Men are threatened by intelligent women, study finds

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
Men are attracted to the idea of dating intelligent women - but don't actually like the reality of it.

That's according to researchers who carried out several studies into what men find desirable in women.

The findings, to be published in the November edition of ‘Personality and Social Psychology Bulletin’, concluded that men find the propect of dating intelligent women intimidating.

The study, carried out by researchers the University of Buffalo, California Lutheran University and University of Texas, Austin, posits that men’s attraction to certain traits in women can be directly affected by how realistic a romantic prospect their potential lover is.

Broken into two parts, 105 men were first read a hypothetical scenario involving a woman who either outperformed or underperformed them in a Maths or English course and then made to imagine them as a romantic partner.

The men ranked a woman who outscored them as a more desirable partner, with the study stating that “men formed favourable impressions and showed greater interest in women who displayed more (versus less) intelligence than themselves.”

However, the second part of the study – when men were asked if they would date such a woman in real life – showed that the men got cold feet. “[Men faced in this real life scenario] distanced themselves more from her, tended to rate her as less attractive, and showed less desire to exchange contact information or plan a date with her”.

While the authors behind the study caution that more experimentation may be needed to confirm the conclusion, they do believe that “feelings of diminished masculinity accounted for men’s decreased attraction toward women who outperformed them.”

Men are threatened by intelligent women, study finds | Science | News | The Independent

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
Unintelligent women have threatened me as well, what the fu ck is new about a threatening woman?

And they were paid for a study to confirm the common knowledge well understood far back in ancient primate history the idea predates the widespread use of fire for fu ck sake!

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
I would modify that because men who are comfortable with their own masculinity are not threatened but celebrate intelligent women. It is really a pleasure to have an intelligent conversation with women. Lord knows, it is difficult to find an intelligent male to communicate with: beer, sports and cars do not make for intelligent conversation, sorry.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
I would modify that because men who are comfortable with their own masculinity are not threatened but celebrate intelligent women. It is really a pleasure to have an intelligent conversation with women. Lord knows, it is difficult to find an intelligent male to communicate with: beer, sports and cars do not make for intelligent conversation, sorry.

How do we know there isn't a woman there with you bewitching you with her eyes making you say that eh?

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Are we more threatened by the women or the intelligence?
I think most men are threatened by their own lack of confidence as men. The stereotyping of masculinity in our society (big boys don't cry, etc) is extremely unnatural and emotionally repressive.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
I think most men are threatened by their own lack of confidence as men. The stereotyping of masculinity in our society (big boys don't cry, etc) is extremely unnatural and emotionally repressive.

I know that it can't be unnatural since we can observe so much of it and we're organic ourselves, natural, the species lives all over the globe in diverse conditions, we're adapable, we here in the northern latitudes don't get enough light, five months of repression, heaps of firewood builds confidence in men

And a functioning snow plow.

Jinentonix

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 6, 2015
Olympus Mons
In the case of my wife, it was definitely her looks that initially attracted me to her. But it was her mind that made me want to spend the rest of my life getting to know her.

I...am an incredibly lucky man.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
In the case of my wife, it was definitely her looks that initially attracted me to her. But it was her mind that made me want to spend the rest of my life getting to know her.

I...am an incredibly lucky man.

She must be a very kind and understaning person to put up with you. Maybe you could ask her to help you understand a world that obviously defys your capacity for sound reasoning.

Jinentonix

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 6, 2015
Olympus Mons
She must be a very kind and understaning person to put up with you. Maybe you could ask her to help you understand a world that obviously defys your capacity for sound reasoning.
That's pretty humorous coming from someone who's only date consisted of taking out the garbage.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
My girlfriend is brilliant. She's the type of person that succeeds at everything she tries. She doesn't intimidate me in the least.