MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
There are no big investments coming from the east or the south. China is looking east and north for their trading partners, not a nickle will be coming to BC unless it is heroin from the Triad.

Northboy

Electoral Member
Great news!!!

There is a lot of investment moving into BC from overseas, eh??

In our area there is lots of foreign investment in farmland. This is due to the hay pressing plants as there is a ready market for forage feed overseas.

Investment in major projects not so much right now. Nothing substantial is going to happen in resource industries until the First Nation issues are resolved. Our MLA is John Rustad who is working on the First Nations file.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
"the hay pressing plants" I thought that was a cow or a sheep.
I would thing BC weather could grow something more valuable than hay as that is what is grown on 'marginal land'.

Northboy

Electoral Member
"the hay pressing plants" I thought that was a cow or a sheep.
I would thing BC weather could grow something more valuable than hay as that is what is grown on 'marginal land'.

The Nechako Valley is famous amongst farmers for growing alfalfa. Alfalfa as an export sells for approx. $350 US / Ton.

The area also grows good Timothy/ Brome hay (for horses). This hay commands a price of $600 US / Ton

There is very little irrigation in our area, so forage crops are the most realistic to base a farm business on.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
That isn't too far off inland prices, being in BC that should mean you get 2 crops a year while in AB you get one heavy one or 2 light ones.

The price isn't enough as the missing data is how many bales per field size is missing. Foreign owned has never been a good deal for the locals be it hay or anything else that you would find on plantations in Central America. Just because the customers are the US you can bet it is done on the cheap.
Hay and grazing animals is the best and cheapest way to upgrade marginal soil into something more productive, especially if that area sees a slight increase in moisture in the summer months, if not then winter rains have to be diverted into aquifers to be used in the drier times.
It seems the land is determined to be for hay export that goes to the owners of the land, good luck in trying to break that cycle.