Man films fatal crash on cellphone instead of helping victims

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
An Ohio man who allegedly recorded the harrowing moments of a fatal crash on his cellphone instead of helping the victims, calling them idiots, has been charged.

Paul Pelton, 41, was charged with vehicular trespass after he opened a back door and leaned into the vehicle to capture video on his cellphone just after the Monday accident in Lorain, 30 miles west of Cleveland, the Lorain Police Department said.

The crash involved Zachary Goodin and Cameron Friend, both 17. Friend, who was a passenger, was taken to an area hospital where he died of his injuries, while Goodin’s condition was unknown.

Neighbours tried to help the pair while Pelton filmed, and at no time did he try to assist, police said.

Pelton, a Lorain resident, was arrested and charged with a fourth-degree misdemeanor for entering what police said was a crime scene, not for taking the video or trying to sell it to news organizations after posting it to Facebook, Lorain Police Detective Buddy Sivert said.

Pelton committed a crime only when he entered the car without permission, Sivert said. If convicted, he faces a maximum of 30 days in jail and a $250 fine.

“We searched to try to find anything to charge him with,” Sivert said. “It is not a crime to stick a camera where a kid is dying or try to sell it.”

Pelton posted bond and was released, Sivert said. No court date has been set.

The driver lost control of the car as it crossed railroad tracks and it crashed into the side of a house, police said.

https://nz.news.yahoo.com/world/a/2...rash-on-cellphone-instead-of-helping-victims/

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
“We searched to try to find anything to charge him with,” Sivert said. “It is not a crime to stick a camera where a kid is dying or try to sell it.”

Maybe it should be?

Yeah, yeah, yeah.....I know why it isn't and shouldn't be....but fuk-a-doodle-doo, if the first thing that comes to your mind when you happen across a horrific accident is capturing the moment so you can sell it later, then there is something wrong with your mind.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Maybe it should be?

Yeah, yeah, yeah.....I know why it isn't and shouldn't be....but fuk-a-doodle-doo, if the first thing that comes to your mind when you happen across a horrific accident is capturing the moment so you can sell it later, then there is something wrong with your mind.
Only in one state, Vermont, is it a crime to fail to render aid when you can safely do so.

That's why they had to make up this bogus charge to punish this guy. Which is total BS, but using the law in unintended ways to make the news is pretty much standard these days.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Only in one state, Vermont, is it a crime to fail to render aid when you can safely do so.

But I think failing to render aid and attempting to capitalize on the severe misfortune of others are very different things.

Maybe it's just me but I think the human instinct when you witness such an event is to either drop everything and rush to help or, drop everything and cover your face because you can't deal with it. Both those reactions, I think, are understandable. But to pick up a camera, get in close, in a situation like that.....at some point in becomes inhumane and possibly inhuman.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
But I think failing to render aid and attempting to capitalize on the severe misfortune of others are very different things.
If they illegalize that, they'll have to lock up every reporter, politician, and pundit on the planet.

So, y'know. . . that's a great idea.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
If they illegalize that, they'll have to lock up every reporter, politician, and pundit on the planet.

So, y'know. . . that's a great idea.

I know....that's why I said "I know why they don't make it illegal" in the first place.

Doesn't mean I can't, won't and don't think this guy or other like-minded individuals aren't just enormous mouth breathing, fuktarded douchebags.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
I know....that's why I said "I know why they don't make it illegal" in the first place.

Doesn't mean I can't, won't and don't think this guy or other like-minded individuals aren't just enormous mouth breathing, fuktarded douchebags.
Couldn't agree more. Just have a little problem with stretching the laws to places they were never intended to go to punish douchebaggery.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Couldn't agree more. Just have a little problem with stretching the laws to places they were never intended to go to punish douchebaggery.

Fair enough....but I do understand the impulse to want to do that though. Camera boy should go through a sizable public shaming in some way, shape or form but the courts should not be tied up with this. It's a waste of resources for something that will likely end up dismissed in the end.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Fair enough....but I do understand the impulse to want to do that though. Camera boy should go through a sizable public shaming in some way, shape or form but the courts should not be tied up with this. It's a waste of resources for something that will likely end up dismissed in the end.
Agreed again. But public shaming is one thing; criminal sanction is another. It's dangerous and wrong for two reasons:

1. The Ohio legislature had plenty of opportunity to consider this kind of behavior and decide whether it should be a crime or not. For whatever reason, they chose not to make it a crime. In our system of government, that's the will of the people, which is supposed to rule.

2. Once the cops and the DA get on a vendetta, it can get pretty crazy. If they decide to really go after this guy, they can manipulate him into life in prison. They've done it before. That's not their job, and it's incredibly dangerous both to the victim, and to everybody who hears another "step out of line and we'll take you out" message.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Agreed again. But public shaming is one thing; criminal sanction is another. It's dangerous and wrong for two reasons:

1. The Ohio legislature had plenty of opportunity to consider this kind of behavior and decide whether it should be a crime or not. For whatever reason, they chose not to make it a crime. In our system of government, that's the will of the people, which is supposed to rule.

2. Once the cops and the DA get on a vendetta, it can get pretty crazy. If they decide to really go after this guy, they can manipulate him into life in prison. They've done it before. That's not their job, and it's incredibly dangerous both to the victim, and to everybody who hears another "step out of line and we'll take you out" message.

I actually do not disagree with you on this at all. It can be scary to see how far "the law" can go (and by the law I mean not just police officers but judges, prosecutors, city officials, etc).

I don't think he should have been charged. I do think someone needs to stand up and give a slap across his stupid head. You just, I don't know, hope people do something a little bit better than that with their freedom.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
I don't think he should have been charged. I do think someone needs to stand up and give a slap across his stupid head. You just, I don't know, hope people do something a little bit better than that with their freedom.
Bring back the stocks. A day of public shaking would go further than $250 or a 30 day default.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Bring back the stocks. A day of public shaking would go further than $250 or a 30 day default.

I don't know why this just popped into my head, cuz I'm weird and random I suppose lol, but it just struck me that what we should have is public dunk tanks. You know the ones they have at the fairs, you buy tickets and throw the ball trying to knock the guy into the water. So instead of fines and jail time, we can "sentence" people to time in the dunk tank, have the "charge" available for the public to read and charge a buck a ball for attempts to plunge them into the cold water. Proceeds can go to a victim fund or something.

I don't know why but the thought of that just makes me feel good, lol.

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
I think this...individual will be publicly shamed for a very long time in his home town, by his peers there and by his friends (assuming he has any left now) and family.

I'm guessing that he won't be receiving any help from anyone for quite a while.

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
Maybe I'm a cynic, but for every type of individual, there are more the same....
Sure, a lot of people will ostracize him, but he will get his accolades from others just like him....

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Maybe I'm a cynic, but for every type of individual, there are more the same....
Sure, a lot of people will ostracize him, but he will get his accolades from others just like him....

Yeah but don't forget, roaches tend to scatter when you turn the light on. Lol.