Smart Meters and the Stupid, Lying, Cheating Utilities that Own Them

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
B.C. man get $4,582 electricity bill months after home burned to ground

Andy Johnson, CTVNews.ca Staff
Published Friday, July 24, 2015 9:39PM EDT

A B.C. man received an electricity bill last week worth thousands of dollars but there was just one problem -- his home had burned to the ground.
The home was destroyed in January and the bill was for a period well after it was destroyed.
Gary Fong said the bill for a whopping $4,582 was a shock that added to the devastation he and his family were already feeling in the wake of the disaster.

“It says that we used 25,000-plus kilowatt hours,” Fong told CTV B.C. “People don’t spend (thousands) a month on electricity for a building that’s not there.”
The bill from electricity company FortisBC covered a window from May 19 to July 17 -- a period ending nearly six months after Fong's 5,000-square-foot log home was lost.
Fong challenged the electricity company, but was given no relief.
"And they said, ‘Actually the meter's fine, in fact we just installed a new smart metre, so we stand by our billing,’" Fong said.
Eventually, the company acknowledged the bills were based on estimates from previous years' usages. In fact, the company had reverted to that method because it couldn't get a reading from the new smart reader that had been installed -- not surprising, since it was burned along with Fong's home.
FortisBC has apologized for the mix-up, and acknowledged that Fong had even alerted the company to the fact his house had burned before the bill was sent out.
“No customer should have to go through what Mr. Fong went through,” said spokesperson Michael Allison. “We do regret the miscommunication that took place, and we want to do what we can to make it right.”
Fong will be given a credit for any power he didn't actually use, the company said.
For his part, Fong said he hopes Fortis learns from the mistake so other families don't have to face a similar situation.
“We can afford to pay this and dispute it later, but what if we couldn’t?” Fong said.

B.C. man get $4,582 electricity bill months after home burned to ground | CTV News

FortisBC has apologized for the mix-up, and acknowledged that Fong had even alerted the company to the fact his house had burned before the bill was sent out.
Um, this isn't a mixup.....

Fong challenged the electricity company, but was given no relief.
"And they said, ‘Actually the meter's fine, in fact we just installed a new smart metre, so we stand by our billing,’" Fong said.
...this is an outright lie.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
Note, fortis is not a crown corporation. Nor has it ever been a crown Corp.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
Didn't you know the power companies only trying to have us all save power
If you believe that I have a bridge across the lake for you to buy a great deal
All these power companies and Greens and save the planet from itself folks
are about THE MONEY Money from donations, money from taxes Money from
selling all new stuff for your house yes the money.
Now the meters are so they can gouge you by the hour while you are sucked
into the we are saving the planet nonsense.

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
Dunno about you....but I'm saving money with the smart meter.....

Now if the gas company and the water meter was read wireless....there's one side of the house I wouldn't have to shovel all winter

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Dunno about you....but I'm saving money with the smart meter.....

Now if the gas company and the water meter was read wireless....there's one side of the house I wouldn't have to shovel all winter

To be honest my own personal experience has not been bad. But when I read through the countless cases brought before the Ombudsmen here in Ontario.....these are not one-offs, there is something to all this.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
Our power bill went down with the new smart meter. I suspect that some of the old analog meters were so far out of whack that many people really had no clue how much power they use. There are also bound to be the odd smart meter that doesn't work properly.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Our power bill went down with the new smart meter. I suspect that some of the old analog meters were so far out of whack that many people really had no clue how much power they use. There are also bound to be the odd smart meter that doesn't work properly.

Including phantom ones that charge for power 6 months after the house has burned down? Lol.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
I've never heard of a fire started by an analogue meter. You'd have to admit: There's something dishonest about meters you can adjust by long distance - but then again, no smart meter has ever been subject to upside-down placement or magnets to stall them. I want to know why fire investigators would allow meters to be removed from a fire (crime?) scene