Live Scorpion found on organic bananas from B.C. grocery store

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
Live Scorpion found on organic bananas from B.C. grocery store

A scorpion hitched a ride to Victoria, and then went home with a local shopper, much to her surprise and alarm.

Christy Smith found the scorpion in a bunch of organic bananas she bought at Thrifty Foods in Fairfield.

Smith says it was still alive when she discovered it under a sticker, but her ninja reflex kicked in.

"All I noticed was the legs were moving," says Smith. "I freaked out, pulled off the sticker and smashed it with the nearest heavy object on my counter, and then was like, what was that?"

Upon further inspection, Smith was shocked to see that the creature appeared to be a small scorpion.

"I'm going to think twice before I stick my hand into the middle of the banana pit next time. I might actually buy non-organic next time or make sure there's no hiding spots on there or any creepy-crawlers."

Scorpions rare in Canada

Scorpions are venomous, but only a small percentage of the 1,500 known species of scorpions in the world are potentially deadly to humans.

"Some scorpions can have a very nasty sting," says Murray Isman, a professor of entomology and toxicology at the University of British Columbia.

"Most of them tend to have more of a bee-like or wasp-like sting, painful but not terribly life-threatening."

He says it's very unusual to see a scorpion on fresh produce in B.C.

There's only one native scorpion — the northern or boreal scorpion — and it's only found in the southernmost Okanagan Valley in the Osoyoos area.

The creatures live mostly in tropical and subtropical areas, typically in deserts, but sometimes in rainforests as well.

Isman says the stowaway likely came from Costa Rica, as most of the bananas that come into Canada are of Central or South American origin.

Double-check produce

Thrifty Foods spokeswoman Erin Coulson says she's surprised by the discovery of a scorpion, but that occasionally tropical insects do arrive with produce.

She says it's fairly common in the food industry.

"It does happen from time to time. We get a bit of a stowaway with a shipment. Most often we notice that before it's put on the shelf," Coulson says.

She recommends checking produce bought at any grocery store the way you would fruit and vegetables from the garden.

Thrifty Foods says it will give Smith a full refund and a gift card to make up for the incident.

source: Scorpion found on organic bananas from B.C. grocery store - British Columbia - CBC News

Check you banana..

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
I can't believe she killed it.

I've never found anything even remotely as cool as that.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Of course they are not native to BC, don't be so stupid..

However exotic bugs have known to hitch a ride to Canada in fruits and in tropical plants purchased at the store locally.

We just unwittingly invite them into our home.
But they are native. A big chunk of southern BC is desert.

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
Once I was bitten on my leg by a Black Widow- doctor said if it was closer by my heart I wouldn't be here.

It put enough venom in my to paralyze my leg for a week

Not a real fan of spiders after that, or taking naps under palm trees in LA parks

Ludlow

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 7, 2014
wherever i sit down my ars
Well coincidentally my ex brother in law got bit on the fanger the other day and I guess his whole arm is numb. Couldn't happen to a nicer guy I must say. But ,,they're not dangerous.

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
Halifax weatherman finds scorpion in his Costco bananas
Michael Tutton, THE CANADIAN PRESS
First posted: Monday, August 14, 2017 10:25 AM EDT | Updated: Monday, August 14, 2017 06:19 PM EDT
HALIFAX — A Halifax-based weatherman says he got more than he bargained for during a recent Costco trip — a live scorpion in his bag of bananas.
Nathan Coleman, a reporter for The Weather Network, says he was unloading groceries on Friday when his 11-year-old daughter spotted something squirming in a plastic bag.
Coleman says he dismissed the rustling until his mother put the bananas away and saw the scorpion.
“It was as scary as it was shocking,” Coleman said in an interview. “It’s just such a strange bug.”
He says he double-bagged the scorpion and drove to the Nova Scotia Museum of Natural History, where it was placed in alcohol and kept alongside other creatures who’ve arrived from tropical locations.
Andrew Hebda, the museum’s zoologist, said it’s the first such arrival he knows of where the museum has received a specimen from a banana shipment, but other scorpions have come into the province in fruit.
He said it is likely that a few of the potentially dangerous arachnid arrive in the city each year.
“We call them hitchhikers ... everything from snakes to frogs to spiders,” he said.
Hebda said so far he’s been able to classify the migrant from Guatemala as belonging to the general class of Buthids, a large family of scorpions which have a fat tail.
Though the chances are slim the average fruit shopper will run into similar creatures, the zoologist nonetheless suggests people take a moment to run their produce under a tap.
“If you get fruit from tropical areas, wash it off, as it can take off any insects and generally puts them into cold shock,” he said.
Hebda said the scorpion delivered to the museum was capable of delivering a fairly nasty sting, though he doesn’t think it would be lethal.
“Most of these invertebrates are quite shy and tend to avoid the big, hairy, screamy things like us,” he added.
Hebda said “on the positive side,” the arrival of the occasional scorpion is a sign of fewer chemicals being used on the fruit — in the past, heavy use of pesticides would have eliminated most unwanted visitors.
Hebda said he has a number of dead scorpions in his collection delivered by citizens over the years.
A spokesman for Costco says the chain is looking into the matter.
“We are aware of the incident and are investigating,” wrote Ron Damiani, a spokesman for Costco, in an email.
Coleman says a warehouse manager has apologized to him, but he thinks the product should be pulled from the shelves.
“I think it would be funnier if I was younger ... but I have kids and having that (scorpion) in such close proximity, we were lucky.”
A video posted on The Weather Network website — which has been viewed more than 114,000 times — shows Coleman on his deck holding up a plastic bag, the squirming palm-sized scorpion inside.
“It’s actually very surreal,” he said. “I cover all of Atlantic Canada, but I didn’t have to go very far to find this story. It was right in my kitchen.”
A scorpion is shown in a banana bag in Halifax in this recent handout photo taken from video. A weatherman says he got more than he bargained for during a recent trip to a Costco in Halifax after finding a live scorpion in a bag of bananas. Nathan Coleman, a reporter for The Weather Network, says he was unloading groceries when his 11-year-old daughter spotted something squirming in a plastic bag. (THE CANADIAN PRESS/HO - Nathan Coleman)

Halifax weatherman finds scorpion in his Costco bananas | Canada | News | Toront