"When we do it right, it is lawful"......

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
and when we do it right, it enhances public safety"

Toronto police chief Mark Saunders on carding

The pressure is growing on Toronto police to abolish the controversial practice of carding, but the city's police chief continues to back it.

Carding allows police officers to stop and question people to gather information — intelligence that is then stored indefinitely in a secret database. Critics have blasted it for targeting young black men and others from ethnic minorities.

Police chief Mark Saunders has defended the practice, saying it enhances community safety and is a key part of his police force's strategy when it comes to dealing with gangs in the city.

But with Mayor John Tory calling for an end to carding and another legal challenge being launched against the practice, will Saunders still stand behind it?

Saunders will speak with Metro Morning host Matt Galloway at 7:13 a.m. ET on the carding issue and more.

Toronto police chief Mark Saunders talks carding on Metro Morning - Toronto - CBC News

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
i have mixed thinking on carding

we'll see where this goes

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
Clearly we should just let the thugs run free. I hope these same people don't complain next time some people get killed by drive by shootings and complain that the police aren't doing enough.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
I first want to know how Walter feels about this so I can support the counter argument.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Clearly we should just let the thugs run free. I hope these same people don't complain next time some people get killed by drive by shootings and complain that the police aren't doing enough.

Well, if opposition to any police tactic that might be unfair or discriminatory equals favoring "letting the thugs run free," then I have to surmise that you would support randomly shooting young non-white men. Because if you oppose the police randomly shooting young non-white men, you are obviously advocating letting the thugs run free.

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
There isn't much evidence that "carding" catches thugs. What it does is go against every constitutional document written in our language since and including the Magna Carta.

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
I first want to know how Walter feels about this so I can support the counter argument.