Muslim teen Ahmed arrested for bringing homemade clock to school

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
There appears to be a lot of fear in Texas.

'Looks like a bomb'

A 14-year-old Muslim boy who loves to invent things was handcuffed and arrested after bringing a homemade clock to his Texas high school. The arrest prompted speculations of Islamophobia, but police say they won't charge him with creating a "hoax bomb."
Ahmed Mohamed, a ninth grader from Irving, Texas, was eager to impress his teachers with his newest creation – a clock which he invented in just 20 minutes, consisting of a circuit board and a power supply wired to a digital display. The clock and its wirings were all strapped inside a case.

But when he showed his engineering teacher the clock, he didn't receive the response he was hoping for.

“He was like, ‘That’s really nice,’” Ahmed said, as quoted by the Dallas Morning News. “‘I would advise you not to show any other teachers.’”

Ahmed took his advice, keeping the invention in his bag for the rest of the day. But when the clock's alarm went off during English class, the teacher complained.

When the 14-year-old showed his teacher the source of the beeping, she said: “It looks like a bomb.” Ahmed responded by saying it didn't look like a bomb to him.

The rest plus pictures:
https://www.rt.com/usa/315528-muslim-student-clock-bomb/

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
I hope you don't mind me adding this post to your thread.

Harmless dynamite clock sparks airport kerfuffle
By Maryam Shah, Toronto Sun
First posted: Sunday, September 06, 2015 05:03 PM EDT | Updated: Sunday, September 06, 2015 06:21 PM EDT
A teenager headed to Vancouver learned the hard way that it’s a bad idea to travel with an alarm clock made to look like a bomb.
Security at Toronto Pearson airport spotted the clock — shaped like a bundle of dynamite sticks — and evacuated a screening area for two hours, summoning the police just before 5 p.m., according to Peel Regional Police.
A 15-year-old Toronto boy had packed the eyebrow-raising item into his carry-on luggage for a flight to Vancouver Saturday afternoon.
“The explosive disposal unit attended and they deemed the item was not real,” Const. George Tudos said Sunday. “However, it still caused a two-hour delay at the airport and he was charged with mischief.”
Police are trained to treat things like the clock as “real” until they have completed their investigation.
“I guess it was bad judgement on behalf of that party to think it would be okay to travel to an international airport with that device,” Tudos said.
It’s not very common, he added.
“People come through with items they forgot, like a bullet,” Tudos explained. “That happens once in a while, but this is a different kind of device.”
The teen is scheduled to appear in court in October.
maryam.shah@sunmedia.ca
A 15-year-old boy tried to carry a clock which looks like a bomb on to a Vancouver-bound plane at Pearson airport. While the pictured item is not the exact device, Peel police tweeted the image to provide an example of what it looked like. (PEEL REGIONAL POLICE)

Harmless dynamite clock sparks airport kerfuffle | Toronto & GTA | News | Toront

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
With regards to the teen in Twila's post, I have this to say. While it may not really be fair, and it could be considered racial profiling, I don't think they did anything wrong in the end. It is better to err on the side of caution nowadays. Heck, you've got that Al-Quida buffoon telling terrorists and terrorist wannabes to commit lone wolf attacks in the US and the West. I would rather have to apologize to him and his family than have to apologize to the families of the victims that there could have been had this really been a bomb and they didn't do anything about it.

With regards to the teen in spammy's post. He was just an idiot. What did he think would happen if he tried to bring that into an airport? Whether it was a prank, or just a huge brain-fart, he should have known better.

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
With regards to the teen in Twila's post, I have this to say. While it may not really be fair, and it could be considered racial profiling, I don't think they did anything wrong in the end. It is better to err on the side of caution nowadays. Heck, you've got that Al-Quida buffoon telling terrorists and terrorist wannabes to commit lone wolf attacks in the US and the West. I would rather have to apologize to him and his family than have to apologize to the families of the victims that there could have been had this really been a bomb and they didn't do anything about it.

I could see the profiling if this occurred somewhere where muslim extremists had been operating openly. I could even see it if this child had extremist tendencies.

My thought now is that this child is being pushed towards an identity that we don't want. If you call a child stupid enough, they will be stupid. If this child is going to be treated like an extremist while doing nothing wrong then...

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON

But he had to serve a 3 day suspension because the people who work at that school and that police force are dumber than a 5th grader and can't properly identify a clock.

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
But he had to serve a 3 day suspension because the people who work at that school and that police force are dumber than a 5th grader and can't properly identify a clock.

AND if he'd been going to make a bomb he'd not have shown it off. It would have simply blown up. Pretty sure if he was from an extremist family and they'd sent him in, they'd have instructed him to NOT say anything, just blow em up.

That poor kid. What a horrible lessen to have to learn at such a vulnerable age.

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
AND if he'd been going to make a bomb he'd not have shown it off. It would have simply blown up. Pretty sure if he was from an extremist family and they'd sent him in, they'd have instructed him to NOT say anything, just blow em up.

That poor kid. What a horrible lessen to have to learn at such a vulnerable age.

I got a thumbs down for this post. HILARIOUS!

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA

LMAO... Seriously? He's going to the White House and will most certainly get a check for his "pain and suffering".

Note: I didn't give Twila the thumbs down.

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
LMAO... Seriously? He's going to the White House and will most certainly get a check for his "pain and suffering".

Note: I didn't give Twila the thumbs down.

yeah, I just read that. I was just worried he was going to fall through the cracks and become a problem. Just so you're aware there are going to be times where you are more uptodate then I am. Jumping on your high horse and LMAO'ing around over it seems a bit...silly.

I've also read that he's been invited to MIT and has a huge new future opening up to him!

Note: Eagle has NEVER given me a thumbs down.

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
I will refrain from laughing my azz off. :)

Please do, you're going to need it to sit down and finish typing. Plus men look better with their azz's on. seriously. If you like, you could send me a picture of your behind and...j/k sort of.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
yeah, I just read that. I was just worried he was going to fall through the cracks and become a problem. Just so you're aware there are going to be times where you are more uptodate then I am. Jumping on your high horse and LMAO'ing around over it seems a bit...silly.

I've also read that he's been invited to MIT and has a huge new future opening up to him!

Note: Eagle has NEVER given me a thumbs down.
MIT, Facebook, Pebble, the White House.

He's been offered summer internships at several engineering companies.

He received a scholarship to Space Camp.

An astronaut sent him a space-worn NASA T-shirt.

Meanwhile, back in Texas. . .

Not terrorists

Not terrorists

Not terrorists

Terrorist

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Another terrorist. . .

And another

Another terrorist!

These terrorists are SCARY! We need a picture of a nice Real American non-terrorist. . .

MUCH better! Now we can feel safe.

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
One photo is good sarcasm...
A dozen is somewhat overdone and simply childish or as Cannuck would say .........."Silly"

A middle aged, Injun lawyer????
I don't believe it....:roll:

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Oh dear.... T-Bones is hurt again.

One photo is good sarcasm...
A dozen is somewhat overdone and simply childish or as Cannuck would say .........."Silly"

It is another tantrum. Insinuating that kids being photographed with firearms are terrorist. Sad.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA

How do you figure it was a whoosh? I completely understand what you were doing.

Pics of the white kids with guns... not terrorists. Pic of the muslim boy with the clock in the brief case... terrorist.

Now we all know the muslim kid is not a terrorist and school officials were caught off guard with the device in a brief case that happened to be a clock.

Nevertheless you had your tantrum... per usual.

I got one too. Not Eagle. I have only got one from him. I said something nasty about Tom Brady I believe.

Oh yeah. I always give a reddie when someone gives one to me first.