9 cities abolish Columbus Day in favor Indigenous Peoplesí Day

B00Mer
Quote: Originally Posted by AnnaGView Post

Tissue?

He will need the whole box, he's sensitive in that way.

Ludlow

I'm going to steal a word from selfie's limited diction and say, "idolatry".

Tissue?

Yeah we do create our hero's. Putting humans on a pedestal usually builds us up to a let down that's for sure.

Ludlow
Is that the one that goes, "please mr custer, I don't wanna go. There's an injun out there he's a waitin for muh hair, Please mr custer. I don't wanna go."

Cliffy
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by B00MerView Post

...and there are those that are just assh0les naturally, like you.

Oh NO!!! Did I dis one of your heroes? Remember dear boy, everybody is an assh0le to somebody.

Quote: Originally Posted by DaSleeperView Post

This is Cliffy........

Jinentonix
Quote: Originally Posted by CliffyView Post

Did you read what I posted (post #62)? It is in there what a monster the prick was.

Do you read much history? I only ask because Columbus was only one in a very long, long line.
We talk about how great Genghis Khan and his empire was, despite the fact he and his Mongols slaughtered countless people and completely wiped out a culture or two. Yet Khan is considered to be a great man because of the empire he built.
It's been no different throughout history, whether it was the Egyptians, Persians, Greeks, Romans, Babylonians, etc. But the moment we talk of European expansion and conquest and empire, suddenly we look at it through modern day eyes with a 21st century mindset and judge it accordingly.
You can't reasonably judge Columbus when you are 500+ years removed from the event. Different times, different attitudes, different mores.
Having said all that, I have no idea why Columbus gets credit for discovering the Americas when it was Bronze Age Britons( Fishermen from England's south-west most likely) that were the first Europeans to "discover" the Americas some 400-600 years before the Vikings, who were about 500 years ahead of Columbus.

mentalfloss
This is great news.

It's nice to see people finally adopting the right social values rather than get caught up in distractions like the economy.

Cliffy
Quote: Originally Posted by JinentonixView Post

Do you read much history? I only ask because Columbus was only one in a very long, long line.
We talk about how great Genghis Khan and his empire was, despite the fact he and his Mongols slaughtered countless people and completely wiped out a culture or two. Yet Khan is considered to be a great man because of the empire he built.
It's been no different throughout history, whether it was the Egyptians, Persians, Greeks, Romans, Babylonians, etc. But the moment we talk of European expansion and conquest and empire, suddenly we look at it through modern day eyes with a 21st century mindset and judge it accordingly.
You can't reasonably judge Columbus when you are 500+ years removed from the event. Different times, different attitudes, different mores.
Having said all that, I have no idea why Columbus gets credit for discovering the Americas when it was Bronze Age Britons( Fishermen from England's south-west most likely) that were the first Europeans to "discover" the Americas some 400-600 years before the Vikings, who were about 500 years ahead of Columbus.

The Chinese were here before them and the Polynesians before them. Yes I read a lot of history. We were talking about why in hell are the Yanks celebrating Columbus day. He was a mass murderer and he didn't start any empires.

Quote: Originally Posted by mentalflossView Post

This is great news.

It's nice to see people finally adopting the right social values rather than get caught up in distractions like the economy.

The economy is a distraction. It is based on dept, has no real value and enslaves the working class through tax and dept. It needs to be replaced with something that has value and is not open to the rampant greed and corruption of the present system. Does that satisfy your need for relevant dialogue?

Jinentonix

The Chinese were here before them and the Polynesians before them.

Uh huh, but being that the US was primarily derived from European stock, it's unlikely they'd be celebrating Chinese or Polynesian discoveries. That's why I qualified my statement by saying that Columbus wasn't the first European to "discover" the Americas.

We were talking about why in hell are the Yanks celebrating Columbus day. He was a mass murderer and he didn't start any empires.

Columbus acted on behalf of Spain. Spain's empire included holdings in the New World that he had "recently discovered". Although one could just as easily argue it was the Catholic Church's empire.

Cliffy

Although one could just as easily argue it was the Catholic Church's empire.

I contend that when the Roman Empire was self destructing, it consolidated its holdings and became the Catholic Church, so yes, it was part of the Church's Empire, just like most of the European conquests around the globe.

Tecumsehsbones

That was well into the Iron Age.

Many, possibly most, historians accept that St. Brendan's Navigatio is essentially accurate.

Cliffy
+2

Ludlow
wonder why folks just didn't stay the fvck home and mind their own bidness.

EagleSmack
Maybe Hannah Dustin Day then?

Ludlow
and that does not include folks that were forced from their homes , like the native americans and the people Ferdinand and Isabel threw out,,etc,,etc.

EagleSmack
+1
I can't wait until Thanksgiving comes around.

AnnaG
Quote: Originally Posted by LudlowView Post

Population growth squeezing out the least desirable, curiosity about what's on the other side of the fence, boredom prodding people to seek new things, etc.

Danbones
+1
funny, one day soon white will be the new black...
or red...or yellow
i think its called fema camps

if the injuns just had some tupperware, they could have saved some of that slaughtered buffalo meat
maybe things would be different today

Population growth squeezing out the least desirable, curiosity about what's on the other side of the fence, boredom prodding people to seek new things, etc.

lol
you forgot the drink shoot rape and pillage part

AnnaG
Quote: Originally Posted by DanbonesView Post

lol
you forgot the drink shoot rape and pillage part

hehe I did say "etc." at the end.

Quote:

Funny, one day soon white will be the new black..

... or in the UK's case, brown.

Curious Cdn

You should read the Vinland Sagas and their references to encountering the "Skraelings" or natives, here. The meetings were not happy, brotherly and were always martial in nature. The Vikings didn't commit genocide here because there were too few of them to pull it off. If anything, THEY may have been the victims of genocide.

damngrumpy
Well it is of little concern here in Canada but I see things coming. Sports teams
some a hundred years old being pressured to change names. and a host of
other demands. Columbus did bring a number of adverse changes but that is
part of history. I saw a poster from a native group that caused some thought it
said we were not discovered we were invaded and for the most part that is true.
Surely there can be is a place to recognize each others heritage. Nope too
polarized for that. How is it people point out each others differences these days
and try to limit their cultural gain then claim all are Americans or Canadians or.
Wait in Canada we have seen some of the same Harper says there are Canadians
and then there are Old Stock Canadians as it were. whatever that means
I don't see a problem in commemorating a day for this or that but it should be inclusive
not one in favor or at the expense of another

Cliffy
Quote: Originally Posted by damngrumpyView Post

Well it is of little concern here in Canada but I see things coming. Sports teams
some a hundred years old being pressured to change names. and a host of
other demands. Columbus did bring a number of adverse changes but that is
part of history. I saw a poster from a native group that caused some thought it
said we were not discovered we were invaded and for the most part that is true.
Surely there can be is a place to recognize each others heritage. Nope too
polarized for that. How is it people point out each others differences these days
and try to limit their cultural gain then claim all are Americans or Canadians or.
Wait in Canada we have seen some of the same Harper says there are Canadians
and then there are Old Stock Canadians as it were. whatever that means
I don't see a problem in commemorating a day for this or that but it should be inclusive
not one in favor or at the expense of another

It has always been about divide and conquer.

Ludlow
always?

Cliffy
+1

always?

Going back to at least the Greeks.

gopher
Interesting how there were fewer Columbus Day ads on tv/radio than usual and absolutely no Native American Day specials advertised anywhere.

I wonder how this will be handled next year ...

Jinentonix
Quote: Originally Posted by TecumsehsbonesView Post

That was well into the Iron Age.

Yep, brain fart on my part. I didn't even realize I'd said Bronze Age until I saw your post. Derp.

Because it's not human nature to do that.
Part of it is we're explorers at heart. Part of it is circumstance. Why didn't the ancient Siberians, Mongolians and Kamchatkans just stay where they were, instead of heading east across the Bering Strait? Or why didn't they go west? Or south?
Columbus OTOH was simply looking for a Westward sea route to India. Hence why the original inhabitants of the Americas got called "Indians".

Ludlow

Yep, brain fart on my part. I didn't even realize I'd said Bronze Age until I saw your post. Derp.

Because it's not human nature to do that.
Part of it is we're explorers at heart. Part of it is circumstance. Why didn't the ancient Siberians, Mongolians and Kamchatkans just stay where they were, instead of heading east across the Bering Strait? Or why didn't they go west? Or south?
Columbus OTOH was simply looking for a Westward sea route to India. Hence why the original inhabitants of the Americas got called "Indians".

wonder how things would have been if people would have stayed put.

EagleSmack
Quote: Originally Posted by B00MerView Post

The Indians were savages, even killing each other's tribes.. nomads at best.

LOLz

petros
Quote: Originally Posted by mentalflossView Post

This is just another sign of the upcoming FN terrorist uprising.

We need to deport them NOW

Idle Some More

Curious Cdn
+1
9 cities abolish Columbus Day in favor Indigenous Peoples’ Day

It's a Murican thang, anyways. We don't observe Columbus day, here. We give thanks for turkey, stuffing and fine white wines right around then, instead.

JLM
Quote: Originally Posted by Curious CdnView Post

9 cities abolish Columbus Day in favor Indigenous Peoplesí Day

It's a Murican thang, anyways. We don't observe Columbus day, here. We give thanks for turkey, stuffing and fine white wines right around then, instead.

I've heard it said Chris could be a bit of an A$$hole toward his crew!