2km-wide asteroid approaching Earth, NASA warns

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com

An asteroid big enough to kill millions of people is on its way to Earth but is expected to brush past, missing by a mere 25 million kilometers – a narrow distance by space standards, NASA said.

The celestial object, called Asteroid 86666 (2000 FL10), was first observed 16 years ago. On Saturday it will pass Earth, one of the biggest asteroids to approach our planet so closely.

The rock’s exact size is unknown, but it could be as wide as 2.6 kilometers, according to estimates. It will zip past at a speed of more than 64,000 kilometers an hour at a distance of about 25 million kilometers – about 67 times further than the moon.

The size of 2000 FL10 makes it large enough to be considered a potentially hazardous object (PHO). If it were to hit our planet, the effect would be devastating. The impact of such a PHO collision would potentially be similar to that of many thousands of atomic bombs blowing up at once.

Source: https://www.rt.com/news/318154-asteroid-not-collide-earth/

Hope their mathematicians are accurate in their calculations.. ;)

Jinentonix

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 6, 2015
Olympus Mons

An asteroid big enough to kill millions of people is on its way to Earth but is expected to brush past, missing by a mere 25 million kilometers – a narrow distance by space standards, NASA said.

The celestial object, called Asteroid 86666 (2000 FL10), was first observed 16 years ago. On Saturday it will pass Earth, one of the biggest asteroids to approach our planet so closely.

The rock’s exact size is unknown, but it could be as wide as 2.6 kilometers, according to estimates. It will zip past at a speed of more than 64,000 kilometers an hour at a distance of about 25 million kilometers – about 67 times further than the moon.

The size of 2000 FL10 makes it large enough to be considered a potentially hazardous object (PHO). If it were to hit our planet, the effect would be devastating. The impact of such a PHO collision would potentially be similar to that of many thousands of atomic bombs blowing up at once.

Meh, Apophis passed closer than that, actually passing between the moon and Earth. So I'd say the mathematicians have a little wiggle room.

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario

You're like sunshine on a cloudy day......always with the uplifting, motivational threads.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
Funny. I felt a breeze earlier. There wasn't supposed to be a breeze today.

I wonder if anyone else felt the breeze and actually ducked.
hahah The sky is falling!!

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
Interesting about the breeze... Actually, this morning when I was having a cup of coffee, I had an uneasy feeling about a coming Armageddon.

I passed it off as maybe having one too many scotches last night, but after reading this, well, I don't know if it was the booze anymore

eh1eh

Blah Blah Blah
Aug 31, 2006
Under a Lone Palm
Boomer is a good right wing sucker. Hey Boomer, I have a giant bank account I just got from some Prince in Nigeria. Give me your banking info and I'll transfer half to you. No catch, I'm just a nice guy.
I need a transfer fee of $265.38 to complete the transaction.
Don't worry, if it doesn't pan out you can shoot me.

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
Boomer is a good right wing sucker. Hey Boomer, I have a giant bank account I just got from some Prince in Nigeria. Give me your banking info and I'll transfer half to you. No catch, I'm just a nice guy.
I need a transfer fee of $265.38 to complete the transaction.
Don't worry, if it doesn't pan out you can shoot me.

Hey Troll, tell you're mother I forgot to leave money her dresser, catch her next time . ;)