Greece given 72 hours to win trust by passing bailout laws or face suspension from eu

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Greece given 72 hours to win trust by passing bailout laws or face suspension from eurozone | Financial Post

Appears I was right. Hardball and control due to past problems with enforcement by Greece.
The games played by Greece are over.

European leaders gave Greek Prime Minister Alexis Tsipras a straightforward choice on Sunday: disown his principles or quit the euro.In addition to requirements to cut pensions and raise sales tax, which Tsipras accepted last week, the memo demanded that officials from Greece’s creditors return to Athens with full access to government ministers and a veto over relevant legislation, according to the document.

Euro-area leaders also want Tsipras to transfer as much as 50 billion euros (US$56 billion) of state assets to an independent Luxembourg-based company for sale and make him fire the workers he hired in defiance of Greece’s previous bailout commitments.

After putting up with personal attacks, contradictory messages and an anti-austerity referendum from Athens, euro-area policy makers are pressing home their advantage with Tsipras’s resistance running out of fuel.Euro-area leaders presented Tsipras with a laundry list of unfinished business from previous bailouts he’d pilloried in opposition and during six turbulent months in office. They gave him three days to enact their main demands into Greek law in exchange for the third bailout in five years.

If Tsipras misses that deadline, Greece may be suspended from the currency union, Finnish Finance Minister Alexander Stubb said.

“Greece is being given exactly two choices,” Stubb said. “It’s a rather black-and-white choice.”

With Greece running out of money and its banks shut the past two weeks, the confrontation came at summit in Brussels Sunday that was billed as his last chance to stay in the euro. Greece missed a payment to the International Monetary Fund June 30 and allowed its second rescue package to lapse the same day.

Greece needs to pass laws by July 15 to raise sales tax, cut pensions, change the bankruptcy code, safeguard the independence of the statistics office and make spending cuts automatic if the budget misses its target, according to the text presented to leaders.

With Greek banks rationing cash and the ECB reviewing how long it can keep the country’s financial system alive, Tsipras won a stay of execution as he arrived at the summit when a Sunday meeting of the 28 European Union leaders was canceled. The full group of leaders would only have gathered to discuss how to handle Greece’s exit from the euro, Maltese Prime Minister Joseph Muscat said.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Then the economy crashes- if you think it is bad now it would be much worse.
It needs to get much worse. People in general have become so complacent, so isolated, selfish and self centered in the west. Greeks are already starting to work together, to cooperate to feed themselves. I see this as a good thing; long over due. It needs to happen all over the west and it will. People need to start caring about and for each other, and it ain't gonna happen until this sh!t hits the fan. Why should the people suffer so the rich banksters can get fatter?

Wally, you redded this before you even had a chance to read it. Like I said - as good as green.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
I don't agree with the Greeks but I just don't like the Euro Zone period.
This could spell the end of the Euro and a wedge could be driven into
the heart of that setup.
Greeks will not accept the terms they demonstrated that with a vote.
I say we should start telling the world banks the days of compound interest
are over too. That won't happen anytime soon but the day is coming when
people have had enough of corporations, endorsements, bonuses and the
the waste that creates the mess we have.
While we are at it the Have countries should take back deals and tell the WTO
to take a hike. We have natural resources and we should use them to our
advantage and sell only to countries we like those who violate human rights etc
get none. The government should dictate price one price for Canadians and one
for the world at large.
That should give some a field day being critical of this approach. Perhaps we
should use the Greek situation to advance our own agenda.
Greece has 47 stat holidays, they don't pay taxes most don't care if they work
the underground economy is the number one employer.
Still the rest of the European dictatorship doesn't see what is coming a day of
economic reckoning that will dwarf the Spring uprisings The world she is a changing
Dylan just didn't think it would take this long

grainfedpraiboy

Electoral Member
Mar 15, 2009
Alberta The Last Best West
Greece lived well beyond it's means for decades. Greece blames the banks for loaning them the money in the first place and want debt forgiveness. The banks blame Greece for not dealing with their internal issues and want austerity.

There is no winning for the Greek people. In or out of the Euro the current generation who had nothing to do with this mess are screwed for the remainder of their lives. Powerful lessons here for other Western countries who believe borrowing now for social programs has little to no future consequences.

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
This is good for Greece.

They need to learn the way out for themselves.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
All first, second and third world countries are going to go through this sooner or later. We have burdened our grand children's future with enormous dept and this cannot go on much longer. The dept bubble has to burst. It is inevitable.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
All first, second and third world countries are going to go through this sooner or later. We have burdened our grand children's future with enormous dept and this cannot go on much longer. The dept bubble has to burst. It is inevitable.

Sure because the banksters forced Greece to borrow heavily for social programs no one wanted.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Sure because the banksters forced Greece to borrow heavily for social programs no one wanted.
you are not only a tax slave but you are a media slave too. The media are feeding everybody a load of BS and everybody is buying it. Who owns the media? Do you really think they are telling you the truth? I may not be an expert on Greece or their problems, but, after 8 years on these forums, I know BS when I see it.