At least one person dead after tour vessel sinks off B.C. Coast

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
At least one person is dead after a tour boat carrying 27 people sank off the coast of Tofino, British Columbia, the Joint Rescue Co-ordination Centre in Victoria says.

Officials say there are both fatalities and survivors, but it’s not yet clear how many people may have died in the sinking.

More information is expected to be provided by officials after 9 p.m. EDT

At least one person dead after tour vessel sinks off B.C. Coast | CP24.com

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
This is one of those unfortunate things that happen when we mix our
lives with wildlife and the sea. I just hope this doesn't end up with a
million rules and finger pointing

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
This is one of those unfortunate things that happen when we mix our
lives with wildlife and the sea. I just hope this doesn't end up with a
million rules and finger pointing

On the other hand it might not be a bad idea if the cause can be determined to reduce deaths in the future.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
Maybe I could take the survivors on a tour of grizzly habitat next spring after their wakeup call. That should give 'em a thrill, too.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
I am the jackass? You could not see a haha if it jumped up and bit your freakin beak, you sad, bitter, little bird.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
I know the North Pacific you don't-I Win.
You do not have a clue what I know. Poor little bird. But here, you won a cookie for making me chuckle.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
You'd have to leave the house to have any idea what I know Granny- and we all know your house leaving days are now restricted to Handy Dart runs only.

Sorry. You must have me mistaken for your SO. There are no dart buses around here. I have a 2001 Dakota that runs just fine.

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
the radio news mentioned that Jamie's whaling tours has had fatalities back in the late 1990's. A german tourist and tour operator were killed on a whale watching expedition.

Those that survived can thank the locals who, as always, responded first.

Last edited:

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
the radio news mentioned that Jamie's whaling tours has had a fatality back in the late 1990's. A german tourist and tour operator were killed on a whale watching expedition.

Those that survived can thank the locals who, as always, responded first.

I think I vaguely recall that incident. I also remember an incident where a whale watcher who was standing on the rocks got swept off by a high wave and drowned. I'm fairly familiar with the west coast of Vancouver Island and the necessity to always expect the unexpected. I think wearing a life jacket is a must any time you are within 10 yards of the water.

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
I think I vaguely recall that incident. I also remember an incident where a whale watcher who was standing on the rocks got swept off by a high wave and drowned. I'm fairly familiar with the west coast of Vancouver Island and the necessity to always expect the unexpected. I think wearing a life jacket is a must any time you are within 10 yards of the water.

Life jacket will help keep you bouyant, but it won't keep you warm and the swells can be really bad and they can pound you into the rocks along with the currents.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
Let's hope a 3 year old doesn't end up being washed up on some beach as it would show how what hypocrites we are at the core level.