US Border Patrol Agent Indicted for Murder After Using a Mexican Child for Target Pra

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
whoops!

Tucson, AZ — Lonnie Swartz may become the first US Border Patrol agent to be convicted of murder in a cross-border shooting.

A federal grand jury indicted Mr. Swartz for second-degree murder on Wednesday in the 2012 death of 16-year-old Mexican citizen Jose Antonio Elena Rodriguez.

The teenager was standing in Mexican territory, unarmed when the predatory agent shot him 10 times through the border fence. Rodriguez’s family said he was simply walking home from a basketball game.

The Border Patrol claims that their agent’s life was in danger, and Rodriguez was part of a group throwing rocks. Even if the teen picked up a rock, it is known that agents will open fire instead of simply moving out of the way, according to a report published in June.

Sean Chapman, Mr. Swartz’s attorney, said his client will plead not guilty at an Oct. 9 arraignment. He tried unsuccessfully to get the lawsuit thrown out based on the claim that the Mexican teenager has no Constitutional rights. A court has agreed with this stance in previous cases with similar circumstances.

Predictably, the Border Patrol Union criticized the indictment, suggesting their agents are the victims of “a world of political agendas and armchair quarterbacking.”

Arizona seems to have a penchant for Border Patrol agents murdering immigrants. Two other agents have been charged before, but one was acquitted and the other resulted in hung juries.

The Border Patrol has killed 10 people since 2010 in 40 cases of use of deadly force against alleged rock throwers.
Swartz’s indictment comes at a time of increased awareness of the Border Patrol’s excessive use of force. Even a Homeland Security Advisory Council report found that the agency has little care for life and is swamped with corruption.

“Lethargic investigations of internal abuses and a vulnerability to systematic corruption by drug smugglers and other criminals are the basis for the Council’s recommendation that U.S. Customs and Border Protection add approximately 350 criminal investigators to its current staff of 200 — a 175% increase — in order to help mitigate internal corruption and the use of unnecessary force against migrants.

The 29-page report, composed by the independent counsel that reports to Homeland Security Secretary Jeh Johnson, attacks the agency’s propensity to shoot unarmed or non-threatening individuals. It suggests that officials review their policies and prioritize the preservation of human life as hundreds of shootings by Border Patrol agents remain unaccounted for.”

The fact that Swartz shot Rodriguez 10 times, through a fence, does not lend credibility to the argument that he was trying to save his own life. It instead suggests that he used the Mexican teen for target practice in an act of inhumanity.

Swartz also faces a civil lawsuit filed by the American Civil Liberties Union by Elena Rodriguez, the boy’s mother. The outcome of the cases will tell us whether the government will take Border Patrol’s problem of corruption and excessive force seriously, or let it continue to spiral out of hand.

US Border Patrol Agent Indicted for Murder After Using a Mexican Child for Target Practice | Alternet

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
Should maybe stick the jerk in a army uniform and send him to Kunduz instead of in jail. It'd probably be cheaper.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Should maybe stick the jerk in a army uniform and send him to Kunduz instead of in jail. It'd probably be cheaper.
Um. . . no thanks. The Army actually isn't a bunch of undisciplined thugs and murderers.

They're a bunch of disciplined thugs and murderers.

Must keep up standards.

I almost feel sorry for Swartz. He vas chust follovink orders.

Jinentonix

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 6, 2015
Olympus Mons
Hmmm, maybe that "nutbar" suggestion to build a wall between the US and Canada isn't so nutty after all.

The sad thing is, US Border Services has a LONG history of hiring complete idiots, even on the northern border.

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
Can't relate to how a person can perceive someone as a target rather than a living breathing human being . ten times. unreal

I've suspected that it's their training and environment that does it. Law enforcement of any branch should have on site counselling and it should be compulsory. PTSD comes in many shades, many ways and it's something that must be rampant when you kill or witness killings.

There is clearly a very large disconnect between what we ask, what we expect and what is demanded of law enforcement.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Good grief... law enforcement and PTSD. Another reason to check out early with a pension.

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
Why doesn't it mean anything?

because in reality it does not apply or work for everybody.

Good grief... law enforcement and PTSD. Another reason to check out early with a pension.

They'd still suffer though. I think we put a huge emotional burden on them and with the military and expect them to just carry on like life was normal. We allow the gov't to treat them brutally from start to finish.

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
Juice boxes. That's the answer.

I'd suggest juice boxes served in a environment that encourages without punishment verbal expressions of a person emotional state and offers real advice, drugs if needed, and paid time off for those who need to spend time with their families.

If we're going to ask these people to put their lives and emotional health at risk for us, then they deserve to be treated to the very best of what works for that individual.

We seem to pay the wrong people the big bucks (movie stars, athletes, celebrities) and neglect those that we ask to protect us.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
They'd still suffer though. I think we put a huge emotional burden on them and with the military and expect them to just carry on like life was normal. We allow the gov't to treat them brutally from start to finish.

They would suffer? For the most part they would laugh their way to the bank. Give them that option and see what happens.

Our police in Massachusetts make HUGE money. Many over 6 figures and I am not talking about the Chief. Every year they release the payroll in my town. HUGE cash. The bigger the city the bigger the check.

Who do we treat brutally? The military and cops?

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
They would suffer? For the most part they would laugh their way to the bank. Give them that option and see what happens.

Our police in Massachusetts make HUGE money. Many over 6 figures and I am not talking about the Chief. Every year they release the payroll in my town. HUGE cash. The bigger the city the bigger the check.

Who do we treat brutally? The military and cops?

Wow, way to go Massechusetts! Your (USA) most dangerous city, Detroit, doesn't pay very well at all. By suffering I mean PTSD, anxiety, and the effects that long term stress has on the body.

I make more and the only dangerous thing for me is the possibility of an angry nerd/geek staring at me angrily.

Our RCMP are not paid that well at all. Police, non rcmp are paid slightly better.

The military is treated brutally. At least here in Canada and considering the service they provide.

I just feel that if you risk your life on a daily basis you deserve to live well and be emotionally and physically taken care of.