Police Brutality Activist Mysteriously Dies In Jail

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
Grieving friends and family of Sandra Bland want to know how the 28-year-old wound up dead in a Texas jail cell, and they don’t believe the story they’re being told by Waller County authorities.

Bland, who was outspoken about racism and police brutality, had just gotten a new job at her alma matter, Texas Prairie View A&M, and was on her way from the Chicago suburb of Naperville to her new home near Houston when she was stopped by police for failing to signal during a lane change on Friday afternoon, the Chicago Tribune reports.

The simple traffic stop escalated, according to video of the arrest that has emerged on YouTube.

Sandra Bland was stopped by Texas police for a lane change and ended up dead in a jail cell

Sheriff of Texas town where Sandra Bland died was fired from previous job for racism

“We have now learned that Waller County Sheriff Glenn Smith, who made the first public comments about Bland’s in-custody death, was suspended for documented cases of racism when he was chief of police in Hempstead, Texas, in 2007. After serving his suspension, more complaints of racism came in, and Smith was actually fired as chief of police in Hempstead,” King wrote.

Sheriff of Texas town where Sandra Bland died was fired from previous job for racism

Last edited by a moderator:

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007
I'm sure Al not-so-Sharpton will get to the bottom of this story.

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
Sandra Bland's jail cell death to be treated like murder probe: Prosecutor
Victoria Cavaliere, REUTERS
First posted: Tuesday, July 21, 2015 09:36 AM EDT | Updated: Tuesday, July 21, 2015 10:01 AM EDT
The death of an Illinois woman found hanged in her Texas jail cell in what local authorities said was a suicide will be investigated as thoroughly as a murder, the local district attorney said on Monday.
Sandra Bland, 28, was found dead on July 13, three days after she was arrested for assaulting an officer during a traffic stop in Waller County, about 50 miles (80 km) west of Houston, authorities have said.
The Waller County Sheriff's Office said Bland took her own life and the death was ruled a suicide by the Harris County Medical Examiner's Office. But her family and friends have publicly questioned the official account.
At a news conference on Monday, Waller County District Attorney Elton Mathis said there were "too many questions" to determine how she died.
"This is being treated like a murder investigation," Mathis said. He added that officials would examine fingerprints and run DNA tests on the plastic trash bag used in her hanging.
Bland's family has called for an independent autopsy and for the U.S. Justice Department to open an investigation, saying the young woman had moved to Texas from Chicago to start a new job and would not have taken her own life.
They also told Chicago local media that Bland, a black woman, was outspoken about allegations of bias and excessive force by U.S. law enforcement in a year that saw protests across the country following the killings of unarmed black men by white officers in New York, Missouri and South Carolina.
Last week, the FBI and Texas Rangers, a statewide police and investigation agency, said they were looking into Bland's case.
The trooper who took Bland into custody following a traffic stop in Prairie View, Texas, has been put on desk duty for violating protocol during her July 10 arrest, the Department of Public Safety said.
Bland was accused of becoming combative and assaulting the officer, according to arrest records and local media.
The Waller County Sheriff's Office on Monday released three hours of footage from the jail on the morning of her death, the Houston Chronicle reported. A female officer who apparently saw Bland hanging in her cell is seen in the footage running for help, the newspaper said.
Several officers administered CPR to try and revive her, the newspaper said, citing the sheriff's account.
Sandra Bland's jail cell death to be treated like murder probe: Prosecutor | Wor

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
Sandra Bland killed by cops in Texas

Sandra Bland killed by cops in Texas

The police slammed her head on the ground and dislocated her shoulder.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-TQ98mRAiw

Last Friday, an African-American woman was returning home from a job interview in Waller County, Texas, when she was stopped by police. Apparently, she had improperly signaled a lane change. Two days later, the woman, Sandy Bland, was found dead in a jail cell. A video taken by a bystander during the arrest shows Bland shouting that the officer had slammed her head into the ground. According to police, Sandra Bland was taken into custody and charged with "assault of a public servant." On Monday, police say Bland was "found in her cell not breathing from what appears to be self-inflicted asphyxiation." The announcement was made by Waller County Sheriff Glenn Smith. Meanwhile, reports have emerged that Smith was fired from his previous post as chief of police of Hempstead, Texas, amidst accusations of racism. Bland’s friends and family contest Smith’s account, saying the thought of her committing suicide by hanging is "unfathomable." Social media is now ablaze with people demanding answers about Sandra Bland’s death. The hashtag #SandraBland is now trending on Twitter, edging out the Emmys as a topic of discussion. We speak to Maya Schenwar, editor-in-chief of Truthout and author of "Locked Down, Locked Out: Why Prison Doesn’t Work and How We Can Do Better."

Generally I would say that the cop should be put in jail, but I actually think the arresting cop should be killed.

after you watch the video, you may agree

www.youtube.com/watch?v=IYim6pDZV0Y

Brian Encinia: 5 Fast Facts You Need to Know | Heavy.com

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
Re: Sandra Bland killed by cops in Texas

She improperly changed lanes. Totally justified.

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com

She improperly changed lanes. Totally justified.

Yeah brilliant tased and beaten for a land change.

Open Season on Cops.

Kill them before they kill you..

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit

According to police, Sandra Bland was taken into custody and charged with "assault of a public servant."
I don't know how much time that gets someone in the US but in Canada that'll earn you a deuce.

People have offed themselves for less time.

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
She failed to obey Officer Friendly. She deserved to die.

Yeah real "friendly" threatened to taser here, introduced her head to the pavement and dislocated her shoulder for good measure.

All for a incorrect lane change. This is very sad, a young lady lost her life.

She did have a bit of attitude when pulled over, but if the State Trooper was professional, he should have been able to take control of the situation without threats and violence.

I'm slowly becoming intolerant of cops, and feel as soon as they put on a badge they think they are somehow above the law.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
As many people on this board have said, in one form or another, if you disobey the police you deserve anything you get.

Besides, she committed suicide. How is that the cops' fault?

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
Besides, she committed suicide. How is that the cops' fault?

She had her future ahead of her, new job, new home, and a dislocated shoulder.

Have you even had a dislocated shoulder??

Something is fukked up here.. a little fishy. I honestly think there was foul play by the police here.

She obviously had them for excessive force, and maybe a few cops would have lost their jobs.. but if she's dead, so is any claims she has against the cops..

But Hey!!! Murder by Cop these days is Okay if your black.

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
So is everyone mad because this stable individual killed herself?

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
The cops are out of control they see the public as enemy combatants
If you ask the officer Am I under arrest and they say no just remain
silent. Give them nothing.
I will no longer tell my grandchildren a cop is your friend that is how much
respect I have lost for these uniformed whatever they are.
As for open season on cops I can't go along with that either but it is likely
coming on its own and that is not good for it demonstrates the breakdown
of society and that is worse. We need to bring the police into compliance
with the law. Did she nag herself NO Ithink they did kill her I have no more
reason to believe these cops