Greece likely to exit euro and EU without deal with creditors – central bank

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
Greece likely to exit euro and EU without deal with creditors – central bank

Athens is likely to leave the eurozone and the EU if it fails to reach an agreement to unlock a €7.2 billion bailout installment, said a statement from the Bank of Greece.

“Failure to reach an agreement would, ..., mark the beginning of a painful course that would lead initially to a Greek default and ultimately to the country's exit from the euro area and – most likely – from the European Union,” the bank said in a statement Wednesday.

The manageable debt crisis Greece is now facing may turn into an uncontrollable and broader crisis, dangerous for the banking system and financial stability, the bank added. An exit from the eurozone would only add to hostility that is already felt, and, as a result, a deep exchange rate crisis would make inflation skyrocket.

“All this would imply a deep recession, a dramatic decline in income levels, an exponential rise in unemployment and a collapse of all that the Greek economy has achieved over the years of its EU, and especially its euro area, membership. From its position as a core member of Europe, Greece would see itself relegated to the rank of a poor country in the European South,” the bank said.

This is why the bank called a debt deal a “historical imperative” impossible to ignore.

The five-months of inconclusive negotiations have led to a high level of uncertainty in Greece, which is hitting the country hard, the bank said. This reflected in higher Greek bond yields and Greek businesses losing financing in the capital markets.

“On the domestic front, heightened uncertainty was reflected in the deterioration of economic sentiment and confidence indicators and in bank deposit withdrawals by businesses and households.”

Between October 2014 and April 2015 €30 billion was withdrawn from deposits, the bank said.

Fears of Greece leaving the euro escalated after the country delayed a €300 million payment to the IMF on June 5, saying it’ll bundle four June payments totaling €1.6 billion together and pay them at the end of the month.

So far the negotiations have failed to meet halfway over reforms in Greece which is the main condition for Athens to receive the last €7.2 billion tranche of the second bailout. But the Bank of Greece said a compromise on the main conditions and smaller issues remained to be covered.

Greece maintains it won’t accept new deep austerity cuts while the country’s creditors – the IMF, the ECB and the European Commission – insist on more financial responsibility from Athens.

Despite some write-offs of Greek debt made by creditors in 2012, its public debt currently stands at €316 billion, about 175 percent of the country’s GDP. The maximum acceptable level for the EU should be not more than 60 percent of GDP, according to the EU’s Stability and Growth Pact.

Austerity measures have seen unemployment rise from 12 to 27 percent in three years, GDP has fallen by 26 percent since 2008, Greeks are under a huge tax burden, and the number of people living below the poverty line is increasing every day, said Prime Minister Alexis Tsipras last week. His Syriza party came to power promising to end austerity.

Over the last five years, Athens has reduced pensions by up to 44 percent, reduced salaries in the private sector by up to 32 percent, and seen its labor market crushed, he added.

source: http://rt.com/business/267754-greece-euro-exit-debt/

Now if we could only kick out Ontario and Quebec and move the Capital of Canada to Calgary.. :lol:

Be warned Ontario, your debt is worse than Greece.

...and all your manufacturing jobs are moving to Mexico :)

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
Greece maintains it won’t accept new deep austerity cuts while the country’s creditors – the IMF, the ECB and the European Commission – insist on more financial responsibility from Athens.

It amazes me that the EU has strung Greece along for as long as they have.

The above quote suggests that Greece has no interest in living within it's means and are demanding that the rest of EU tax their populations in order to provide a lifestyle for the Greeks

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
It amazes me that the EU has strung Greece along for as long as they have.

The above quote suggests that Greece has no interest in living within it's means and are demanding that the rest of EU tax their populations in order to provide a lifestyle for the Greeks

I think its time to let then default and then sink or swim on their own. Its not like anybody would loan them a dime after they defaulted of course.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
I think its time to let then default and then sink or swim on their own. Its not like anybody would loan them a dime after they defaulted of course.

To date, they have refused to come up with a plan that shows any form of working towards a balanced budget. Each month, they issued veiled threats that if more money isn't injected into their economy, they will leave.

Right now, it's the German taxpayer that is footing the bill for all of Greece's mismanagement, I am surprised that Merkel hasn't shut the door already.

Greece has been living on borrowed time for the last 10 years, I'd wager that the ride is soon over

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007
The Greeks don't like their gubmint and because of that most don't pay taxes.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006

Austerity measures have seen unemployment rise from 12 to 27 percent in three years, GDP has fallen by 26 percent since 2008, Greeks are under a huge tax burden, and the number of people living below the poverty line is increasing every day, said Prime Minister Alexis Tsipras last week. His Syriza party came to power promising to end austerity.

Over the last five years, Athens has reduced pensions by up to 44 percent, reduced salaries in the private sector by up to 32 percent, and seen its labor market crushed, he added.

These will be the good old days once it all crashes.

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
There should be lots of opportunities for cheap Greek vacations payed for in $US until the military coup, when they will then clamp down on black marketeers and no one will be able to buy anything, there.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Let's hope this spells the downfall of the EU.

As for the Euro currency, if you go back to 2001 just before the euro coins were introduced - on 1st January 2002 - into those countries who had just adopted the currency, there were numpties - mainly on the Left - who said that Britain would be better off joining the euro, and that all the Eurozone countries would power ahead and leave Britain in their wake if Britain kept the pound. I'm sure they are feeling rather silly now. Disturbingly, they're the very same people who spell doom and gloom and disaster for Britain and the world - including, in all seriousness, planes falling out of the sky (and I'm not joking) - should Britain vote to leave the EU in the referendum.

Also, this referendum result shows the two contrasting mentalities of the Greeks and British: in May's General Election the British voted for MORE austerity, yet the Greeks have just voted for LESS of it.

Greece votes No: The European Union is dying before our eyes

It's not just disaffected pensioners: young Greeks have worked out that they don't need the bloated EU

Photo: Sakis Mitrolidis/AFP

By Nigel Farage, leader of Ukip and the Ukip MEP for South East England
06 Jul 2015
The Telegraph
1588 Comments

Despite the scaremongering and bullying from those in Brussels, we are waking today with Greece having delivered a resounding No.

That comes despite EU bosses saying that it would mean a Greek exit from the Euro, not to mention the heavy economic pressure placed on the Greek people to go along with the wishes of Brussels. It is a crushing defeat for those Eurocrats who believe that you can simply bulldoze public opinion.

Chief bully-boy Martin Schulz, President of the European Parliament, and other supposed leaders of the European Union did their best to terrify the Greek people into submitting to the wishes of the European Union. But they utterly failed. The fear espoused by the Yes campaign was rejected. Opinion polls that put the Yes side ahead just days before were way out, as thousands upon thousands of Greek citizens lined the streets chanting “Oxi” ("No").

Chief bully-boy Martin Schulz, President of the European Parliament

Where does Greece go from here? Well it seems to me that Alexis Tsipras cannot go on having his cake and eating it. A more prosperous Greece, ran by the Greeks rather than by the EU, must surely face up to the reality that a euro exit is both inevitable and desirable in order for a long-term economic recovery to truly begin.

There is a bigger picture to consider, however. A huge generational dynamic exists, running through all of this. One poll from Antenna News in Greece found that 67 per cent of Greeks under the age of 35 voted No which shows just how much the seismic plates are shifting within European politics. The fact that young Greeks overwhelmingly rejected the Brussels dictat and voted No in huge numbers is of massive significance.

Whilst some of the older generation may still buy into the notion of the EU having brought peace to Europe, the younger generations are just not sold. And why should they be? The European Union today is causing massive resentment between European nations. Just look at how relations between Germany and Greece have deteriorated. Far from bringing peace, the EU now sows resentment.

Whatever fine aims there were fifty or sixty years ago have no relevance to the reality of life for young people right across the EU now, including in Greece. The EU’s old, outdated ideas have been rejected at the ballot box in exchange for a new approach and fresh thinking.

The result is a tired, stumbling European Union that is dying on its feet before our very eyes. Credibility for the project is fading fast as citizens right across Europe awaken to the reality of its authoritarian instincts that seek to run roughshod over public opinion.

With younger generations now turning against the EU project, we can see support for the EU's dream of a United States of Europe fading fast. An outdated European Union has been found out and rejected emphatically by young Greeks in the 21st century.

It is all too clear to see why: both the euro single currency and the European Union itself have done great harm to the prospects of young people who are now realising that we do not need a single currency or a political union to be friends, neighbours and trading partners. Far more important than this European Union is the concept of national democracy, of which this Greek referendum and its result are a beaming example of.

Greece votes No: The European Union is dying before our eyes - Telegraph

Last edited:

Durry

House Member
May 18, 2010
Canada
Having been to Greece a few times, I find the Greek people to be very lazy people. They seem to think the world owes them a living.

The harder working Greeks normally leave Greece to work elsewhere.

I can't imagine how bad things must be there now, when I was there many of the things you take for granted were not working, ie poor water supply, toilets were all plugged, etc etc

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
At least now if they crash and burn they can have the satisfaction in knowing it is because of their own state's choosing.

They need to be removed from the euro.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
At least now if they crash and burn they can have the satisfaction in knowing it is because of their own state's choosing.

They need to be removed from the euro.

I think that it's a foregone conclusion that they will be facing very hard times. They have clearly demonstrated that they can not finance their own society and have relied on funding from other nations to pay for their demands.

Ultimately, they will reneg on the (total) outstanding debt obligations that will likely result in no one in the EU wanting to trade with them for lack of confidence and credibility.

Gonna be a tough row to hoe for the average Greek

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
As is all things in that part of the world Greece wants to avoid paying its bills
The reason they are the epitome of over benefits and not paying taxes.
The last I heard they had something like 47 Stat holidays and most avoid
paying taxes or not paying their share of the tax burden
At the same time they want to take advantage of the benefits of the EU and
allowing their products and workers to travel Europe on someone Else's tab.
I think Greece as a nation and the Greek People have to learn they have to pay
their own way.
I have said many times their is the loony left and the loony right and the rest of
us with normal left right views. This is a case where the loony left set up shop
for several generations and its time to join the r est of the world