Sepp Blatter to resign as FIFA president despite re-election amid corruption scandal

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Sepp Blatter to resign as FIFA president despite re-election amid corruption scandal | National Post

Now open the books for the world to see.
Independent investigators appointed to go thru the files.
Those on the board to be replaced.
Complete and open cooperation with any National/Federal Police force requesting and files.
New members elected to have the wealth and assets in public view.

FIFA president Sepp Blatter will resign from soccer’s governing body amid a widening corruption scandal and has promised to call for fresh elections to choose a successor.

Blatter, 79 was re-elected to a fifth term Friday, two days after a corruption crisis erupted and seven soccer officials were arrested in Zurich ahead of the FIFA congress.

“This mandate does not seem to be supported by everybody in the world of football,” Blatter said Tuesday at a hastily arranged news conference. “FIFA needs a profound restructuring.”

Elections are expected to take place sometime between December and March.

“I will continue to exercise my function (until the new election),” said Blatter, who looked strained and serious.

Three days earlier, Blatter was defiant and feisty in the same room when fending off questions about FIFA’s battered reputation and the chance U.S. federal agencies could seek his arrest.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
I'd step down too if somebody asked me what size 'noose I wore', let alone 3 times in the same hallway.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
"Warren Buffett just called. Said you had to quit or else Coca Cola is pulling out."

"OK, call a press conference."

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Problem is the corruption in endemic within FIFA. The underlings, the ones who do the documentation,the transfers, the accounts people,and so on they had to know something stunk. But I cannot blame these people as they would be out of a job.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Problem is the corruption in endemic within FIFA. The underlings, the ones who do the documentation,the transfers, the accounts people,and so on they had to know something stunk. But I cannot blame these people as they would be out of a job.
Yep, when it gets to be the norm, folks get lazy about covering their tracks.

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
Now, let's go after the BIG criminals. Next year is an Olympic year and the IOC is even more corrupt than FIFI.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Yep, when it gets to be the norm, folks get lazy about covering their tracks.

When i was in the Army, when i needed info, I had always cultivated a good relationship with the clears. The ones that take notes at meetings, type memos and all.They had the skinny on what was coming up.
It paid off in spades.

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
When i was in the Army, when i needed info, I had always cultivated a good relationship with the clears. The ones that take notes at meetings, type memos and all.They had the skinny on what was coming up.
It paid off in spades.

(visualizes Radar O'Reilly with a stack of three day passes)

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
People want to support the sport of soccer which I think is boring ans slow
I think the corruption just got worse through the years and caught up with
the organizers. I think more than one will go to jail. Now the Olympics. I
never liked the Olympics they screwed Vancouver and BC Tax Payers we
will pay for the benefit of a few like the big sponsors Both organizations are
a huge waste of time and money

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
People want to support the sport of soccer which I think is boring ans slow
I think the corruption just got worse through the years and caught up with
the organizers. I think more than one will go to jail. Now the Olympics. I
never liked the Olympics they screwed Vancouver and BC Tax Payers we
will pay for the benefit of a few like the big sponsors Both organizations are
a huge waste of time and money

The Olympics screwed Montreal in a major way and empaupered the place for a full generation. Serious lasting harm was done to the city from the last Olympic games that did not share the media bonanza with the host city. The IOC got fat and sassy and the Montreal taxpayer got stuck with a multibillon dollar tab.

Vancouver got off easy.

Last edited: