Road rage in the Maritimes? Survey suggests N.B. drivers have worst anger issues

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
Road rage in the Maritimes? Survey suggests N.B. drivers have worst anger issues

Drivers in New Brunswick have the most road rage -- at least according to a new survey that asked motorists whether they have anger issues behind the wheel.

The survey of about 1,500 Canadians found 61 per cent of New Brunswickers self-identified as having road rage. That compared to 51 per cent in the Prairie provinces, 48 per cent in Ontario, 43 per cent in B.C. and just 30 per cent in Quebec.

In the Atlantic provinces as a whole the number of those who identified as having road rage hovered around 44 per cent. And in Nova Scotia, 58 per cent of those surveyed said they don’t experience road rage at all while driving.

Gary Howard, spokesperson for CAA, said he thinks the results would be much different if the survey had asked New Brunswick drivers how they rated drivers in other provinces.

Instead it asked drivers to self-assess how they react to other New Brunswick drivers –- whether they’ve experienced bad or aggressive driving and if they’ve reacted to it in kind.

"What may be aggressive in our province is just how you normally drive in other provinces,” Howard told CTV Atlantic.
And the term ‘road rage’ can have a wide interpretation, he said.

“It means different things to different people, but typically tailgating, aggressive speeding, even things you think are not aggressive: driving in the left lane when you’re not passing somebody –- that can actually create road rage.”

Tom Howell, a New Brunswick driver, said he agrees drivers in his province are relatively “courteous” on the road, but he does admit to getting a little heated from time to time behind the wheel.

“I try and control it. I don’t holler at people, I holler in my own head but I don’t holler or shake my fist. That’s all you can do,” Howell said.

The survey was commissioned by AutoTrader.ca, with respondents asked questions about their pet peeves in other drivers and which actions, such as texting or tailgating, ticked them off the most.

Across Canada, Canadians were united in their annoyance at those who text or talk while driving, with almost 30 per cent saying it was their biggest pet peeve.

But 15 per cent of those surveyed admitted they are among the culprits, often texting while they drive in spite of the risk.

Among the other findings:

36 per cent said they sometimes talk on the phone while driving
Of those who talk and drive, 27 per cent use a handheld device
20 per cent of Canadians hate drivers who tailgate
Over 50 per cent of those surveyed admitted to disobeying traffic signs while driving
In Quebec, 57 per cent of drivers admitted to disobeying traffic signs while driving​

source: Survey suggests N.B. drivers have worst anger issues | CTV News

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.

Drivers in New Brunswick have the most road rage -- at least according to a new survey that asked motorists whether they have anger issues behind the wheel.

The survey of about 1,500 Canadians found 61 per cent of New Brunswickers self-identified as having road rage. That compared to 51 per cent in the Prairie provinces, 48 per cent in Ontario, 43 per cent in B.C. and just 30 per cent in Quebec.

In the Atlantic provinces as a whole the number of those who identified as having road rage hovered around 44 per cent. And in Nova Scotia, 58 per cent of those surveyed said they don’t experience road rage at all while driving.

Gary Howard, spokesperson for CAA, said he thinks the results would be much different if the survey had asked New Brunswick drivers how they rated drivers in other provinces.

Instead it asked drivers to self-assess how they react to other New Brunswick drivers –- whether they’ve experienced bad or aggressive driving and if they’ve reacted to it in kind.

"What may be aggressive in our province is just how you normally drive in other provinces,” Howard told CTV Atlantic.
And the term ‘road rage’ can have a wide interpretation, he said.

“It means different things to different people, but typically tailgating, aggressive speeding, even things you think are not aggressive: driving in the left lane when you’re not passing somebody –- that can actually create road rage.”

Tom Howell, a New Brunswick driver, said he agrees drivers in his province are relatively “courteous” on the road, but he does admit to getting a little heated from time to time behind the wheel.

“I try and control it. I don’t holler at people, I holler in my own head but I don’t holler or shake my fist. That’s all you can do,” Howell said.

The survey was commissioned by AutoTrader.ca, with respondents asked questions about their pet peeves in other drivers and which actions, such as texting or tailgating, ticked them off the most.

Across Canada, Canadians were united in their annoyance at those who text or talk while driving, with almost 30 per cent saying it was their biggest pet peeve.

But 15 per cent of those surveyed admitted they are among the culprits, often texting while they drive in spite of the risk.

Among the other findings:
36 per cent said they sometimes talk on the phone while driving
Of those who talk and drive, 27 per cent use a handheld device
20 per cent of Canadians hate drivers who tailgate
Over 50 per cent of those surveyed admitted to disobeying traffic signs while driving
In Quebec, 57 per cent of drivers admitted to disobeying traffic signs while driving
source: Survey suggests N.B. drivers have worst anger issues | CTV News

There's very little that pisses me off more than some A$$hole tailgating me -second would be A$$holes on the cell phone!

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
doing "exactly" the speed limit and constantly falling just under it

followed closely by...the driver yapping their face off while looking intently at their passenger

gtf out of my way

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
doing "exactly" the speed limit and constantly falling just under it

followed closely by...the driver yapping their face off while looking intently at their passenger

gtf out of my way

I think those speed limits are set for ideal road and weather conditions in mind which of course is a matter of personal judgment, however better to be safe than sorry! :)

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
I think those speed limits are set for ideal road and weather conditions in mind which of course is a matter of personal judgment, however better to be safe than sorry! :)
I think those speed limits are set for the average moron whose driving skills suck

I also think people aren't very good at self moderation so they do it for us by setting limits and it works to a degree. People still pull incredibly stupid moves...I find commuter traffic to be the safest to drive in for the most part as they know the road and are skilled for the most part..and Saturday traffic to be the worst..I've only had one speeding ticket in my whole life...people need to share the road and be respectful of others, drive for the conditions of the road and learn when it's time to burn their license which for some should be at 40 and others do okay at 90.

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
The common driver thing here in Southern Ontario that gets my wick, is that every second driver here enters controlled access highways going about 80 kph at the end of the ramp, never mind if traffic is moving at 130. May they all die horrible deaths hit from behind by slow moving cement trucks.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
The common driver thing here in Southern Ontario that gets my wick, is that every second driver here enters controlled access highways going about 80 kph at the end of the ramp, never mind if traffic is moving at 130. May they all die horrible deaths hit from behind by slow moving cement trucks.
I found a big difference going from my little 4 to a 6...I feel much safer now when I tromp on the gas knowing that the bloody thing is actually going to accelerate before someone enters my back seat doing 130.

I'll never go back to a little car again.

screw Suzuki

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
I found a big difference going from my little 4 to a 6...I feel much safer now when I tromp on the gas knowing that the bloody thing is actually going to accelerate before someone enters my back seat doing 130.

I'll never go back to a little car again.

screw Suzuki
I drive a small car because I commute ridiculous distances. I also prefer driving small cars "European" style which means with a manual transmission and hell-bent-for-leather. Anyway, my agile little beasty hits the merge at traffic speed every time. It would be a stretch to do that with an automatic transmission on little car, though. The peddle would have to be to the floor.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.

So W.T.F. speed would you have people driving down the ramp at? Here it is generally 50 kmh.

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
So W.T.F. speed would you have people driving down the ramp at? Here it is generally 50 kmh.

You don't drive "at a speed limit" on an acceleration ramp. You accelerate on an acceleration ramp and when you reach the point of merging with traffic you MUST BE moving the same speed exactly as the traffic with which you are merging. That is the varying speed that you "drive down the ramp". That is the law, that is common sense and that is how you drive. YOU DO NOT ENTER A HIGHWAY LANE AT 50kph AND THEN ACCELERATE UP TO HIGHWAY SPEED. If that is how you actually drive, you need to be re-tested, soonest

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
You don't drive "at a speed limit" on an acceleration ramp. You accelerate on an acceleration ramp and when you reach the point of merging with traffic you MUST BE moving the same speed exactly as the traffic with which you are merging. That is the varying speed that you "drive down the ramp". That is the law, that is common sense and that is how you drive. YOU DO NOT ENTER A HIGHWAY LANE AT 50kph AND THEN ACCELERATE UP TO HIGHWAY SPEED. If that is how you actually drive, you need to be re-tested, soonest

I thought we were talking about the ramp, not the merge lane. :)

Haven't seen it happen yet!

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
I thought we were talking about the ramp, not the merge lane. :)

Haven't seen it happen yet!
JLM it is a ramp, a merge lane is different....lol

haven't seen what happen yet?

8O you are starting to scare me now

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
haven't seen what happen yet?
/QUOTE]

Any one being killed driving down the ramp at 50 kmh.
YEAH!!! THE GUY BEHIND YOU WHO HAS NO ROOM TO ACELLERATE AFTER HE HAS PILED UP BEHIND GRANDMA DRIVIN'MISS DAISY AT 50kph 20 METERS BEFORE HE HAS TO GO 120!!!

Please, please tell me that you don't REALLY drive like that?

You must be in Southern Ontario where it is a common malady.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
Merge lanes are generally straight, ramps of often curves with a 200' radius or less.
yes...genergally you will come off of the ramp onto a merge lane...sometimes we have collector lanes on our expressway...very long and you can merge slowly if you want I guess....some ramps are very short others turn into a merge lane