N.Y. socialite sentenced to 18 years for poisoning autistic son

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
N.Y. socialite sentenced to 18 years for poisoning autistic son
Sebastien Malo, Reuters
First posted: Thursday, May 28, 2015 07:13 PM EDT | Updated: Thursday, May 28, 2015 07:26 PM EDT
NEW YORK - A wealthy New York socialite was sentenced to 18 years in prison on Thursday after being convicted of killing her young autistic son at a luxury Manhattan hotel room in 2010.
Gigi Jordan, 54, was convicted of first-degree manslaughter in November after admitting that she administered an overdose of prescription pills to 8-year-old Jude Mirra at the posh Peninsula Hotel on Fifth Avenue, using a crusher and syringe.
Jordan's attorneys argued throughout the two-month trial that she had killed the boy in an act of mercy to prevent the boy's biological father from sexually abusing him, a scenario that prosecutors said was based on fiction.
Judge Charles Solomon of the state Supreme Court in Manhattan handed down a sentence that was close to the maximum of 25 years in prison under New York guidelines, saying he was mystified by the mother's lack of remorse.
"It's very difficult for me to understand the defendant," Solomon said. "I certainly would think that I would hear something from the defendant expressing remorse about what she did - something."
In a 30-minute statement read to the court, Jordan appealed for leniency and again said she had been acting in her son's best interests.
"I love Jude more than anything in this world," the former pharmaceuticals executive and self-made millionaire said in a 30-minute statement. "I believe that he lived and died in unbelievable agony."
At her trial last year, the jury accepted the defense's claim that Jordan had acted under extreme emotional distress, finding her guilty of manslaughter rather than the top murder charge sought by prosecutors.
Even though Mirra was unable to express himself well, Jordan's attorneys argued, he had told his mother that he was being sexually abused by his father, Emil Tzekov.
Tzekov, a yoga instructor who became Jordan's second ex-husband, has denied the accusations.
Jordan said she feared she would be unable to protect her boy because her first husband, Philadelphia businessman Raymond Mirra Jr., planned to have her killed or institutionalized, and Tzekov would gain custody of her son.
Prosecutors argued that Jordan carefully planned the death of her son after travelling the country to find a cure for his autism. They said that Jordan killed her son because she could not accept that he was disabled and she could not fix his medical condition.
Outside of court, Jordan's attorney, Norman Siegel, expressed disappointment with the sentence and said Jordan would appeal.
Gigi Jordan, a wealthy New York socialite who was convicted in 2014 of first-degree manslaughter for the 2010 killing of her 8-year-old autistic son, appears in Manhattan Criminal Court for her sentencing hearing in New York May 28, 2015. Jordan was sentenced to 18 years in prison. REUTERS/Mike Segar

N.Y. socialite sentenced to 18 years for poisoning autistic son | World | News |

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Susan Smith... drove her two kids into a lake and will be eligible for parole.

I can't seem to find what conviction she received other than she was guilty of murdering them.

But she's not rich.

Andrea Yates

Betty Broderick shot her ex and his gf in bed and only got second degree murder.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Susan Smith... drove her two kids into a lake and will be eligible for parole.

I can't seem to find what conviction she received other than she was guilty of murdering them.

But she's not rich.

Andrea Yates

Betty Broderick shot her ex and his gf in bed and only got second degree murder.
Thank you for supporting my point.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
I was always under the impression that first degree murder was notoriously difficult to prove and that's why they usually went with a lesser charge.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
I was always under the impression that first degree murder was notoriously difficult to prove and that's why they usually went with a lesser charge.
They didn't. The prosecutors went with murder. The jury found manslaughter.

I'm also a little confused by the 18-year sentence. The max is 25. Usually extreme vulnerability of the victim and lack of remorse are aggravating factors in sentencing. Given that she got an obvious murder down to manslaughter, I'd have expected the judge to throw the book at her.

Well, if she wasn't a "socialite," that is.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Right but was it foolish to try for murder? Doesn't that require proving the plan to kill someone, which is the difficult part?
Re-read the first paragraph. That pretty much demonstrates malice, the pre-requisite for murder, and advance planning, which is pretty much the defining characteristic of first degree murder.

I've got no problem with the prosecution here, I'm just mystified by the jury's verdict, and the judge's sentence. Until you get to the rich, white socialite part, that is.