Don't Count Canada out just yet - TD Bank

Northboy

Electoral Member
Don’t bet against Canada just yet, say TD economists

As an economic developer I believe that the TD is right on this one. There is a lot of innovation happening and with the establishment of Tech hubs and innovation centres there is more help for the entrepreneur than ever before.

The recent approval of equity crowdfunding by the various security commissions for the provinces doesn't hurt a bit either.

We have great potential for the future.

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
I never count Canada out, not for a second.

It doesn't get much better that this.

Northboy

Electoral Member
I never count Canada out, not for a second.

It doesn't get much better that this.
I am meeting a lot of youth that are looking to build new businesses. There is a lot of support for them:

Junior Achievement - just got more funding

Futurpreneur Canada - Just got new funding

We have extended both of these programs in the past year.

We might be lagging behind the US in startups, but we are getting structured to catch up.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
Housing crumbles so the next 'boom' is individuals' starting up small businesses. Great idea, I'm going to assume shoveling snow for other people will need a business permit now. Not that it is a bad thing because now the 'hobby guy' can write off his expenses and justify needing a car just for yourself.

Northboy

Electoral Member
Housing crumbles so the next 'boom' is individuals' starting up small businesses. Great idea, I'm going to assume shoveling snow for other people will need a business permit now. Not that it is a bad thing because now the 'hobby guy' can write off his expenses and justify needing a car just for yourself.

I think there is going to be a boom in internet businesses (businesses that provide business to business services like social media management) that are going to spring up across the country. There are lots of opportunities in "localizing" eservices. People are starting to value information that is timely and local. Facebook especially has been adopted by a major portion of the rural and small town population. This connectivity will lead to more economic activity. Educational products designed for mobile devices is another sector that will expand, both for domestic use and as exports.

At present as a country we are underutilizing our Human Capital, but I'm confident we will find ways to engage the population in the growing of our economy.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
As long as they don't forget the real revenue generators. That is the resource industries. The only place we can generate new capital, everything else is just recirculating existing money.

Northboy

Electoral Member
As long as they don't forget the real revenue generators. That is the resource industries. The only place we can generate new capital, everything else is just recirculating existing money.

I absolutely agree we are a resource nation first, but this other activity can help fill in the gaps.

The mandate of my office is economic diversity, so I tend to focus my attention on new industries.

Examples of industries that have diversified my local area:

1. Wood Pellets for Bio Fuels - This industry is approx. 15 years old and is now well established with multiple plants operating in BC

2.Hay Pressing for export- This industry is just getting established but we now have 2 plants exporting hay from our region.

3.Alfalfa pellets for green manure.- Alfalfa pellets do a great job of soils building. This industry is very new and the marketing for the product is just getting off the ground now

4.Drones for use in forestry management/ other mapping services - New industry just getting started with 3 companies that I know of just getting started

5. Craft Breweries and a Winery (Pat Bell's ice wine project) - 2 new craft breweries in Terrace

Alberta’s rate of entrepreneurship best in Canada | Calgary Herald

Alberta is leading the nation in entrepreneurship

Small businesses call that recirculating money "cash flow" and its their life blood. This is a good thing.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
Either that or the ones are being chosen to be left holding the bag.
How about some inexpensice stainless steel tire chains for the ones in the east who will be needing such things. Sandbags that deploy sand when the wheels start to spin.
E-bikes should become popular in urban centers as no insurance and no drivers needed, after the customer base is there repairs and parts will keep the business functioning. Now about that front wheel drive chopper??

Sell it in bulk and let the buyers create the final products. Resourse nations don't get to do the manufacturing also, if they did nobody would have any money to become the customers.
Having the raw materials would means we have the best chance of making it through, tough times.