race tested positive for performance enhancing drugs. He would be disqualified, and his win taken away. Regardless of the fact that the race was over. For breaking the rules of the sport.

Hope that helped. I'll bill you.