Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
because 'Asian tourists don’t use them properly'

• Diagrams apparently aimed at visitors from Southeast Asia and Middle East
  • They explain how one should sit on a loo seat, rather than squat
  • Also, they should put toilet paper into lavatory, rather than the bin
  • Signs are posted at Mount Rigi railway, Lake Lucerne

A series of signs in Switzerland - apparently aimed at visitors from Southeast Asia and the Middle East - explain how one should sit on a loo seat, rather than squat; and throw toilet paper into the lavatory, rather than into the bin

'It happens that guests mount on the toilet seats to do their business - and sometimes they don’t know where to put the [toilet] paper,' Roger Joss, director of marketing for the railway told 20 Minuten newspaper.

However, visitors from Korea and China interviewed by the paper said the campaign was unnecessary as they already knew how to use the facilities correctly.

They may well 'pooh pooh' the strategy - but Marcel Furer, head of the regional tourist office, told 20 Minuten: 'Tourists from the Gulf region or Asian countries are not very aware of our way of living.

more

How to use toilet signs erected by Swiss railway 'for benefit of Asians' | Daily Mail Online

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007
Should be done everywhere, the mess in public washrooms because of the ignorance of some cultures is appalling.

grainfedpraiboy

Electoral Member
Mar 15, 2009
Alberta The Last Best West
Many of the Somali's Canada aggressively recruited from the refugee camps I learned when I hired a few of them a couple years ago during the labour shortage had never seen a toilet until arriving at the airport in Kenya for the flight to Canada.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
My culture kicks ***! It is the greatest culture the world has ever known. In no way do I remotely pretend that other cultures past or present are equal.
Seriously, grain, your culture is frakkin' amazing.

My admiration for Canada (with a pretty solid understanding of its flaws) is unbounded.

So far, even the people on this board haven't managed to shake it.

Canada Rocks!

(Though perhaps saying that on Independence Day is treason, or at least inappropriate).

grainfedpraiboy

Electoral Member
Mar 15, 2009
Seriously, grain, your culture is frakkin' amazing.

My admiration for Canada (with a pretty solid understanding of its flaws) is unbounded.

So far, even the people on this board haven't managed to shake it.

Canada Rocks!

(Though perhaps saying that on Independence Day is treason, or at least inappropriate).

I was actually including the USA. I regard my culture as a shared Western one.

grainfedpraiboy

Electoral Member
Mar 15, 2009
The equation is:

Canada = U.S. - douchebaggery

Growing up in Canada it can be pretty difficult not to have a bit of a negative view of the US partially because at our core our society tries to define itself by how we're not Americans and in doing so we tend to focus on their bad to our good.

But my opinion first started changing in the early 90s when I was working in New Westminster at the armoury and was called a baby killer twice in the span of a week by locals then was sent to Ft. Lewis across the border and people regularly tried to buy me coffee or would stop to shake my hand and thank me and I was a foreigner.

I spent a lot more time on other American bases in both the US and abroad and now travel extensively in the USA for recreation and I think the American people are great. Further, US contributions to science, culture and in particular the principles of democracy, free speech and expression have shaped the world and my own culture for the better.

My country has more than it's share of douchebags. 10 minutes driving in any Canadian city will prove that.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Growing up in Canada it can be pretty difficult not to have a bit of a negative view of the US partially because at our core our society tries to define itself by how we're not Americans and in doing so we tend to focus on their bad to our good.

But my opinion first started changing in the early 90s when I was working in New Westminster at the armoury and was called a baby killer twice in the span of a week by locals then was sent to Ft. Lewis across the border and people regularly tried to buy me coffee or would stop to shake my hand and thank me and I was a foreigner.

I spent a lot more time on other American bases in both the US and abroad and now travel extensively in the USA for recreation and I think the American people are great. Further, US contributions to science, culture and in particular the principles of democracy, free speech and expression have shaped the world and my own culture for the better.

My country has more than it's share of douchebags. 10 minutes driving in any Canadian city will prove that.
Kind of you, and thank you very much.

Still, I'll stand on my position. All things considered, your country is amazing.