Muslim truck drivers refuse to deliver beer, win $240,000 lawsuit

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
An Illinois jury awarded $240,000 in damages and back pay to two former truck drivers who claimed religious discrimination when they were fired in 2009 after refusing to make beer delivery.

A jury was convened to determine damages after US District Court Judge James E. Shadid ruled in favor of Mahad Abass Mohamed and Abdkiarim Hassan Bulshale when Star Transport admitted liability in March. The men, both of whom are Somali-American Muslims, were represented by the federal Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC).

Under Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, employers must make accommodations for workers' religious beliefs unless doing so would impose "undue hardship" on the business.

As UCLA law professor Eugene Volokh explained to The Washington Post, the trucking company admitted that drivers often switched their assignments, meaning it would have been reasonable to accommodate the men's request, rather than firing them.

The jury delivered its verdict in 45 minutes, on Oct. 20. However, the case appears to have picked up national attention when Fox News' Megyn Kelly invited the channel's legal analyst Judge Andrew Napolitano on air Monday, where the two criticized the government-appointed agency for cherry picking cases to serve a political agenda.

"It’s unfortunate when the government interferes in a private dispute over religious views and takes sides, and chooses one religion over another," Judge Napolitano said, responding to Ms. Kelly's accusation that the government had not provided Christians who object to workplace demands with the same protections as the Muslim truck drivers.

Kelly specifically cited the cases of Kim Davis, the Kentucky county clerk briefly jailed for refusing to issue marriage licenses after the Supreme Court's decision to legalize gay marriage nationwide, and private bakers' disputed rights to refuse serving gay couples.

Critics who told Ms. Davis "If you can't do the job, don't take the job," or resign, ought to be saying the same thing to workers of other faiths, Kelly said.

According to Professor Volokh, the US Civil Rights Act "rejects" the idea that employees should just resign when their beliefs come into conflict with their responsibilities, and has often been used to protect Christians: a 2012 settlement, for example, when the EEOC represented a Jehovah's Witness fired for refusing to raise the American flag, which violated his religious views.

However, as both liberal and conservative analysts have pointed out, under the Civil Rights Act, elected public officials are exempt from some of the law's protections, although Kentucky law restores some of those rights to elected officials like Davis.

County clerks are asked to “certify that [couples have] met the state requirements for marriage. So her religious opposition to same-sex marriage is absolutely irrelevant in this context," Columbia law professor Katherine Franke argued on National Public Radio, contrasting Davis' personal views of marriage with the legal definition. "Couples in Kentucky are being asked to pay the price of her religious observance.”

Davis was released from jail after 5 days, and permitted to return to work, where her deputies continued to issue marriage licenses whose language had been slightly altered, but, as her lawyers argue in the ongoing case, still legal.

But religious discrimination lawsuits, from workers of all faiths, seem unlikely to fizzle from public view any time soon.

Esquire writer Dave Holmes suggests that such lawsuits present an enticing political strategy, though for quite a different reason than what the Fox commentators allege.

When gay couples "are withheld the right to marry, they lose something real," he wrote last month. On the other hand, the way rights cases have been framed in the past, gay marriage opponents merely lose "a concept," a distinction Holmes says helped Americans accept the legalization of gay marriage.

But once the issues are framed as workplace discrimination, he argues, something very real is at stake, that everyone can understand and appreciate regardless of creed or culture: a job.

Muslim truck drivers refuse to deliver beer, win $240,000 lawsuit

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
They're gonna tie up the Courts in all the PC legislation they've become mired in over the years. How about the Courts decide not to be a platform? Do it or quit....

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Wait a minute! I thought the Qur'án and ahadith prohibited the consumption of alcohol, not its delivery. What others do with the alcohol once it's delivered is their business, no?

Show me where the Qur'án or ahadith prohibits the serving of alcohol as opposed to its consumption.

As far as I know, the Qur'án and ahadith prohibit only its consumption, not its serving.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
Wait a minute! I thought the Qur'án and ahadith prohibited the consumption of alcohol, not its delivery. What others do with the alcohol once it's delivered is their business, no?

Show me where the Qur'án or ahadith prohibits the serving of alcohol as opposed to its consumption.

As far as I know, the Qur'án and ahadith prohibit only its consumption, not its serving.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=bw82zZ5uQ4o

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
I'm suddenly compelled to find Gawd through the practice of a religion that has six Sabbath days per week.

Of course, Gawd forbids working on the Sabbath.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
And yet they have no problem selling alcohol in their Paki shops.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Yes, just like Christians, there are differing views within the religion.

Bull****. There's nothing in Islime which says Muslimes can't handle cans of lager or bottles of WKD. Muslimes are quite happy handling cans of Carling when they're selling it in their off-licenses. I get a load of my lager from Patel's Multimart round the corner. The Muslime lorry drivers in this case are just playing their race card to make loads of dosh.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Throwing tennis balls at a tank, Cannuck. Blackleaf gets to define what is and is not Muslim doctrine. Because Her Maj!

There's nothing in Islime which says Muslimes can't handle containers of alcohol. Most off-licences - shops, usually corner shops, which are licensed to sell alcoholic beverages - are run by Muslimes. They're quite happy to touch cans of lager when they're selling it in their shops.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Far be it from me to argue with someone who has read and studied the Koran thoroughly.

How much of the Koran have you read?

Where in the Koran does it say that Muslimes aren't allow to even drive vehicles which are carrying alcohol?

The problem with much of the Western world today is that it is run by too many people like you and not enough people like me (as used to be the case), hence why we have our gullible, naive left-wing-run courts - courts run by you lot - awarding hundreds of thousands of dollars to crafty Muslimes who will be laughing at the judges behind their back (and all the way to the bank) at just how stupid and gullible they are.

It's also noticeable how it's always Muslims who get their way in the courts, never Christians. A Christian couple wants to ban homosexuals from their B&B? They are hauled in front of court and fined. Them wanting to follow their religion doesn't matter to the court, whereas Muslims get away with anything as long as they tell the courts it's their religion.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
How much of the Koran have you read?
I'm not the one claiming to be the authority on Muslim doctrine.

Where in the Koran does it say that Muslimes aren't allow to even drive vehicles which are carrying alcohol?
Where does it say in the Bible that the queen is the head of the church?

The problem with much of the Western world today is that it is run by too many people like you and not enough people like me (as used to be the case), hence why we have our gullible, naive left-wing-run courts - courts run by you lot - awarding hundreds of thousands of dollars to crafty Muslimes who will be laughing at the judges behind their back (and all the way to the bank) at just how stupid and gullible they are.
The problem with much of the Western world today is the presence and prevalence of morons like you.

Besides, I'm looking forward to Britainistan. Should be just a few months now.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
I'm not the one claiming to be the authority on Muslim doctrine.

Well, it doesn't say anywhere in the evil Koran that a Muslime can't touch containers containing alcohol. They may not be able to drink it, but there's nothing in the Koran which states they can't touch a can of lager or drive a vehicle which is carrying alcohol.

Where does it say in the Bible that the queen is the head of the church?
Jesus is the Head of the Church of England. Unlike idolatrous Catholicism, no mere mortal is the Head of the Church of England.

The problem with much of the Western world today is the presence and prevalence of morons like you.
No. You're wrong. The Western world's decline was brought about when it's ruling establishments were taken over by a cabal of left-wing sociology students and liberals in the 1960s, who hate everything that is white, Christian and Western and who are still running us (badly) today.

Besides, I'm looking forward to Britainistan. Should be just a few months now.
That'll never happen, not then when there are people like me around.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
Bull****. There's nothing in Islime which says Muslimes can't handle cans of lager or bottles of WKD. Muslimes are quite happy handling cans of Carling when they're selling it in their off-licenses. I get a load of my lager from Patel's Multimart round the corner. The Muslime lorry drivers in this case are just playing their race card to make loads of dosh.

Since you are neither a Muslim nor a scholar, you will have to excuse me for not caring about your pedantic (not to mention quite silly) opinion.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Since you are neither a Muslim nor a scholar, you will have to excuse me for not caring about your pedantic (not to mention quite silly) opinion.

There's nothing pedantic or silly about me. Can you show me the passage in the Koran which states that Muslims can't even touch containers of alcohol?

You know the Muslims in this story will be laughing right now at just how gullible and naive you lot (who now also run our courts, unfortunately) are that you actually believe them.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Also, had these two bozos been Christians, and they said went to court claiming they had suffered anti-Christian religious discrimination at work, do you think the court would have given them $240,000 in damages? No, they wouldn't, because Christians are hated by the courts and the entire Western establishments, yet every whim of the Muslims is catered to.