Atheist Mom Forced Into Court-Ordered Christian Counseling

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
In a flagrant church-state violation a New Mexico mom loses her children after refusing to attend court mandated Christian counseling sessions.

KRQE reports Holly Salzman was hoping to get some help co-parenting her 11-year-old twin boys with her ex-husband, but instead she says she got 10 court-ordered religious sessions that she did not want.

Salzman said:
I walked into the session and the very first thing she said to me was, ‘I start my sessions by praying.’ When I expressed my concerns that I didn’t pray she said, ‘well this is what I do’ and she proceeded to say a prayer out loud.

Salzman, a single mother of two, said she felt so “offended and disgusted” that she stopped going to the court-ordered sessions. The result was that the court took her kids away. Salzman reports:
It’s probably the worst thing I’ve ever been through in my life.
In order to regain custody of her children, Salzman was forced to complete the faith based counseling despite her objections, and despite the fact that she is not religious, and does not believe in God.

KRQE reports that in every counseling session there were handouts with quotes from Psalms and other religious sources, and religious based homework such as one activity titled “Who is God to me?”

In a series of undercover videos the court mandated Christian counselor repeatedly forced the issue of God and Christianity into the counseling sessions, despite the fact that her client had no interest, and found the discussion of religion in the context of the counseling sessions offensive.

In one secretly recorded session the counselor told Salzman:
The meaning in my life is to know love and serve God. If you want to explore how God was in your past, how God was in your life and not in your life… I know you don’t believe in God which is fine but I know at some points he was in your life in some way.
It is hard to imagine something more obnoxious, or more infuriating, than being forced to endure some holier-than-thou Christian counselor explaining that God really was in your life, despite the fact that you don’t believe in God.

And it is heartbreaking to note that if a mother does not quietly endure the abuse of the obnoxious Christian counselor, her children will be taken from her by the courts.
Commenting on the story, Peter Simonson, ACLU Executive Director, said:
No one should be put in a position where they are forced to accept training or therapy that violates their own religious beliefs and morals.

We’ve got protections in our country under the Bill of Rights are intended to try and stop that. On the face of it, it looks pretty problematic.
“Problematic” is an understatement. This is despicable, and a clear violation of Salzman’s civil and constitutional rights.

To be clear, there is nothing wrong with being a Christian counselor, but as a Christian counselor, one must be honest and upfront with one’s clients about one’s biases. In addition, clients must be free to refuse Christian based counseling if they are not Christian. Otherwise, the counselor is being unethical, and unprofessional.
Clearly it is wrong for a court to mandate Christian counseling, and it is wrong and unethical for a licensed counselor to force religion on a court-mandated client who is not interested in religion.
As for the Christian counselor, identified as Mary Pepper, according to reports her proselytizing to court mandated clients is not her only unethical activity. Pepper does her court-mandated counseling surreptitiously at the public library to avoid overhead, and in so doing illegally forces her local government to subsidize her business expenses. Plus, she demands cash payments from her court mandated clients, presumably to thwart the IRS.

As for Pepper’s background, she is a Catholic extremist who used to be a “parent educator” at Project Defending Life, a radical anti-abortion group.

The good news is that Salzman completed the counseling sessions, and she has her kids back again. Let’s hope she gets a good lawyer and sues everybody responsible for this despicable debacle.

- See more at: Atheist Mom Forced Into Court-Ordered Christian Counseling

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Oh, but atheists are persecuting Christians. At least that what they would like everybody to believe. Her story is my definition of hell, and I am not an atheist.
On the other side of the coin: that story seems to have given Wally a woody.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Holly Salzman went to a New Mexico District court for help co-parenting her children with her ex-husband. The court ordered Salzman to attend 10 counselling classes for parents.

sniff... sniff... that smells funny.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
I don't suppose that a relative of her ex was who gave the court order?

Smelly? It reeks.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Hmmmm... just thinking out loud here....

If I want counseling.... do I simply walk into a US District Court and ask? Probably not... but ok....

If I did ask and somehow found a judge that would listen and not have me thrown out of the building.... would they order me to take counseling sessions and if I didn't they'd take my kids... doubtful.

Something smells... wrong... kwim?

Anyways.... Hate on ya'll.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
It's awesome Christians are funding counseling for those who can't afford it otherwise.
So you defend government agents forcing religious issues on non-religious people? YAY! Back to the Inquisitions we go!
I think religious interference in gov't issues is one of the reasons the US was born.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
So you defend government agents forcing religious issues on non-religious people? YAY! Back to the Inquisitions we go!
I think religious interference in gov't issues is one of the reasons the US was born.

I am sure the issue will be resolved to the woman 's favor without any burning of Jooos. She may even make a pretty penny on this but embellish as you see fit!

Hate on ya'll!

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit

Yup. Who else is providing free counseling? Atheists?

Your thinking is way off.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Oh but wait...

Pepper said she doesn’t believe her program has religious overtones. She said Salzman was interested in religion early in their meetings and that’s why she brought it up.

...Ding!

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
Yeah, fortunately it's off YOUR track, Petros. A ridiculous religion isn't the answer to everyone's problem.

I think what the lady had in mind was to get information from a gov't source about where to get help for raising her kids. I know if you go into a provincial building in BC, you can find reams of paper containing information and lots of gov't reps telling you what to do.
It seems like this lady just asked the wrong gov't rep for that sort of help and things snowballed.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
In a flagrant church-state violation a New Mexico mom loses her children after refusing to attend court mandated Christian counseling sessions.
Any clue what separation of church and state means?

Yeah, fortunately it's off YOUR track, Petros. A ridiculous religion isn't the answer to everyone's problem.

I think what the lady had in mind was to get information from a gov't source about where to get help for raising her kids. I know if you go into a provincial building in BC, you can find reams of paper containing information and lots of gov't reps telling you what to do.
It seems like this lady just asked the wrong gov't rep for that sort of help and things snowballed.

Why couldn't she go to another counselor? Spends her money on fentanyl?

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
No doubt the counselors word will not be taken as truth. The mom that JUST BY CHANCE HAPPENED to be in court and got her kids taken (which I presume means they stayed with the father... EEE-GADS!) will be taken as... Gospel. *snicker*

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA

And a judge happened to be there and ordered her into counseling or else? Come Anna.... really?

Yes you can go into a govt. building and find reams of paper. You get it and go. You don't happen to find yourself in front of the bench.