Residents near Pickering nuclear plant to receive anti-radiation pills by mail

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
Soon to be the new normal?

Residents living near the nuclear power plant in Pickering, Ont., will soon start receiving anti-radiation pills in the mail to protect them in the event of a radiation leak at the facility.

Starting in October, anyone living within a 10-kilometre radius of the Pickering Nuclear Plant will receive a pack of potassium iodide (KI) pills that help prevent thyroid cancer caused by exposure to radioactivity.

“It fills up your thyroid with iodine and therefore, if you ever get exposed to radioactive iodine, it can’t get into your thyroid and it prevents thyroid cancer,” said Ken Gorman, Durham region’s director of environmental health.

More than 200,000 homes and businesses near the plant will receive kits containing the pills and a brochure explaining how to administer the treatment. Each package contains enough pills for one family.

Until now, potassium iodide pills have been available at local pharmacies to anyone who wanted to stock up. But in October 2014, the Canadian Nuclear Safety Commission ordered that the pill be distributed to all Canadians living or working within 10 kilometres of a nuclear facility.

In the event of a leak at a nuclear plant, residents are asked to evacuate the area as quickly as possible. If this isn’t possible, the provincial emergency authority recommends that people stay indoors and wait for instruction from authorities.

Residents near Pickering nuclear plant to receive anti-radiation pills by mail | CTV Toronto News

Danbones

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 23, 2015
I understand "they" want to bury a huge pile of radio-active crap in a giant pie hole just beside the shore of lake Huron near the Bruce just upstream from the water intakes of half of Canada.
I think the radiation pills the brass have been snorting might be from a bottle be labeled "Glue"

Danbones

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 23, 2015
I take ginger every day, for many reasons including the fact that it will counteract the serotonin withdrawl schizts that happen when radiation destroys all the gut fauna and flora in the GI tract that produce the nuerotransmitters that keep a body sane.
I lost a few fistfulls of hair in the scrap biz over the years...

As you can see, it sort of works
lol

just in case that are you hi was directed at me:
"ONTARIO NUCLEAR PLANT
Ohio, Mich. riled over plan to bury radioactive waste
Critics fear dump may contaminate lakes"

http://www.toledoblade.com/Energy/2...iled-over-plan-to-bury-radioactive-waste.html

Danbones

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 23, 2015
Ginger and cayenne in one shot four times a day...
and a disability check every month

thank god im not living on the fukushima shore line

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003

fukashima shore is so fukked. you gotta wonder about the name and all now...

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit

and a daily dose of iodine.

Why? There is no shortage of kelp super rich in iodide just offshore or more commonly wrapped around sushi.

Danbones

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 23, 2015
http://www.yourgrocerystore.ca/shopping/851-large/sifto-windsor-iodized-table-salt-1-kg.jpg.

Why? There is no shortage of kelp super rich in iodide just offshore or more commonly wrapped around sushi.
not heard of fukushima?
the cure should NOT contain the disease

and let me tell you:
till you have actually been there
you don't get a teeshirt
Iodine does NOTHING for many of the symptoms
its a feel good solution that didn't save any one at Chernoble

"While the effective doses of most of the residents of the contaminated areas are low, for many people, doses to the thyroid gland were large from ingestion of milk contaminated with radioactive iodine. Individual thyroid doses ranged from a few tens of mGy to several tens of Gy.

Apart from the people exposed to high levels of radioactive iodine mentioned above, "
http://www.who.int/ionizing_radiation/chernobyl/backgrounder/en/

Hey man, radioactive iodine? don't be making things worse..
please

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
Soon to be the new normal?

Residents living near the nuclear power plant in Pickering, Ont., will soon start receiving anti-radiation pills in the mail to protect them in the event of a radiation leak at the facility.

Starting in October, anyone living within a 10-kilometre radius of the Pickering Nuclear Plant will receive a pack of potassium iodide (KI) pills that help prevent thyroid cancer caused by exposure to radioactivity.

“It fills up your thyroid with iodine and therefore, if you ever get exposed to radioactive iodine, it can’t get into your thyroid and it prevents thyroid cancer,” said Ken Gorman, Durham region’s director of environmental health.

More than 200,000 homes and businesses near the plant will receive kits containing the pills and a brochure explaining how to administer the treatment. Each package contains enough pills for one family.

Until now, potassium iodide pills have been available at local pharmacies to anyone who wanted to stock up. But in October 2014, the Canadian Nuclear Safety Commission ordered that the pill be distributed to all Canadians living or working within 10 kilometres of a nuclear facility.

In the event of a leak at a nuclear plant, residents are asked to evacuate the area as quickly as possible. If this isn’t possible, the provincial emergency authority recommends that people stay indoors and wait for instruction from authorities.

Residents near Pickering nuclear plant to receive anti-radiation pills by mail | CTV Toronto News
We have no worries over here. we eat enough Nori, Dulce, Wakame, etc. I put it in soups, stews, on the side as garnishes, etc. We don't just NOT glow in the dark, we sponge light waves. :D

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
The iodine pill is a mega dose of iodine that saturates the thyroid, so that it has no capacity left to take up anymore, such as a radioactive isotope of iodine.

It's way more iodine than what you will get from table salt or Irish Moss.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
WTH is a "megadose"? Safe maximum is about 1,100 mcg per day according to the US National Library of medicine. Husband and I probably intake about 150 mcg per day.

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
WTH is a "megadose"? Safe maximum is about 1,100 mcg per day according to the US National Library of medicine. Husband and I probably intake about 150 mcg per day.
I don't know the dose but it is pretty high or it wouldn't work. Any adverse side effects beat the hell out of a cancer from radiation exposure.