Elizabeth II thanks well-wishers as she's about to become longest-reigning monarch

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
The Queen has thanked well-wishers at home and overseas for their "touching messages of kindness" as she becomes Britain's longest-reigning monarch.

Speaking in the Scottish Borders, the 89-year-old monarch said the title was "not one to which I have ever aspired".

The Queen will have reigned for 63 years and seven months - calculated at 23,226 days, 16 hours and approximately 30 minutes at about 17:30 BST - just two hours from now.

David Cameron said the service she had given was "truly humbling".

Dressed in turquoise with her trusty black handbag at her side, the Queen spoke briefly to the gathered crowds on the day she passes the record set by her great-great-grandmother Queen Victoria.

The Queen and Prince Philip travelled by steam train from Edinburgh to Tweedbank, where she formally opened the new £294m Scottish Borders Railway.

Queen Elizabeth II becomes longest-reigning UK monarch - BBC News

Last edited by a moderator:

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004

At work: Newly released official photographs show the Queen with her official red box, containing the day's policy papers, cabinet documents, Foreign Office papers and other letters which she has looked at every day of her reign

billshaver

Electoral Member
Sep 7, 2015
remember her at EXPO 67 in Montreal, again in 76 at Opening of Olympics, at Cornwall Ontario, in 1990 i belive it was a ceremony honering ancestors of UEL'S...This is abright spot in the day when all around is gloom.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Here were are. It's 17:32 and now, officially, Elizabeth II is Britain and Canada's longest-reigning monarch.

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
Blackleaf: I sent you a polite pm about these excessively long posts as well as a thread about the same. I'll see you in a week maybe.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Blackleaf is enjoying the Queen's Jubilee this week and will not be available...

...please leave a message.