Ontario high school teacher fired after 10-week investigation into series of anti-Isl

Fired

• Total voters

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Ontario high school teacher fired after 10-week investigation into series of anti-Islam tweets | National Post

TORONTO — A Richmond Hill, Ont., high school teacher connected to a series of anti-Islam tweets and a blog post discussing his desire to impose atheism on students was fired after a 10-week York Region District School Board investigation.
Richmond Green Secondary School English teacher Michael Marshall was dismissed following a board meeting Tuesday, YRDSB spokesperson Licinio Miguelo said in an emailed statement. Miguelo said the school board would not provide further comment on the matter.

Marshall could also not be reached by the National Post for comment.

A now-deleted Twitter account, @firstatheist, featuring a profile picture which students said appeared to be of Marshall, frequently tweeted in objection of hijabs, prayer and sharia law.

One of the tweets mentioned a specific student by name and said: “I get sad when girls I teach decide to wear a hijab. I feel like a failure.”

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Ordinarily I do not agree with automatically firing someone for what they do on their own time, I think it's heavy handed for the most part. Even racist, homophobic, whatever, whatever, azzholes need to earn a living too. While I don't particularly like what they have to say, or what they believe, they have a right to say it or believe it, in most cases anyway, at least until they absolutely cross a line.

This guy did and one thing in particular caught my eye in the article.

One of the tweets mentioned a specific student by name
He's done. Certain job positions have to adhere to a level of trust, teacher is definitely one of them. If this guy is Joe the Plumber or Grocery Checkout Guy, nobody cares. But he's entrusted with minors, with their education, basic care and their information.

And, whether it's right or it's wrong to fire people for what they say on social media, can we just maybe have a special Darwin Group for these freaking morons who continue to do so when so many freaking people have already been fired for it?!? I mean, obviously these guys are on social media so I'm sure they're aware.....but they do it anyway. Idiots!

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
I said no since I do not believe this should be the first course of discipline.

Racist behaviors, are grounds for immediate dismissal.
This fellow is not going to change.
Same with Keegstra and that teacher fired in NB.

Well known punishment -repercussions for this type of behavior.

Teacher loses licence for off-duty racist conduct | Canadian HR Reporter

A former Ontario teacher involved in racist organizations has been found guilty of professional misconduct and stripped of his teacher’s licence.

In its Oct. 31 decision to revoke Paul Fromm’s licence on the basis of conduct outside the classroom, the Ontario College of Teachers cited a 1996 Supreme Court of Canada ruling in which New Brunswick teacher Malcolm Ross was fired for making public racist comments against Jewish people while off-duty.

“The Supreme Court basically said that, as a teacher, your off-duty conduct can impact on your role as a teacher if what you’re doing is engaging in behaviour that could create a poisoned environment within the school system,” said Brian Kenny, a lawyer with MacPherson Leslie and Tyerman in Regina

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malcolm_Ross_(school_teacher)

In 1991, a local Jewish parent, David Attis, filed a human rights complaint against Ross's employers, New Brunswick School District 15, on the grounds that Ross's continued employment created a poisoned environment for Jewish students (including Attis's daughter, who, although not a student at Magnetic Hill School where Ross taught, had been intimidated out of attending interscholastic activities at Magnetic Hill).[citation needed]

After a lengthy hearing, during which Ross was represented by Doug Christie, the human rights commission ordered the District to remove Ross from the classroom, and to terminate his employment unless Ross's school could find a non-teaching position for him (and in fact, he was made the school librarian). In addition, the District warned Ross that, if he continued to publish or distribute antisemitic literature, his non-teaching position would be terminated as well. Attis was not awarded any damages.