Are we well informed or misinformed?

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC

“I think we risk becoming the best informed society that has ever died of ignorance....” - Reuben Blades

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.

“I think we risk becoming the best informed society that has ever died of ignorance....” - Reuben Blades

I'm being a real pr!ck tonight, Cliffy. Virtually every Canadian has access to a free library, where they can use a free computer or read a free book to find out anything they desire. Most of the media that feed us undesirable news has an "off" switch on it. :)

Jinentonix

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 6, 2015
Olympus Mons
Actually, in Cliffy's case he got this one right, although probably by accident. There was a survey that various news orgs did, asking on-line news readers what kind of stories they wanted most to read/hear about. Of course the responses were stuff like world events, the economy, and a few other things on the left of the list that Cliffy posted. It turns out the news sites use tracking software to see what you read on their sites, and what do people tend to primarily read? The crap on the right of that list that Cliffy posted.
That's why we get the news we do, because the masses want pablum, preferably spoon fed to them.

skookumchuck

Council Member
Jan 19, 2012
Van Isle
Actually, in Cliffy's case he got this one right, although probably by accident. There was a survey that various news orgs did, asking on-line news readers what kind of stories they wanted most to read/hear about. Of course the responses were stuff like world events, the economy, and a few other things on the left of the list that Cliffy posted. It turns out the news sites use tracking software to see what you read on their sites, and what do people tend to primarily read? The crap on the right of that list that Cliffy posted.
That's why we get the news we do, because the masses want pablum, preferably spoon fed to them.

What software do you have that prevents and shows you most of this tailgaiting? Hint.........Firefox plus addons. Duck Duck Go for your search engine. Just get used to temp allowing many news media and sales sources.

This page has only one tracker "facebook connect"

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
I want to know about the radical changes that happened this summer.

But Cliffy has a little more time to come up with them.

skookumchuck

Council Member
Jan 19, 2012
Van Isle
I want to know about the radical changes that happened this summer.

But Cliffy has a little more time to come up with them.

He has been listening to the corrupt idiots from my people, they are as stupid and greedy as anyone else, not a bit knowledgeable. Don't expect much.

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003

society is willfully misinformed. It's sometimes too much for the average person to be aware of all the destruction, chaos, and mayhem that man is performing. If the average person knew and understood all of it, they'd either commit suicide or be immobilized by fear.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
society is willfully misinformed. It's sometimes too much for the average person to be aware of all the destruction, chaos, and mayhem that man is performing. If the average person knew and understood all of it, they'd either commit suicide or be immobilized by fear.

Where? Where can I learn the real honest to goodness truth?

Do you have a lot of "Cliffys" hanging around your people?

Dollar store dream catchers are all the rage after the twilight series.

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
Where? Where can I learn the real honest to goodness truth?

Depends, are you looking for the truths you want? Or are you willing to reading multiple sources using critical thinking?

Most people listen or read with the intent to reply. Not to learn.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
Geeez It's easy, as Marshall McLuhan said, "Celebrity is news. Everything else is entertainment."
and
"All media exist to invest our lives with artificial perceptions and arbitrary values."

Don't mind Petros, Twila. He just seems to like insulting anyone that doesn't think "properly" ("properly" meaning "like he does").

coldstream

on dbl secret probation
Oct 19, 2005
Chillliwack, BC
When the public public discourse on an issue reaches the level of a scream.. resorting to fear mongering, discarding all recourse to reason or real sicence.. then you know you are dealing with a fraud.. at the behest of some undeclared political or philosophical agenda... like.. uh.. AGW. And you should be very worried about agendas that dare not expose themselves in public.

Last edited: