Obama converts sentences for 46 drug peddlers!

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
For a nonviolent drug crime? Thats a huge waste of money right there.

46 is nothing in the grand scheme of things.

I'm not sure there is such a thing as non violent when it comes to drugs, even if the pusher isn't violent his customers could likely be violent! 46 is "nothing" unless you're one of the 46 - that's just the current number, more to come later was mentioned. I've seen first hand how a "non violent" person can be very violent when strung out on dope. Until I lived with it I had no idea of all the ramifications! Even though drug pushers themselves may not be violent, they create a lot of violence, if not murder.

Last edited:

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
I'm not sure there is such a thing as non violent when it comes to drugs, even if the pusher isn't violent his customers could likely be violent! 46 is "nothing" unless you're one of the 46 - that's just the current number, more to come later was mentioned. I've seen first hand how a "non violent" person can be very violent when strung out on dope. Until I lived with it I had no idea of all the ramifications!
The current total is about 90.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Drug addiction is a health problem and should be treated as such. Criminalizing it is the same as criminalizing mental illness.
The pharmaceutical industry kills way more people every year than do illegal drugs. Nobody is calling to have those criminals put in jail.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Drug addiction is a health problem and should be treated as such. Criminalizing it is the same as criminalizing mental illness.
We'd miss you.

Kidding.

The pharmaceutical industry kills way more people every year than do illegal drugs. Nobody is calling to have those criminals put in jail.
Well, nobody but you. What about the alcohol and tobacco industries?

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa
I'm not sure there is such a thing as non violent when it comes to drugs, even if the pusher isn't violent his customers could likely be violent!

Same applies to alcohol. Its legal. You dont see the LCBO being charged for what an abusive alcoholic does. If a customer becomes violent its on them. Its not like the risks arent known to the user before they buy. If they are willing to take it, fine. Its their life.

Until I lived with it I had no idea of all the ramifications!

My father was an abusive alcoholic, but I still dont think alcohol should be banned. Prohibition both of alcohol and other drugs has done far more damage than legalization could.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
Same applies to alcohol. Its legal. You dont see the LCBO being charged for what an abusive alcoholic does. If a customer becomes violent its on them. Its not like the risks arent known to the user before they buy. If they are willing to take it, fine. Its their life.

I think as long as it remains illegal, it should be treated as such. No pardons and prosecute to full extent. The side effects of the illegal industry are the dangerous ones.

That being said, I think its a waste of time and resources for everybody involved to keep it illegal. Legalize it, regulate it, and tax it. Try to keep it out of hands of kids and let informed adults destroy their life at their own peril. But lets not waste a whole bunch of money on those that choose to do so.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
I think as long as it remains illegal, it should be treated as such. No pardons and prosecute to full extent. The side effects of the illegal industry are the dangerous ones.
This wasn't about prosecution. It was about punishment. The convicts were not pardoned, their sentences were commuted. It says nothing about their guilt or innocence, and nothing about drug policy or legality. It just says the punishments were too harsh, so Obama reduced them.

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
Meanwhile Ross Ulbricht got life with no chance of parole for building a website.

a website.

'merica.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Meanwhile Ross Ulbricht got life with no chance of parole for building a website.

a website.

'merica.

And a few other things. It may just make others with similar intentions think twice! :)

This wasn't about prosecution. It was about punishment. The convicts were not pardoned, their sentences were commuted. It says nothing about their guilt or innocence, and nothing about drug policy or legality. It just says the punishments were too harsh, so Obama reduced them.

We're treading a fine line here, even if the sentences were too harsh you don't want to give potential drug peddlers the impression they are too harsh.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.

That being said, I think its a waste of time and resources for everybody involved to keep it illegal. Legalize it, regulate it, and tax it. Try to keep it out of hands of kids and let informed adults destroy their life at their own peril. But lets not waste a whole bunch of money on those that choose to do so.

Sounds good until someone you once cared about and was closely connected to you destroyed their life and several others solely because they got hooked on dope. These bastards have no conscience, none, zilch, nada!

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Sounds good until someone you once cared about and was closely connected to you destroyed their life and several others solely because they got hooked on dope. These bastards have no conscience, none, zilch, nada!

Then punish them. To quote the alcohol and tobacco sellers "We just provide a product."

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa
Sounds good until someone you once cared about and was closely connected to you destroyed their life and several others solely because they got hooked on dope.

I know some people like that. I imagine most do. I still say its their life and their choice. Keeping these things illegal just makes it worse.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
. Keeping these things illegal just makes it worse.

Oh, how so?? "these things" are all to often connected to theft, break and enter, prostitution, child abandonment, spousal abuse, the whole gamut right up to and including murder. How worse can it get?

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
Is There Nothing That Obama Can't Do?

By Kate on July 15, 2015 10:24 AM | 16 Comments

John Walters;
And just who is Obama releasing? Not "low-level, drug-possession offenders" or marijuana users. No, he is releasing crack dealers, cocaine dealers, and methamphetamine dealers. Most of the 46 were crack cocaine distributors, some convicted of dealing more than 10 pounds of crack.

Moreover, some of these felony drug dealers were also convicted of a gun crime, such as, "possession of a firearm during and in relation to a drug trafficking offense."

So, President Obama and former Attorney General Eric Holder attacked the entire American criminal justice system, charging that large numbers of individuals were routinely imprisoned for non-violent drug possession. And after months of searching they have found no such individuals--none. But they will release a tiny group of convicted drug dealers and armed felons.

anyway, Why Is Obama Ignoring Murder Of Katie Steinle?

barry barry he's the man...