Ebola crisis: Confusion as patients vanish in Liberia

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
Haven't heard about ebola in awhile.

An angry mob attacked the centre in Monrovia's densely populated West Point township on Saturday evening.
A senior health official said all of the patients had been moved to another medical facility.
But a reporter told the BBC that 17 had escaped while 10 others were taken away by their families.

More than 400 people are known to have died from the virus in Liberia, out of a total of 1,145 deaths recorded in West Africa by the World Health Organization this year.

People watch police depart after driving out an Ebola burial team who had come to collect the bodies of four people who had died overnight in the West Point slum on August 16

Police fired warning shots but failed to disperse several hundred people around the Ebola centre
Assistant Health Minister Tolbert Nyenswah said protesters had been unhappy that patients were being brought in from other parts of the capital.

Other reports suggested the protesters had believed Ebola was a hoax and wanted to force the quarantine centre to close.
The attack at the Monrovia centre is seen as a major setback in the struggle to halt the outbreak, says the BBC's Will Ross, reporting from Lagos.

Health experts say that the key to ending the Ebola outbreak is to stop it spreading in Liberia, where ignorance about the virus is high and many people are reluctant to cooperate with medical staff.

'All gone'Mr Nyenswah said after the attack that 29 patients at the centre were being relocated and readmitted to an Ebola treatment centre located in the facility of the country's John F Kennedy Memorial Medical Center.

However, Jina Moore, a journalist for Buzzfeed who is in Monrovia, told the BBC that 10 people had been freed by their relatives on Friday night and 17 had escaped during the looting the next day.
Rebecca Wesseh, who witnessed the attack, told the AFP news agency: "They broke down the door and looted the place. The patients have all gone."

A crowd enters the grounds of an Ebola isolation center in the West Point slum on August 16
The crowd were reportedly angry that an Ebola isolation centre had been set up in their neighbourhood
A Liberian burial team wearing protective clothing retrieves the body of a 60-year-old Ebola victim from his home on August 17, 2014 near Monrovia, Liberia.

Health workers wear protective clothing when handling the bodies of Ebola victims
The attackers, mostly young men armed with clubs, shouted insults about President Ellen Johnson Sirleaf and yelled "there's no Ebola", she said, adding that nurses had also fled the centre.

The head of the Health Workers Association of Liberia, George Williams, said the unit had housed 29 patients who "had all tested positive for Ebola" and were receiving preliminary treatment.
Confirming that 17 had escaped, he said that only three had been taken by their relatives, the other nine having died four days earlier.

However, Mr Nyenswah said it was not confirmed that the patients had Ebola.
Fallah Boima's son was admitted to the ward four days ago, and seemed to be doing well, but when the distraught father arrived for his daily visit on Sunday his son was nowhere to be seen, AFP adds.

"I don't know where he is and I am very confused," he said. "He has not called me since he left the camp. Now that the nurses have all left, how will I know where my son is?"

Ebola is spread by contact with an infected person's bodily fluids, such as sweat and blood, and no cure or vaccine is currently available.
Blood-stained mattresses, bedding and medical equipment were taken from the centre, a senior police officer told BBC News, on condition of anonymity.

the rest
Ebola crisis: Confusion as patients vanish in Liberia - BBC News

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
flossie will be along shortly to remind you that there is in fact no ebola crisis, and no need to worry about anything ebola-related see.

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
flossie will be along shortly to remind you that there is in fact no ebola crisis, and no need to worry about anything ebola-related see.

Maybe he can tell the people running the treatment centre that was looted. They could use some good news.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
I suspect that the people who looted the Ebola centre may have a rude awakening as they likely now have Ebola. Same with people who freed the victims.

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
I suspect that the people who looted the Ebola centre may have a rude awakening as they likely now have Ebola. Same with people who freed the victims.

but now they'll have proof that ebola exists! As will their family and friends and neighbours, etc.

The next facility treatment centre should have windows everywhere so people can see.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
but now they'll have proof that ebola exists! As will their family and friends and neighbours, etc.

The next facility treatment centre should have windows everywhere so people can see.

I am thinking a Trump wall around the country itself. Keep them all sealed in there and they can enjoy it first hand without endangering others.

It does make me think about the vaccine scaremongers who are also living in similar ignorance. Only difference is that Liberia is a poor poor nation with limited education opportunities. The vaccine people should know better.